HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
from gravel to lack of thru road. things are getting worse for the so called deer-ridge area. I had originally considered buying there, but with the now 5th time that damned bridge is closed to traffic, I would be mighty pissed off. So i went to the land of liver&onions instead.
Yum yum yum!

Old Posted May 12, 2011, 4:12 AM

So I noticed London updated their Road Construction section with separate pages for the major construction projects this year (Dundas in Downtown, Horton Street, and Sarnia Rd Overpass). They will have photo updates throughout the summer...

http://london.ca/d.aspx?s=/Road_Cons...on/default.htm

Old Posted May 12, 2011, 1:17 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Bottleneck city in my part of town (Liver & Onions Park). First Sarnia road redevelopment/bridge (closed), and now Western Road redevelopment.

Old Posted May 12, 2011, 4:17 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Bottleneck city in my part of town (Liver & Onions Park). First Sarnia road redevelopment/bridge (closed), and now Western Road redevelopment.
Ah the two seasons of Canada: winter and construction.

I'm just happy something is finally being done with Western's pot-hole alley.

Just wait until Dundas is ripped up later this month. Looks like the city has a separate section for that project.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted May 12, 2011, 10:25 PM

Horton is pretty bad right now too. The lanes are old narrow one's to begin with, let alone the artillery size potholes on it, and druppy armed inhabitants along that area.

As well the underpass at Richmond is suppose to be redone or something, same shitty design as the Wellington one!

While these things need to be done, its a shame the City keeps putting off major road expansion. They honestly seem to have a counter logical method of road construction. Lets shut down major arteries, not expand their capacity, and put traffic calming measures, roadblocks and other assorted shit barriers on the side streets to make traffic move to a crawl.

Old Posted May 13, 2011, 10:56 PM

roads that bother me right now:
Bradley Extension.. where is it??
Wonderland and Wharncliffe intersection - why is there no left turn lane? No matter how many times they work on that road they never add a left turn lane.
Commissioners bottleneck from Wonderland to Viscount.

Old Posted May 14, 2011, 5:49 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Someday, maybe in 5 years or maybe in 20 years, Windermere and Gainsborough will be linked to form the "missing link" in the city's northwest. But for now they have pretty solid list of tasks to accomplish; it almost seems as if the city is getting its act together. That VMP expressway project needs to get rolling though. Living in Toronto for the summer and commuting from the city limits to Eglinton Avenue, I can see first-hand that arterials are not enough to serve larger cities. We bitch and complain about the backups along Western Road in the morning but it's nothing compared to the hour it takes to go 14 kilometres.

London should be smarter and get the infrastructure in place before it's too late.

Old Posted May 14, 2011, 12:55 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
London should be smarter and get the infrastructure in place before it's too late.
That's the understatement of the Century!

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 4:40 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
Someday, maybe in 5 years or maybe in 20 years, Windermere and Gainsborough will be linked to form the "missing link" in the city's northwest.
from my commuter standpoint, this would be the greatest thing to ever happen to Liver&Onions Park. although, I really enjoy the nature area at the western/eastern ends of Gainsborough/Windermere, respectively.

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 4:48 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
from my commuter standpoint, this would be the greatest thing to ever happen to Liver&Onions Park. although, I really enjoy the nature area at the western/eastern ends of Gainsborough/Windermere, respectively.
Again using Toronto as an example, roads easily cross river valleys without disrupting the natural environment too much. A bridge does not take up a lot of space, and in many cases it is narrower than the road allowance itself. Even Cummer Avenue, a collector similar to Windermere (except with a lower speed limit, the same level of traffic and even crappier signalling), has a crossing over a pretty significant river valley:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=c...36.15,,0,-4.76

That being said, building a road through a river valley is destructive, which is why it would not be a good idea to link Windermere and Killaly. Too much of the park would be taken up by a right-of-way.

Last edited by Wharn; May 23, 2011 at 3:09 AM.

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 12:19 AM

I know it's been said that Western Road is under construction, but its truly horrendous right now!

I was at UWO dropping off books at the library, Western |Road was lined up all the way from Sarnia to Windemere this afternoon, traffic moving to a crawl! Luckily I was heading North so I didn't get caught in that traffic quagmire.

Horton im sure will be an equal hell when construction starts soon on that!

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 8:55 PM
The Vomit Bag.

4 times a day do I get to experience the horror of Sarnia/Western. To daycare for my kids. Then work. Then daycare again. Then home. I hate that intersection with every whole-grain fiber of my soul.

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 11:16 PM
User Registered

Quote:
I hate that intersection with every whole-grain fiber of my soul.
It's absolutely horrible. Too bad it's just a resurfacing project going on right now... would love to see the Sarnia/Western intersection reconstructed.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 1:19 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Twice, my car (at the time, very new 2010 Odyssey) was rear-ended on Western Road at the goddamn Sarnia lights. Twice...in 3 weeks.

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 1:38 AM

Ouch MolsonEx. Can't say I'm surprised though, with the many great UWO driver's going down there like its a freeway.

It really is one of the worst intersections in the city, both as a pedestrian & driver. As a pedestrian you take you life in your hands crossing, since driver's get over anxious trying to turn right. Pedestrians constantly cross here, there's no lull in them crossing. This causes there to always an endless stream of cars turning right from Western Road going south, which backs up & holds the straight lane and creates gridlock.

I lived in Saugeen in 2007, they still had an underground pedestrian tunnel to stop this from happening. Maybe UWO or the City should build something like this to help traffic flow better. Otherwise people will continue to wait, just on nicer roads

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 1:42 AM
The Vomit Bag.

^I remember the saugeen tunnel (at Elgin) well. Joined UWO in 2005.

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 4:33 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Twice, my car (at the time, very new 2010 Odyssey) was rear-ended on Western Road at the goddamn Sarnia lights. Twice...in 3 weeks.
I actually remember an Odyssey in an accident at that intersection when I was trying to get to class. May have been you for all I know

Though rare, I've been held up all the way to Windermere because of problems at Western and Sarnia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
It's absolutely horrible. Too bad it's just a resurfacing project going on right now... would love to see the Sarnia/Western intersection reconstructed.
You're telling me that you want "Good-Enough City" to do something other than patchwork on a problem that needs a serious solution?

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 2:32 PM

I don't know how the city of London feels about roundabouts, but perhaps that would be a solution there? Especially if there was a pedestrian tunnel like some of you have suggested.

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 4:30 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^I suspect that neither UWO nor the city want to pick up the tab for the cost of the tunnel. Hell, they bickered for years over who was responsible for resurfacing costs of Western Road (hence the many years of neglect).

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 8:20 PM

It could be done but considering construction is ongoing, its unfortunately too late now.

I think London still needs to move in baby steps without roundabouts, the Hale-Trafalgar is a single lane. Sarina & Western Rds, that would be a 2-3 lane roundabout, which would confuse/scare drivers.

Another good solution would be to widen Philip Aziz Road (what Sarnia turns into @ Western), but they still allow the private home to stand there, and the new Rec centre is right next to the Road. I suspect many those that turn are from UWO but hate waiting at Philip Aziz Road when going through Campus.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure