HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 11:02 PM

Tram to open Sunday afternoons

Tram to open Sunday afternoons
Trial summer service begins May 20

Beginning May 20, you can ride the tram on Sundays.

The Portland Aerial Tram, which connects the South Waterfront District in Southwest Portland to the Marquam Hill campus of Oregon Health & Science University, opened for rides in January six days a week. Sundays were reserved for maintenance.

However, the tram’s executive management committee said there had been a number of requests for Sunday service and have approved a four-month trial. The tram will run from 1 to 5 p.m. Sundays between May 20 and Sept. 16. Fares are $4 with children 6 years and younger free.

“The tram is still proving to be very interesting to people, and with the good weather and stunning views of summer, we thought it may prove viable to open for Sunday afternoon rides during this time,” said Steve Stadum, executive vice president of OHSU and chairman of the Portland Aerial Tram executive management committee.

Following the test period, the committee will decide whether to reopen the tram on Sundays in subsequent years.

– Connie Pickett

http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/...04355625196100

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 12:30 AM

even though construction is over it would be cool to keep this thread alive for as long as possible
http://flickr.com/photos/pdxsurreal/

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 2:53 PM

^haha! the trams look like Chipotle burritos!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 4:37 PM

Quick question for the Portland tram riders out there....

A similar, but less interesting, aerial tram line development is moving through the approval process in Baltimore at the moment. Unlike Portland, however, Baltimore's tram will wrap around the harbor, basically through the densest parts of the city.

Anyhow, one of the biggest critiques of the gondola, as they are calling it, is that if it malfunctions, the whole thing must shut down and the riders get stuck in the air. This often happens, apparently, on the Roosevelt Island gondola in New York City. Does this ever happen on Portland's brand new, state-of-the-art aerial tram? If so, how disruptive has it been?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 4:45 PM

The tram has stopped running do to high winds a couple times. It has mechanical systems to slow the tram down to get the people to their respective stations and then the tram stays there until the winds decrease. As soon as they do, it begins running again. Last year when the city was paralized by snow, the tram was still running back and forth.

From my understanding, nobody has even been stuck up in the tram AND (I know this for a fact) they have not had to transfer passengers off a stuck tram.

You know how much attention that would get by the bojacked bloggers?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 5:26 PM

Yeah, I don't think the tram has even had any minor malfunctions. Its maybe been grounded a handful of times b/c of wind as mark said, but otherwise its a well oiled machine. I love the tram.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 10:34 PM

I think the Baltimore tram plan sounds pretty cool. Ours is modern and all...but it goes to a hospital.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Portland Aerial Tram marks its 10th anniversary

When the Portland Aerial Tram opened, about 10,000 riders showed up over its opening weekend to take in the spectacle of an urban gondola.

The tram marks a decade in service Friday, and it now draws comparable crowds during regular weekday service. About 2.1 million rode last year, a 13 percent increase from the year before.

It has aged well, said Commissioner Dan Saltzman, who in 2006 cast a deciding vote to complete the $57 million tram as its fate hung in the balance.

"The tram has done everything it was supposed to do," said Saltzman, now the transportation commissioner. "As soon as costs started escalating, everybody wanted to abandon it. I felt it was key to Portland's future."
...continues at the Oregonian.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 1:56 AM
A before E

Holy crap!? It has been 10 years already??

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 3:53 PM

For all the complaints about this project costs, one could argue for 50 million its one of the best public infrastructure projects Portland has ever made. OHSU is booming and the entire area is turning into a city asset all centered around this connection.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 11:32 PM

Pictures of Portland Ariel tram while being constructed ?

Hi! My name William Jacob… I was the union carpenter/welder for Harlen’s Drywall that welded The clips on the lower station for steelstud framing and when I got done with clips… I packed up and went to start putting my clips on the iron workers structure!! Then I started framing the exterior and did that for the most part alone but had crew members cutting materials and handing stuff over the edge until it was complete!! I was wondering if anyone knows where or if there’s any pictures anywhere that I could get? Need Facebook profile:-) I was the guy in the green green lift with the little red Lincoln welder and the big yellow grove lift!! I had to use to reach the under side of the tram landing!! I see two pictures on the internet but I was hoping to find better pictures as it was being framed!! Thanks!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 12:39 AM

^There are some construction pictures if you go back to the early pages of this thread. Page 8 for example has several construction pics. Send the forumer a PM for permissions if you find a pic you'd like to use.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 3:29 AM

Thx

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 2:08 AM

I was wondering why I can’t see half the pictures? How do you enable 3rd part?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenaries1975 View Post
I was wondering why I can’t see half the pictures? How do you enable 3rd part?
Photobucket changed from free pic hosting to charged and disabled links.

You'll have to contact those forumers directly to see if they still have those pics.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure