HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 9:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Having skied in Dubai I can definitely get behind this idea!

Maybe we should give them the World Cup too ....
why not the Stanley Cup as well? And the Whitehorse to Fairbanks sled dog race!

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 12:57 AM

I would love to see Toronto host a Summer Olympics here if not Summer Olympics then Winter Olympics would be just as great. Just think of what it could do for the tourism for Toronto.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 1:10 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
I would love to see Toronto host a Summer Olympics here if not Summer Olympics then Winter Olympics would be just as great. Just think of what it could do for the tourism for Toronto.
Toronto as host of the Winter Olympics?

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Can't wait for those alpine events at Centennial Park. They can bolt a luge track to the side of the CN Tower lol.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 3:05 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post

I think the men's alpine could use the CN tower.

Hmm, maybe not.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 4:39 PM
ハルウララ

https://www.sportsnet.ca/olympics/ar...st-next-month/

Brisbane set to be named 2032 Olympics host next month

Brisbane is set to be the first Olympics host selected unopposed under a new system to streamline and speed up bidding campaigns.

The Australian city was put on the fast track to victory in February when the IOC named it as the preferred candidate.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 4:46 PM

Interesting news. Wouldn't Brisbane be at the lower end of the size scale in terms of cities that have hosted the Summer Olympics in recent years?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 4:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

It's official - I will never see another summer Olympics in Canada during my lifetime...…….

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 4:52 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Interesting news. Wouldn't Brisbane be at the lower end of the size scale in terms of cities that have hosted the Summer Olympics in recent years?
2020 Tokyo
2024 Paris
2028 Los Angeles
2032 Brisbane

I think any city that follows those three is going to look small by comparison

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 4:53 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Yes, it's the equivalent of Vancouver landing the summer Olympics. It's abit much to take considering Australia hosted in 2000. There have been lots of worthy host countries that have been patiently waiting far longer. Germany, Italy, Mexico, and Canada to name a few. And others who have never had it. It's a slap in the face for the IOC to change the process mid-stream and unilaterally choose a city.

NOCs have had the rug pulled from underneath them.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
2020 Tokyo
2024 Paris
2028 Los Angeles
2032 Brisbane

I think any city that follows those three is going to look small by comparison
But even going back farther to expand the sample size, it's still on the smallish side. 2.6 million according to Google... so as isaidso said, on a scale similar to Vancouver. And yet it's hard to imagine Vancouver chasing the summer games.

Maybe there's hope for Winnipeg after all! Winnipeg 2036!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 5:13 PM

It seems like the Olympics really turned into “big business” at the turn of the century. Prior to, at least the winter games, it went to places like Lillehammer, Nagano, Calgary (which was around 700k people in 1988). And since, really it has been those mega metropolis’ that could put up a bid that would win the games... it seems to really correlate as well to when professional athletes could partake in the games, like NHLers and NBA.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 5:26 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire
But even going back farther to expand the sample size, it's still on the smallish side. 2.6 million according to Google... so as isaidso said, on a scale similar to Vancouver. And yet it's hard to imagine Vancouver chasing the summer games.
It's not really that small though, is it? And considering both Melbourne and Sydney have hosted Olympics previously for Australia it makes sense it would go to its third city. I don't have the numbers but how big was Athens in 2004? Atlanta in 1996? Barcelona in 1992?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
It seems like the Olympics really turned into “big business” at the turn of the century. Prior to, at least the winter games, it went to places like Lillehammer, Nagano, Calgary (which was around 700k people in 1988).
These are all Winter Olympics locations which are always smaller given the requirements. The Summer Olympics have always gone to massive cities (Moscow, Mexico City, Los Angeles, Beijing...). The last time it didn't was likely Helsinki in '52.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
And since, really it has been those mega metropolis’ that could put up a bid that would win the games... it seems to really correlate as well to when professional athletes could partake in the games, like NHLers and NBA.
Pyeongchang and Sochi aren't exactly mega metropolis', and Salt Lake City and Milan/Cortina don't really scream that, either.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 2:59 PM

I would give Toronto the Summer Olympics and for Winter Olympics I would give it to Montreal or Edmonton or Ottawa.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 4:56 PM
ハルウララ

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...d-bc-1.6334874

Four First Nations, along with the municipalities of Vancouver and Whistler, have signed an agreement with the Canadian Olympic and Paralympic committees to start exploring the feasibility of hosting the 2030 Winter Games in British Columbia.

The agreement, announced in a written statement on Tuesday, means officials from the Lil̓wat7úl (Líl̓wat), xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish) and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) nations, along with the mayors of Vancouver and Whistler will work with the Olympic and Paralympic committees to assess the possibility of making a bid.

"With this collaboration agreement, our nations have a unique opportunity to work closely with the Canadian Olympic and Paralympic committees to determine the impacts and benefits of bringing the 2030 Winter Games back to our territories," said Musqueam Chief Wayne Sparrow.

"We are only at the beginning of determining what an Indigenous-led Games could look like, but through collaboration and mutual respect, we have the opportunity to create a unique Olympic legacy for all of our communities."

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 5:10 PM
I am the law!

I don't know how many facilities still exist in their Olympic form from the 2010 games. I remember some were converted to other use. What remains of them will be 20 to 25 years old; perfect time to refresh them. This makes sense as far as hosting games go.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 5:14 PM

I think the business side of the Olympics has become an expensive racket for the most part, but a Winter Olympics that builds on existing infrastructure and has the chance to improve social and physical infrastructure for Indigenous communities makes the idea much more palatable.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 5:14 PM

Sweet!
It feels a bit been there done that and would prefer to host the Summer Games now but why not.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 5:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I am fine with this being an aboriginal-led initiative, just so long as it is managed in the sense of this being a positive experience for all Canadians, and is done in the sense of true reconciliation and cooperation between the first Canadians, settlers and subsequent immigrants.

I would hate to see this as an exercise to shame non aboriginals by, for example, dwelling on the awful history of residential schools during the opening ceremonies.

This should be an opportunity to showcase Canada, not shame Canada........

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada