HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

1712 Bellevue could be the same house. The property websites give a build date of 1920, but the only BP I can find for new construction is a 1920 application for a "private garage".
Hoss, I believe that is the same house. Thanks

I'm pretty sure the other house in the ebay photo is still standing as well.

This one.

ebay

GSV 508 Belmont Ave.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 22, 2020 at 3:04 AM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 3:21 AM

Has anyone heard of Rembrandt Studios at 312 S. Main Street, Los Angeles?

I ask because of this amazing (original!) photograph of a bevy of ingenues in a large faux-room.....(or maybe it's a real room)

ebay Link

Here's the writing on the back.....If you ask me it's rather intriguing.

Do you think the photograph was taken upstairs at 312 S. Main?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 6:07 AM

Not sure I can be anything like complete, e_r, but here's a start about photography at 312 S. Main.

As we see, nothing doing until 1915. (Spellings vary as in particular years' CD):

1911 CD: Henry Argue, Fruits, at 312 S. Main; Crescent Creamery Co. at 312 ½ S. Main

1912 CD: Chris J. Rapp, shoes, at 312 S. Main.

1913 CD: Lavin & Tuck, fruit, at 312 S. Main.

1914 CD: Trunk Factory, and Fruiters, are at 312 S. Main.

1915 CD: Barzillai [sic] S. Ansley, photo[grapher] is at 312 S. Main (as is Enterprise Trunk Factory).

Some 1915 ads:

LA Herald, 3/25/1915

LA Herald, 8/3/1915

LA Herald, 11/19/1915

1916 CD: Barzillia [sic] S. Ansley, photo, at 312 S. Main. As is Harry Simon, tailor.

1917 CD: Barzillia S. Ansley (Sheffield Cain & Asnley [sic] at 312 S. Main.

1918 CD: Barzillai S. Ansley at 312 S. Main; Mrs. Lena Swayze, soft drinks, at 312 ½ S. Main.

(evidently no 1919 CD)

1920 CD: Ansley Commercial Photos at 312 S. Main, Rembrandt Studio at 312 S. Main; Raymond B. Swayve [sic], soft drinks, at 312 ½ S. Main.

1921 CD: Ansley still there; Swayze still there.

1922 CD: Ansley still there; Samuel Goldman, soft drinks, at 312 ½.

(I didn't trace it further . . . )

Edit Add:The photo has a definite "Mack Sennett Bathing Beauties" vibe to it for me...

Later Edit Add: Ah, here we are. A Social Cub of 1916 from Sennett, with Bobby Vernon and the well-known comedienne Gloria Swanson:

IMDB https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0007364...wer/rm64948480

Last edited by odinthor; Jun 22, 2020 at 12:44 PM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
Just an noirish head's up - a new gritty HBO mini-series retelling of Perry Mason begins tonight.

It will contain real (and evidently CGI) locations around Noirish LA circa 1931-1932.

Hope it's good enough to watch...
Why, oh why are they remaking Perry Mason? Some works were so well done the first time that attempting to remake them is almost a sacrilege.

Everyone is familiar with the classic 'Mildred Pierce'. Does anyone even remember the remake?

Would anyone even attempt to remake 'Gone with the Wind'? (Not today, that's for sure!)

Hollywood's excuse is that they have "run out of stories." I don't think that's even possible.

Hopefully this current Perry Mason remake will just fade away and be forgotten.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 4:21 PM

They made a standard Noir film and just tacked the names from Perry Mason onto the characters. Nothing to do with Mason or Erle Stanley Gardner. They could have used Nick Carter, Nick Charles, Lieutenant Columbo's father Giuseppe, or Shell Scott. Heck, they could have said Father Brown was defrocked and emigrated to LA.

The Perry Mason books and shows have a specific aura dealing with right, wrong, the legal system and rational thought. Leave that out and you have nothing.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 6:20 PM

Olive front view !

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
The Mission Apartments were on the corner of 2nd and Olive.

LAPL
]
What a picture ! For the first time I see Olive Street from Second to Third. Except for the stretch Fourth to Fifth – only a few --, there are no photos of Olive on Bunker Hill if you want to see it as if you were driving a noirish Pontiac.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 7:30 PM

To the left of the "Mission Apts" sign are the Blackstone Apartments at 238 S Olive. You can see the side of them on the right of this circa 1955 image.

"Looking southeast across S. Olive Street showing a glimpse of a small apartment house at 228-234 (far left), the Firmanal [sic] Apartments, a Queen Anne revival apartment house at 238 (center), and a glimpse of The Blackstone Apartments at 242-246."

