Congrats?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 5:17 AM

^^ Wonderful pics of Dubai
Don't mind the haters in here, they are just jealous

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 12:11 PM

Amazing pictures.

To some people on here, those are JUST like most American cities lol

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 9:40 PM

I feel like it would suck to live on one of those cul-de-sac palm tree landfills, there's not even a dock to keep a private boat, wtf? No trees to provide shade, is there even any retail near by? What could you do there besides dip your toes in stagnant salt water while your neighbors gawk at you (although I doubt most units are occupied)? and then there's the obvious unsustainable aspect of it all.

A lot of monolithic projects but none of it looks appealing, just flashy nonsense.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
...none of it looks appealing, just flashy nonsense.
Says the guy from Detroit. . .

. . .

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 1:22 AM
BANNED

I don't get the hate for Dubai either. Impressive new buildings, dense old city full of crowded chaotic street life, built a brand new 50 mile Metro system.
https://goo.gl/maps/kTSAF4odc3mqzUePA

Cool tunnel under the sea at the top of the palm tree:
https://goo.gl/maps/6LN3vGYgZd1HUSko7
Elevated monorail above.

Dubai Marina
https://goo.gl/maps/1dfWavxw5ushmT6P6
https://goo.gl/maps/nGHrD7a2nFd4yLz19

-----

To those questioning why they would have nature, plants, landscaping not native to the region inside the mall, do you also disagree with other cities building parks full of non-native plant species that require irrigation? If so that would include just about every single park in America.

Last edited by Sun Belt; Jun 18, 2019 at 1:39 AM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
Says the guy from Detroit. . .

. . .
Says the guy from Illinois.. Y'all need get new material because you're just too predictable it's just sad at this point.

What flashy nonsense does Detroit Michigan build??? do tell? I'll wait. . .

. . . . . .

Last edited by The North One; Jun 18, 2019 at 3:29 AM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
I don't get the hate for Dubai either. Impressive new buildings, dense old city full of crowded chaotic street life, built a brand new 50 mile Metro system.
If you don't understand why a forum who puts everything pre-war and walkable on a pedestal dislikes towers in parks surrounded by mega highways and strip malls I don't know what else to say to you. Is glaringly obvious it's just that you refuse to acknowledge it.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 1:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
If you don't understand why a forum who puts everything pre-war and walkable on a blah blah blah blah. I don't know what else to say to you. Is glaringly obvious it's just that you refuse to acknowledge it.
Did you view this one?

Pre-War walkable, chaotic, narrow streets, subway access, fairly large old district in a new modern city.

-----

Sounds like the forum is full of crusty old conservative men. Sad!

Or maybe it's just you projecting your personal opinion on every other city outside of SE Michigan?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Did you view this one?

Pre-War walkable, chaotic, narrow streets, subway access, fairly large old district in a new modern city.
That looks nice and all but it's really nothing special. It looks like something you'd find in low-income parts of Italy or something. If I was visiting Dubai I wouldn't even go out of my way to see the old city.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Says the guy from Illinois.. Y'all need get new material because you're just too predictable it's just sad at this point.

What flashy nonsense does Detroit Michigan build??? do tell? I'll wait. . .

. . . . . .
None. But they also don't build anything really and half of that prewar city you are speaking of is torn down.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 7:59 PM

Quote:
What flashy nonsense does Detroit Michigan build???
None. . . of course. . . because Detroit Michigan builds nothing at all, in fact, which is why I pointed out the irony of your hate for "flashy" Dubai. . .

Quote:
If you don't understand why a forum who puts everything pre-war and walkable on a pedestal dislikes towers in parks surrounded by mega highways and strip malls I don't know what else to say to you. Is glaringly obvious it's just that you refuse to acknowledge it.
It's glaringly obvious that you don't know what you're talking about - as is the case with most people who have never been to Dubai and are all butt hurt because their pathetic home towns get no new tall buildings. . . haters gonna hate. . . move along. . .

. . .

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 8:13 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I was going to go there this August but it's Dubai. In August. Decided to go to China instead.

Those pics around town look amazing but those islands and that giant palm look terrible. Bleak and the constant blast of sun and humidity would get old fast.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I was going to go there this August but it's Dubai. In August. Decided to go to China instead.

Those pics around town look amazing but those islands and that giant palm look terrible. Bleak and the constant blast of sun and humidity would get old fast.
Well no worries then. . . you're not likely to stumble upon them as they're essentially gated communities and you will be turned away unless you live there or staying at a hotel on the island. . . I would recommend Dubai in December. . . in late October it's still very hot and humid, even after the sun goes down. . .

. . .

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 8:43 PM
Dryer lint inspector

^ How do you know? I could have Air BnB'ed one of those houses for the weekend. Yes, I plan on visiting in the winter next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
That looks nice and all but it's really nothing special. It looks like something you'd find in low-income parts of Italy or something. If I was visiting Dubai I wouldn't even go out of my way to see the old city.
But it's not Italy. It's the Middle East. You're going to get a totally different experience wandering into Dubai's old city than you would some random Italian town. For obvious reasons. Part of the urban experience is taking it all in. Not just the buildings or how "walkable" an area is but the human component is by far the biggest asset of a city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One
Check the name of the forum and go look at some photos of Dubai and then get back to us as to why many here have an interest in that city. If the name here was SnobbyUrbanPage.com you'd have a point but it isn't....

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
None. . . of course. . . because Detroit Michigan builds nothing at all, in fact, which is why I pointed out the irony of your hate for "flashy" Dubai. . .

It's glaringly obvious that you don't know what you're talking about - as is the case with most people who have never been to Dubai and are all butt hurt because their pathetic home towns get no new tall buildings. . . haters gonna hate. . . move along. . .

. . .
How are you a moderator? Detroit builds nothing at all? And people are supposed to take what you have to say seriously?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
How are you a moderator? Detroit builds nothing at all? And people are supposed to take what you have to say seriously?
Alright, according to SSP Detroit is currently building 5 buildings over 9 stories. Dubai is building 92 buildings over 9 stories.

So no, they are *literally* not building nothing, but it's damn close to it, and it's really glaring comparing the two cities.

Most cities in the US would die to be able to pick a few skyscrapers from Dubai and plop them down in their cities. Lets all be real.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Lighten up Francis. . .

. . .

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Alright, according to SSP Detroit is currently building 5 buildings over 9 stories. Dubai is building 92 buildings over 9 stories.

So no, they are *literally* not building nothing, but it's damn close to it, and it's really glaring comparing the two cities.
What the hell does what they're building in Detroit have anything to do with this thread? I thought city vs city trolling was not allowed?

Quote:
City-versus-city activity is flat-out banned from being posted here in all its forms.
I could be living in freaking Antarctica and I should be able to say whatever the hell I want about Dubai, bash it, praise it, whatever. It has fuck all to do with where I happen to live.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions