HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtowndawn View Post
Hello,
Yes, the Public Information Meeting is March 24th. I'm still around but have limited time for forums as I am taking a Municipal Finance Course.
Dawn
Welcome back Councillor.

Hopefully you have time for at least one post on the topic at hand (Fenwick Tower Reno) since I don't want to take Fenwick's word for it.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 6:24 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Welcome back Councillor.

Hopefully you have time for at least one post on the topic at hand (Fenwick Tower Reno) since I don't want to take Fenwick's word for it.
Yes, I would like to hear that also. I am saying that you, Councillor Dawn Sloane, really are against tall buildings. Please tell me honestly otherwise if I am wrong. I feel these polices are hurting the Halifax economy. Having lived in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) for many years, I know that developers are treated like they are important people up here, not like the enemy. They create jobs.

I certainly have issues regarding HRM policies, especially downtown Halifax area policies. I can easily compare it to the GTA and see that it will drive jobs away not add jobs to the economy. This hurts everyday Nova Scotians who need jobs. The Heritage Trust is given top billing in the HRM even though they certainly do not represent the majority.

Please don't say that this is some sort of vendetta against you. I honestly want to see the HRM continue to prosper as it has to some degree over the past 10 years. Why is it that now that the HRM is starting to do well, more obstructions to development have been introduced (i.e. more height controls in HRM by Design)? Far more sensible design codes could have been introduced which include various setbacks as in the HRM by Design but without the severe height restrictions. In fact it was not necessary to introduce height controls; the HRM by Design could have been focused more on building design requirements than focusing on height. Having spent several years in the HRM and having read one HRM area survey, I feel that the majority of people in the HRM are not against tall buildings. Isn't this what democracry is all about - the will of the majority instead of the will of the minority special interest groups?

Also, I have an issue with HRM politicians not doing anything regarding a stadium. Just about every other public works project has been discussed over the past 3 decades but a stadium is treated like it is a bad word. If money is an issue then why doesn't the HRM set up a trust fund that people can contribute to? If the HRM wants to use empty pocket books as an excuse then let everyday Canadian citizens help by setting up a trust fund.

When I met you at city hall on January 18 2010 you indicated that you would work towards getting a stadium in the HRM. I don't see that happening. I came back with high hopes regarding a stadium and you let me and many others on this forum down.

I have said that I hope that you never become Mayor of the HRM. I have no apologies for having said this. Please don't say that this is something against women. If I thought that you could do for the HRM what Hazel McCallion ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazel_McCallion ) has done for Mississauga then I would be 100% behind you. Please prove me wrong and provide jobs for Haligonians.

PS: My name is Kevin Langille (fenwick16). I lived on the 16th floor of Fenwick Towers 33 years ago, shortly after it was built. I want it to be renovated and hopefully it will exist for another 100 years. There is no reason that tall buildings can't become heritage buildings.

Last edited by fenwick16; Mar 12, 2010 at 7:57 AM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 9:30 AM

I'm not against attractive well sited tall buildings.
I'm against cheaply designed, ill constructed buildings of all sizes. As for the policies of HRM, vs GTA, apples to oranges. May I suggest you read this article:
http://www.alibris.com/search/books/...0Restructuring
It compares the disentanglement of Toronto and Halifax and how Toronto was give more autonomy and Halifax's roles and responsibilities were lessened.

I don't see this as a vendetta against me I see this as your personal opinion. over 85% of the citizens that participated in HRM By Design agreed with the recomendations, hence in a democractic society, majority rules. I'm not completely satisfied with HBD, but it is a working document that will be amended over time to reflect the vision of the residents. Kevin, I attended all of the meetings and the public hearings and heard the comments from the residents, and businesses so I know what was said and by whom.

The staduim is not a bad word. 30 million dollar defecit is. That is what we are trying to tackle right now. This could affect services, staffing and maintainence issues of our aging infrastructure.

As for the staduim, from my understanding David Hendsbee was suppose to action your request regarding the trust fund. I will check with him tomorrow.

As the Mayor stated, someone is working on a private staduim plan and I have not been updated on the status but will check with him as well.

Kevin, municipal government does not move quickly as I found out soon after being elected. You can't really expect everyone to drop everything to work on a project like the staduim when there are other issues such as the 30 million dollar proposed defecit looming 3 weeks before budget talks.

Hazel is a nice lady but she also has a Missasauga, a far cry from Halifax and btw I wouldn't want to be Mayor of HRM. The governance of this place needs to be reformed and until this occurs, we will always be dealing urban sprawl which does not pay its fair share in taxes.

Dawn

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 9:34 AM

fenwick tower comments

At this point in the process I cannot comment on my thoughts as it would jeporadize my ability to vote. I can tell you I attended a workshop/focusgroup re: fenwick, and have seen the conceptual drawings. BTW this is located in District 13.

As for comments from the residents in District 12, I haven't had one call, email or comment on this project, but I'm sure as the date grows closer I will.
Dawn

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 12:09 PM
Honored Member

Thank you for your replies Councillor Sloane.

Quote:
I'm not completely satisfied with HBD, but it is a working document that will be amended over time to reflect the vision of the residents.
PS: I am glad to hear that it can be amended over time. I hope that it will not be like the viewplanes bylaws that are treated like scripture.

I apologize for the "wolf in sheep's clothing" comment since you have given me and others on this forum a great deal of your time in answering our questions and meeting with me in person.

Last edited by fenwick16; Mar 12, 2010 at 2:36 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 12:54 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtowndawn View Post
As the Mayor stated, someone is working on a private stadium plan and I have not been updated on the status but will check with him as well.
I and many others are very interested in this. Is there a reason for this group to want to remain unknown? If there is a group that can possibly make a stadium happen then I and many others will be happy.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 2:49 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I and many others are very interested in this. Is there a reason for this group to want to remain unknown? If there is a group that can possibly make a stadium happen then I and many others will be happy.
This must be the same group that he was referring to on Maritime Morning today. He mentioned 2 groups but only mentioned that one was based out of Toronto.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 2:53 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Public Information Meeting Fenwick Vision

Is anyone in this forum confirmed attending the meeting? I'm not 100% sure yet if I can make it as the company I work for has some guests down from Montreal and there may be a supper involved. If I can it would be nice if we could identify ourselves somehow while there and at least meet the ones we discuss with on a daily basis.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 3:58 PM

I will definitely be there. Don't know how I would identify myself though. I'll have to wait and see what I'm wearing. lol

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Thank you for your replies Councillor Sloane.

PS: I am glad to hear that it can be amended over time. I hope that it will not be like the viewplanes bylaws that are treated like scripture.
Most Land Use bylaws are treated as working and constantly evolving.
Calgary just got rid of it's previous land use bylaw and adopted a new one a year or so ago - the previous one (2P80) was written in 1980 and has been held together with duck tape and bailing wire lol!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 11:07 PM

Here's the full meeting info (probably been posted on an earlier page)

Public information meeting has been scheduled for Wednesday, March 24, 2010 at 7:00 pm, at Halifax Hall, 1841 Argyle Street (City Hall), Halifax.

I might be there unless I'm dead tired (bit sick at the moment). I would be wearing a black jacket and a black bag with a white CBC logo. I know Jonovision by sight from past meetings... wear a goofy hat or something so we can find you, Jstaleness

Last edited by alps; Mar 23, 2010 at 11:53 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 12:57 AM

I might go if I don't decide to go to violin lessons tomorrow.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 12:23 AM

Kind of a quiet night with no new information really. I'm not much of a public speaker so I sloppily wrote a few sentences of support on one of the comment cards. IIRC only five people spoke: four in favour and one seemingly against -- she never actually said either way but was quite hung up on traffic and parking, to which the developer countered with current car ownership figures in the building (10%?). If you live down there you really don't need a car.

They're looking for any public comments, so send yours to a regional councillor or staff member and it'll show up in the report.
  • utecks@halifax.ca (Sue Uteck, Councillor for district 13)
  • sampsop@halifax.ca (Paul Sampson, Planner)

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 2:36 AM
Honored Member

It looks good. I wonder how long it will take to implement the amendments to the Land Use Bylaws to allow the increase in density.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 2:51 AM

Somewhat related, but I noticed today that both houses immediatley next door are up for sale. With the roadwork done and the Fenwick redevelopment not started yet, it's probably a good window to sell.

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...ertyId=9251941

The other isn't up on MLS quite yet.
http://www.nshomeguide.ca/default.asp

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 6:09 PM

I was very surprised at how quiet it was last night. But silence in this case can speak volumes. It makes me very hopeful. And I heard June for a potential public hearing if all goes well.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 10:25 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Apparently Bev Miller was there complaining about density?

I don't see people complaining too much about this project, given the fact that it mostly consists of improvements for an existing building. There will be more people living there afterward but that's not a big problem for this location. It's really good to have lots of people living within walking distance of the downtown, hospitals, universities, grocery store, etc. The neighbours will also benefit since this will result in improved services for the area.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 10:33 PM

Was that Bev Miller?! She rambled on endlessly about density and parking.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 2:59 AM

Yeah that was Bev Miller... I kinda zoned out after a little while... My head was hurting trying to follow the foolishness that she was babling about.... All she has to do is look at other cities and figure out that that much density is nothing compared to most cities... Including old world european cities....

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 3:34 AM
Honored Member

Seeing the transformation that is taking place with the NS Power building makes me believe that a similar transformation can take place with Fenwick Tower. If this development doesn't get the amendments in order to add units, I wonder if Templeton Properties will still go ahead with re-cladding?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth