HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 22, 2020, 5:59 PM

Getting rid of bottlenecks IS increasing capacity. They're playing word games.

I'm on the fence about that sort of upgrade in theory (in my city up north). But a 36' widening would probably flip it to a "no" in my mind unless major non-car benefits were included, like new bike lanes and caps.

I imagine some of the widening would be due to federal highway standards, not just state. But reassigning fault doesn't make it a better project.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 6:36 PM

Are there any Interstates or modern via-duct style highways that have actually improved an urban area design wise? All I can think is how much better parts of the city I love would be without them.
Seems like a less and less "necessary evil" that we should really keep to a minimum moving forward.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 8:32 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Getting rid of bottlenecks IS increasing capacity. They're playing word games.

I'm on the fence about that sort of upgrade in theory (in my city up north). But a 36' widening would probably flip it to a "no" in my mind unless major non-car benefits were included, like new bike lanes and caps.

I imagine some of the widening would be due to federal highway standards, not just state. But reassigning fault doesn't make it a better project.
The problem with this is the bottleneck through the corridor would still exist. Only two lanes in each direction would continue through the corridor and connect to three lane highway on each side like it currently does.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 3:45 PM
Here we stAy

Totally agreed, urbanlife. Increasing overall capacity of the freeway system in this area would mean additional lanes through, which this project doesn't propose. Getting those vehicles that are transferring from one highway to another off the through lanes creates a smoother transition, but as has been pointed out, the bottleneck will still exist. The merits of keeping the bottleneck or making through-capacity consistent could be argued, but to say this project 'increases capacity for the corridor' is a bit of a red herring.

From my perspective in Sacramento, I would LOVE to see a project like this here, more in relation to the capping and bridge projects. We have some ramping issues at the 1-5 and US 50 interchange, and if we could cap more of I-5 downtown where it cuts off the city from the river, that would be huge win. Not holding my breath that Caltrans would ever take that bold and needed step though. While not knowing all the gritty politics (and I suspect no one here does either, unless someone has an inside scoop...?), ODOT appears to have a well balanced proposal of highway-focused and city-focused aspects to this project.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 2:05 AM

https://www.oregonlive.com/commuting...ew-needed.html

Quote:
Rose Quarter freeway project does not need additional environmental review, state commission says
Updated 4:51 PM; Today 12:49 PM
By Andrew Theen | The Oregonian/OregonLive

A more than $715 million transportation project to widen Interstate 5 through the Rose Quarter, a 1.8-mile stretch that state officials call one of the nation’s worst bottlenecks, does not require a more extensive environmental study that would delay construction for three years.

That’s according to the Oregon Transportation Commission, the state’s top decision-making body for highway and freeway projects. The commission, which is comprised of volunteers appointed by the governor, voted unanimously Thursday against pursuing an Environmental Impact Statement, a lengthier federal review process that at one point was a key talking point pushed by Portland area politicians.

“I think we need to move forward with a decision,” Chair Bob Van Brocklin, a Portland attorney said before the vote in a meeting held by conference call and live-streamed through the state’s YouTube channel.

The five commissioners from all around Oregon agreed.
...(continues)

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 4:08 AM
A before E

Oh good, that's gonna be a great way to flush a billion dollars down the toilet.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure