HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 12:33 AM

Where is Harrowgate?

Perhaps I've been out of the city for a while - what or where is Harrowgate?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESELPOLO View Post
It's the area north east of Kensington. Basically it's the next part of the El to develop, skipping K&A at the Tioga stop.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 12:11 PM

North Broad transforming

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 1:15 PM

Every time a City Blue closes, an angel gets their wings.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 1:52 PM
Philly Pholly

Great pics! Thank you.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 2:01 PM

What is that project going up at Thompson and Girard?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
What is that project going up at Thompson and Girard?
I had to look it up -- but it must be this...

"The Laborers’ District Council (LDC)—the only majority black buildings trades union in the city—held a jubilant groundbreaking ceremony for a $22 million, 66,000-square-foot training and learning center Dec. 6. The three-story facility at Broad and Thompson streets, which borders Temple University’s soccer field, will provide technical training geared toward the next generation of professional construction craft laborers."
https://news.temple.edu/news/2018-12...er-north-broad

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
I had to look it up -- but it must be this...

"The Laborers’ District Council (LDC)—the only majority black buildings trades union in the city—held a jubilant groundbreaking ceremony for a $22 million, 66,000-square-foot training and learning center Dec. 6. The three-story facility at Broad and Thompson streets, which borders Temple University’s soccer field, will provide technical training geared toward the next generation of professional construction craft laborers."
https://news.temple.edu/news/2018-12...er-north-broad
Cool! Just wish it were taller.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 4:13 PM

Great shots! There is just so much potential along North Broad. It has a lot of great legacy structures and institutions along it, and a ton of empty space on which to build.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia;8649161[img
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48449318092_da4e68901a_b.jpg[/img]
I did Philly Free Streets on Saturday, and I was able to gain access to the Uptown Theater while there. I'm happy to say that, not only are there ongoing renovations occurring, but that I heard that it should be opening in 2021!

Sorry if this is old information, but I'm a HUGE champion of everything happening along North Broad! I live in the northeastern corner of Francisville, so it's truly exciting to see North Broad and Ridge Avenue undergoing tremendous amounts of change.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 4:16 PM

The Free Streets pictures from North Broad just reinforce my view on how hideous those median light posts are and that they should be torn down and resused for scrap...And trees planted in their stead!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 5:27 PM

http://planphilly.com/articles/2019/...or-co-creating

First I've heard mention of the Fashion District to include co-working space. Any idea where within the layout it will be going?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 8:29 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLJD13 View Post
http://planphilly.com/articles/2019/...or-co-creating

First I've heard mention of the Fashion District to include co-working space. Any idea where within the layout it will be going?
Near 9th St, although I don't know at which level. Another article at technical.ly/philly says it will have both a private 9th St entrance and an entrance from the mall.
The space will be accessible through the mall, or by its own entrance on 9th street, founders said. This will allow for after-hours events as well as more time for members to work.

https://technical.ly/philly/2019/07/...urs-coworking/

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESELPOLO View Post
It's basically a subsection of what some people think of as Port Richmond, but it's its own, separate neighborhood.

It's zipcode 19134 between Frankford Avenue and the El. (East of Frankford Avenue is Port Richmond).

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 11:05 AM

Wrong thread - ugh!

Last edited by Jawnadelphia; Aug 6, 2019 at 1:10 PM. Reason: Wrong thread - deleted

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
The Free Streets pictures from North Broad just reinforce my view on how hideous those median light posts are and that they should be torn down and resused for scrap...And trees planted in their stead!
You cant plant any trees of substance there because of the subway tunnel. One reason why you don't see many tall trees on broad for the most part. It's also why the landscaping work done as part of the lighting project was so scattered and limited to plants/shrubs and no trees. The only way to do it would be with planters- which are maintenance nightmares over time.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 4:07 PM
Philly Pholly

I would like to see low lying flowering plants in the median. Perhaps a continuous bed of day lilies, azaleas or mountain laurel, the state flower. I would actually like to see beds of flowers, like in Spring there would a continuous bed of tulips then day lilies. Cobblestone edging. Like they do in DC. $$$ I like being able to look down Broad to City Hall. Trees in the median would block it but definitely more trees where possible along the sidewalk. Decorative pedestrian-friendly intersections

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
I would like to see low lying flowering plants in the median. Perhaps a continuous bed of day lilies, azaleas or mountain laurel, the state flower. I would actually like to see beds of flowers, like in Spring there would a continuous bed of tulips then day lilies. Cobblestone edging. Like they do in DC. $$$ I like being able to look down Broad to City Hall. Trees in the median would block it but definitely more trees where possible along the sidewalk. Decorative pedestrian-friendly intersections
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but those would get stomped to bits. If not on the regular by jaywalkers and the like, then annually by thousands during Broad Street Run. Would look nice, but also likely a nightmare to maintain.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but those would get stomped to bits. If not on the regular by jaywalkers and the like, then annually by thousands during Broad Street Run. Would look nice, but also likely a nightmare to maintain.
Chicago has nice planted areas on michigan ave like what we have around City Hall- but again Broad St is different because the subway vents (and entrances) and other things are adjacent to the curb on many blocks. Median planters are likely the best idea but of course there has to be some agreement of who is responsible for keeping them looking great.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Almost every other city in the world has a landscaped median along an important thoroughfare - have you ever visited NYC? I'm sure we can figure this out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development