The 1942 CD lists them as the (less risqué) Fermanal Apartments. Before 1942, they were the shorter-named Ferman Apartments for a few years, and before that they were the Gillis Apartments.

LAPL

The 1956 and 1960 CDs show the Steffy Therese Apartments at 238 S Olive, although the 1961 color image I found below has a sign by the door which still reads "Fermanal Rooms-Apts". The demo permit was issued in 1963.

Huntington Digital Library

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 7:46 PM

Perry Mason (2020) premise: In 1932, the Great Depression grips the United States but Los Angeles is prospering thanks to an oil boom, the film industry, the summer's Olympic Games, and a massive evangelical Christian revival. Down-and-out private investigator Perry Mason is retained for a sensational child kidnapping trial and his investigation portends major consequences for Mason, his client, and the city itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post
They made a standard Noir film and just tacked the names from Perry Mason onto the characters. Nothing to do with Mason or Erle Stanley Gardner.

The Perry Mason books and shows have a specific aura dealing with right, wrong, the legal system and rational thought. Leave that out and you have nothing.
From what I've read about this Perry Mason, the info on this series says it is meant "to be more like the early novels of Erle Stanley Gardner, that were written when this show takes place, the 1930's, and where Perry Mason is more hands-on as an investigator, before he became a lawyer."

So, not your father's Perry Mason, as the saying goes...

In the following responses there's a lot of information from an article in the NYT that I decided to include because people often have to have a subscription to read articles online from there, or you only get a few free articles a month and for some that could be over by now this month. But here's the link to that article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/18/a...n-history.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCraig View Post
Why, oh why are they remaking Perry Mason? Some works were so well done the first time that attempting to remake them is almost a sacrilege.

As for Perry Mason being so well done the first time...

The first time:

--Between 1934 and 1937, Warner Bros. released six Perry Mason movies, the first four of which had Warren William playing the charming, crusading attorney.

In one of those Della Street and Perry Mason got married.

--From 1943 to 1955, five times a week, CBS Radio aired a 15-minute serial version of Perry Mason.

Stanley Erle Gardner wasn't happy with the radio series and when CBS wanted to move the show to television in 1956, Gardner balked. So the producers tweaked the names and locations and turned radio’s “Perry Mason” into TV’s daytime drama “The Edge of Night,” which ran for 28 years.

--Before the character’s nighttime TV debut, the best Perry Mason adaptation was a newspaper comic strip, which ran from 1950 to 1952.

Gardner was the credited writer.

--The Raymond Burr Perry Mason was more to Gardner's liking, a properly formulaic version, comforting in its familiar arcs.

The unsung hero of this Perry Mason is its producer Gail Patrick, who in the mid-1950's was a retired actress married to Gardner’s literary agent, Thomas Cornwell Jackson. She won over Gardner, who was so impressed with her that he put her in charge of a series truer to his ideals.

But wait--THERE WAS MORE?

--In 1973, CBS debuted “The New Perry Mason” with a fresh cast, but the show’s overall squareness didn’t fit with the era, and it was canceled.

It stared Monte Markham, Sharon Acker, Albert Stratton and Dane Clark and many well-known TV actors in guest roles.

And...

--In 1985, Burr returned to the role (while Barbara Hale reprised her role as Della Street) for a popular string of NBC movies.

But these stories and the style were more like "Matlock" than his earlier Perry Mason series.

--Now here’s HBO’s “Perry Mason,” decidedly different from what’s come before — like a cross between Gardener’s pre-Perry pulp mysteries and the seedy Los Angeles noirs “Chinatown” and “L.A. Confidential.” Would the author have approved? Probably not — if only because this new show has a long, winding narrative, not a punchy one. But the new “Perry Mason” does have a Della Street (Juliet Rylance) and a Paul Drake (Chris Chalk). And this Perry is still pushing against the powerful, using every resource he has to make sure the system works for those who need it most.

I agree that it's maybe hard to overcome people who are familiar with a 9 year Perry Mason series that was also in syndication after that for years and then became available on DVD and then streaming markets.

But, as with anything that is rebooted, none of us have to watch it if we don't want to. I'm more interested in the time period and location it's set in than the fact it's Perry Mason, which is why I'm going to watch it.

P.S.: The only COLOR episode of the Raymond Burr Perry Mason series starts out with Perry and Della riding Angels Flight and Angels Flight is where this new Perry Mason series starts as well.

Has anyone watched PENNY DREADFUL-CITY OF ANGELS, which takes place in 1930's Los Angeles? I'm wondering about giving that one a go.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCraig View Post
Everyone is familiar with the classic 'Mildred Pierce'. Does anyone even remember the remake?
I remember it...because I didn't like it.

The biggest FAUX-PAS of all with that is that they didn't film it in Los Angeles. It was filmed around NYC and environs. WTF? Some scenes had palm trees in front of houses that were in large pots. And it was decidedly moist all the time. Etc. If they ever make the Sunset Blvd. musical into a movie, it'll be doomed from the start if they don't film it in Los Angeles. I mean, it's ABOUT Hollywood and movie making.

I've read three James M. Cain novels, and he's a noted noirish author of the period, but all the movies made from those three I've read are way better than his novels. I think he's a hack pulp writer. I could barely get through Mildred Pierce.

I'm currently reading a noir novel by David Goodis, whose mostly forgotten now, and I wonder if he'd be better remembered, like Cain, if the movies made from his novels were better, though one of them, Dark Passage, is a personal favorite of mine.
_______

Perry Mason's just gotten attention on NLA, I don't recall anyone talking about Ryan Murphy's HOLLYWOOD series on Netflix. ???

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 11:17 PM

First of all I am in awe that odinthor was able to pair the old Rembrandt Studio photograph with Mack Sennett's production, A Social Club [1916] simply by matching the young ladies' costumes! ...... Bravo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor

This is an amazing find odinthor! I have never heard of a downtown photography studio offering motion pictures. ...< - - I'm not even exactly sure what that means.
Do they mean 'flip' photographs like the kind used in Mutoscopes?

That might explain the large number of photographs for sale. ("hundreds and thousands")

written on the back of the Rembrandt Studio pic.

postscript:

Barzillai Ansley (owner of Rembrandt Studio?) has been mentioned in a back and forth conversation stemming from this intriguing faux 'sailor' photograph.

mystery 'sailor', los angeles cal

You can check out the conversation Here. (by Noir Noir and HossC)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 23, 2020 at 7:05 AM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Perry Mason (2020) premise: In 1932, the Great Depression grips the United States but Los Angeles is prospering thanks to an oil boom, the film industry, the summer's Olympic Games, and a massive evangelical Christian revival. Down-and-out private investigator Perry Mason is retained for a sensational child kidnapping trial and his investigation portends major consequences for Mason, his client, and the city itself.

From what I've read about this Perry Mason, the info on this series says it is meant "to be more like the early novels of Erle Stanley Gardner, that were written when this show takes place, the 1930's, and where Perry Mason is more hands-on as an investigator, before he became a lawyer."

So, not your father's Perry Mason, as the saying goes...

In the following responses there's a lot of information from an article in the NYT that I decided to include because people often have to have a subscription to read articles online from there, or you only get a few free articles a month and for some that could be over by now this month. But here's the link to that article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/18/a...n-history.html

Well, they keep remaking superhero movies with Batman and Superman and The Joker. And Sherlock Holmes movies are one of the most redone characters and stories ever. Etc.

As for Perry Mason being so well done the first time...

The first time:

--Between 1934 and 1937, Warner Bros. released six Perry Mason movies, the first four of which had Warren William playing the charming, crusading attorney.

In one of those Della Street and Perry Mason got married.

--From 1943 to 1955, five times a week, CBS Radio aired a 15-minute serial version of Perry Mason.

Stanley Erle Gardner wasn't happy with the radio series and when CBS wanted to move the show to television in 1956, Gardner balked. So the producers tweaked the names and locations and turned radio’s “Perry Mason” into TV’s daytime drama “The Edge of Night,” which ran for 28 years.

--Before the character’s nighttime TV debut, the best Perry Mason adaptation was a newspaper comic strip, which ran from 1950 to 1952.

Gardner was the credited writer.

--The Raymond Burr Perry Mason was more to Gardner's liking, a properly formulaic version, comforting in its familiar arcs.

The unsung hero of this Perry Mason is its producer Gail Patrick, who in the mid-1950's was a retired actress married to Gardner’s literary agent, Thomas Cornwell Jackson. She won over Gardner, who was so impressed with her that he put her in charge of a series truer to his ideals.

But wait--THERE WAS MORE?

--In 1973, CBS debuted “The New Perry Mason” with a fresh cast, but the show’s overall squareness didn’t fit with the era, and it was canceled.

It stared Monte Markham, Sharon Acker, Albert Stratton and Dane Clark and many well-known TV actors in guest roles.

And...

--In 1985, Burr returned to the role (while Barbara Hale reprised her role as Della Street) for a popular string of NBC movies.

But these stories and the style were more like "Matlock" than his earlier Perry Mason series.

--Now here’s HBO’s “Perry Mason,” decidedly different from what’s come before — like a cross between Gardener’s pre-Perry pulp mysteries and the seedy Los Angeles noirs “Chinatown” and “L.A. Confidential.” Would the author have approved? Probably not — if only because this new show has a long, winding narrative, not a punchy one. But the new “Perry Mason” does have a Della Street (Juliet Rylance) and a Paul Drake (Chris Chalk). And this Perry is still pushing against the powerful, using every resource he has to make sure the system works for those who need it most.

I agree that it's maybe hard to overcome people who are familiar with a 9 year Perry Mason series that was also in syndication after that for years and then became available on DVD and then streaming markets.

But, as with anything that is rebooted, none of us have to watch it if we don't want to. I'm more interested in the time period and location it's set in than the fact it's Perry Mason, which is why I'm going to watch it.

P.S.: The only COLOR episode of the Raymond Burr Perry Mason series starts out with Perry and Della riding Angels Flight and Angels Flight is where this new Perry Mason series starts as well.

Has anyone watched PENNY DREADFUL-CITY OF ANGELS, which takes place in 1930's Los Angeles? I'm wondering about giving that one a go.
^^^
I tuned out when they had a naked fat man running in the street and a dead baby wrapped in a blanket on Angel's Flight.

As far as L.A. being fairly prosperous in the depression, my grandad and mom can say not true. It may have been less grim than northern cities (could always hang out on the beach) but it was pretty grim. The Olympics had little imapct on unemployment, and oil prices were very low so a lot of wells were shut in. The film industry continued, but many films didn't do very well. Peg Entwhistle can tell you about the futility of breaking into films. I may give Perry a second chance. L.A. in the 1930s is a draw.

The 1950s/60s Perry Mason with Burr never did it for me. The way he always had the zinger at the end that solved the case and got a confession was so unbelievable. Burr as reporter "Steve Martin (!)" in Godzilla, now we're talking. Or the scary killer in "Rear Window". "Ironsides", sometimes.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jun 23, 2020 at 5:05 AM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
^^^
I tuned out when they had a naked fat man running in the street and a dead baby wrapped in a blanket on Angel's Flight.
It is HBO...

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 6:42 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the background on Perry Mason. My complaint about the new series is that it's difficult to care about Perry Mason - so far. He is just an unappealing, sleazy guy. The old L.A. backdrop is fun, but that's not enough.

Penny Dreadful is better and has been getting better each week.

No show gets a ten this season. Sorry.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 7:15 AM

We have seen this amazing photograph on NLA but it is so phenomenal I thought it wouldn't hurt to see it again.

eBay

Los Angeles, 2nd Street from the hill...........

January 1887..........

For sale. Link

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Hoss, I believe that is the same house. Thanks

I'm pretty sure the other house in the ebay photo is still standing as well.

This one.

ebay

GSV 508 Belmont Ave.

It can’t be the same house. Totally different pitch and the upstairs windows too. Who know, maybe all the best features are more recent.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
We have seen this amazing photograph on NLA but it is so phenomenal I thought it wouldn't hurt to see it again.

eBay

Los Angeles, 2nd Street from the hill...........

January 1887..........

For sale. Link
I wish you would repeat phenomenal photos more often. I may have missed a couple of years due to the broken pic links.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 2:40 PM

Filming Locations - "Love My Dog" (1927) - Our Gang (The Little Rascals)

I just came across this silent "Our Gang" short which has been edited to specifically point out various locations used during filming. I haven't seen anything quite like it before and think it'll appeal to the guys and gals who linger around these here parts.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
Looks like Morphosis drew from the Frank Ghery school of design!

Here's a little video:

Video Link
Don't mention Frank Gehry unless you want to unleash the hounds.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 5:59 PM

David Goodis

Quote:

I'm currently reading a noir novel by David Goodis, whose mostly forgotten now, and I wonder if he'd be better remembered, like Cain, if the movies made from his novels were better, though one of them, Dark Passage, is a personal favorite of mine.
Except "Dark Passage" which takes place in San Francisco, David Goodis is Philadelphia like Raymond Chandler is Los Angeles. David Goodis is very popular in France. French directors made movies from his novels.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 2:36 AM

A mystery location.

"Vtg 1964 Golden Chicken Resturant Take Out Los Angeles Hills"

eBay

I hope we will eventually find more information on that partially hidden mansion up on the hill.

If you look closely there appears to be a Mobilgas Gas Station across the street. (behind the photographer)

detail

I believe the chicken logo in the window is advertising Broasted Chicken....I love Broasted Chicken!...

Link

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 24, 2020 at 2:49 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos