HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 4:09 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Did you know that Vatican city has two popes per km2?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 4:14 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Montreal Hot Dogs:

Montreal hot dogs may either be steamé (also stimé), translated into English as "steamies", (a term briefly used by an Ontario chain affiliated with the La Belle Province chain), which are fresh from the steamer and rather soft, or toasté (referred to in English as "Toasties"), which are grilled or toasted until crisp. Toastés are slightly more expensive and less popular.

In Montreal, hot dogs generally come dressed one of three ways:

All-dressed (Montreal Style): This hot dog, usually a 'steamie', is topped with mustard, chopped onion, and fresh coleslaw or plain chopped cabbage ("choux" in French); however, sauerkraut, or coleslaw of the creamy variety, is rarely used. An all-dressed hot dog typically does not include ketchup, which must be requested specifically. Relish is also usually available, but in the oldest hot-doggeries, e.g., the Montreal Pool Room (now Le Vieux Montreal Pool Room), or Decarie Hot Dog, "all-dressed" historically meant without relish.
Michigan hot dog: This hot dog is topped with meat chili sauce or spaghetti sauce. It can be served with or without diced onions and mustard.
Supreme: The hot dog is topped with cheese and bacon. This variation comes from Lafleur Restaurants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_hot_dog

Montreal's billionnaires can always be found chowing down hotdogs at Lafleur's.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 5:55 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Apparently there is a Seattle-style hot dog, which supposedly has cream cheese on it?

As for ketchup on hot dogs, I learned of an exception to this recently:

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 6:26 AM

Bacon-wrapped LA street dogs, with ketchup and everything else.
(this is somehow related to the thread topic)

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 3:02 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Toronto doesn’t surprise me given how egalitarian Canada is.
Canada isn't really *that* egalitarian. We only appear egalitarian when compared to the U.S.

We're actually quite bit off from the Nordic countries, and more along the lines of the UK, which most people wouldn't consider especially egalitarian.

As I mentioned a few days ago, Montreal has a good bit of Canada's legacy wealth due to being the country's largest city for two centuries.

Even though Toronto is now about one third larger and the main HQ for corporate Canada.

Another thing is I am pretty sure a larger share of Montreal's economy is home-grown whereas Toronto is the Canadian base of operations for most American and foreign corporations.

Individual and family fortunes derived from those foreign corp's operations tend to not be based in Toronto, but in their countries of origin.

Another thing is that French-speaking Canada's economic leadership is probably more concentrated in Montreal and environs, whereas English-speaking Canada has several other large cities like Vancouver and Calgary where bigwigs might be based.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 4:27 PM

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 5:15 PM

Bwah ha, it's my fault. This thread went completely derailed because of Mrs Heinz that made me talk about food...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Some people here actually have it on hot breakfast items like fried eggs, potatoes and meat like bacon/ham/sausage.
It is proven unhealthy to eat so much pork on a daily basis, for it causes cancer.
Charcuterie (supposedly "delicatessen" in English) in particular is wrong when you eat some every day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charcuterie

Stuff like sausages (obviously including those in their random hot dogs), pâtés and all treats of that kind based on pork are not particularly recommended at all.
Eating some occasionally wouldn't kill you, but if you ever got addicted to it, then you may have to slowly die in hard pain.

I'm now convinced that eating meat is useless, barbaric and mostly unhealthy. Some fish is still advertised for some healthy fatty acids such omegas (3 and 6), but you actually get even more of these from quality vegetable oils.

So I came to think that we'd be more caring, gentle and evolved if we stopped torturing poor animals to eat them.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 5:34 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The problem with meat is that it tastes so fucking amazing.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 5:35 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
So I came to think that we'd be more caring, gentle and evolved if we stopped torturing poor animals to eat them.
At least in most western countries, most animals used to produce meat aren't "tortured". And they certainly don't have to be.

Now our dérapage away from the topic is even greater...

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 5:37 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Bwah ha, it's my fault. This thread went completely derailed because of Mrs Heinz that made me talk about food...

It is proven unhealthy to eat so much pork on a daily basis, for it causes cancer.
Charcuterie (supposedly "delicatessen" in English) in particular is wrong when you eat some every day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charcuterie

Stuff like sausages (obviously including those in their random hot dogs), pâtés and all treats of that kind based on pork are not particularly recommended at all.
Eating some occasionally wouldn't kill you, but if you ever got addicted to it, then you may have to slowly die in hard pain.

I'm now convinced that eating meat is useless, barbaric and mostly unhealthy. Some fish is still advertised for some healthy fatty acids such omegas (3 and 6), but you actually get even more of these from quality vegetable oils.
I definitely don't eat meat at breakfast regularly, usually only on one of the two weekend days.

But from what I see many blue collar guys do: construction workers, truck drivers, eat a breakfast with sausages, ham or bacon every weekday.

I do eat some type of meat (lunch or dinner) more days than I do not. Probably 5 or 6 days a week.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 5:44 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
There goes all hope for any future statue in honour of your intellectual greatness in 30 years' time.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Right. I could probably give up beef... not that I'd want to by any means. But I don't eat a burger or steak or whatever every week or anything, so it wouldn't be that hard for me. Pretty much the same with pork for me.

But giving up chicken too? That would be tough.. I mean, chicken is like fucking rice or pasta. I almost not even meat to me.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post

Japan... wtf?

Hot dog sliced in half to look like two octopus, fried and served as part of a bento box. Stick first half up anus with wasabi, eat second half.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 6:13 PM

Quote:
At least in most western countries, most animals used to produce meat aren't "tortured". And they certainly don't have to be.
Are you sure about this? What about foie gras, then? Both France and Québec are well known for producing it en masse, and it involves some unbearable torture to ducks and geese.

"Oh, they like being stuffed like that", they claim, lying to their own consciousnesses.
No, they don't like it. They may only be ducks and geese, they're still provided with some kind of little brains, like a set of neurons, then when they see the machine designed to stuff and torture them, they freak out. And they can't even get away from it, because they are locked up in tiny cages in which they cannot move. Cages are designed as narrow coffins. Claustrophobic people, don't watch any video about foie gras production or you might go traumatized.

Some US states prohibit foie gras production, and they've been right. It is a barbaric practice.

But even an ox is actually aware when they're about to slaughter it for its meat. It can sense death coming to it, as it is stuck in a grim slaughterhouse. You can see by their attitude at the very moment they're taken to slaughter.
Animals just know when we're about to slaughter them, no matter what we do. Death is something that every living thing can sense coming.

I think vegans are some kind of crazy extremists in that they wouldn't even allow us to breed cows or goats for milk, but vegetarians are more moderate and certainly right.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 6:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Are you sure about this? What about foie gras, then? Both France and Québec are well known for producing it en masse, and it involves some unbearable torture to ducks and geese.

"Oh, they like being stuffed like that", they claim, lying to their own consciousnesses.
No, they don't like it. They may only be ducks and geese, they're still provided with some kind of little brains, like a set of neurons, then when they see the machine designed to stuff and torture them, they freak out. And they can't even get away from it, because they are locked up in tiny cages in which they cannot move. Cages are designed as narrow coffins. Claustrophobic people, don't watch any video about foie gras production or you might go traumatized.

Some US states prohibit foie gras production, and they've been right. It is a barbaric practice.

But even an ox is actually aware when they're about to slaughter it for its meat. It can sense death coming to it, as it is stuck in a grim slaughterhouse. You can see by their attitude at the very moment they're taken to slaughter.
Animals just know when we're about to slaughter them, no matter what we do. Death is something that every living thing can sense coming.

I think vegans are some kind of crazy extremists in that they wouldn't even allow us to breed cows or goats for milk, but vegetarians are more moderate and certainly right.

Yes, foie gras is denounced for the cruelty of its production but what tiny percentage of the total meat products consumed every day in France or Québec are foie gras?

Veal is also apparently quite cruel though apparently its producers have been forced to reform their practices in many jurisdictions.

As for animals feeling death is coming, that's unclear to me and it's debatable they can actually feel it coming. If a plane is going to crash onto my house in the next five seconds, do I know it's coming? What about a natural gas explosion? A massive heart attack? I would think I am smarter than the average pig (as are most humans) and even we often don't see it coming.

There is even some debate as to whether animals can even grasp the concept of death itself.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 6:59 PM

Quote:
As for animals feeling death is coming, that's unclear to me and it's debatable they can actually feel it coming. If a plane is going to crash onto my house in the next five seconds, do I know it's coming? What about a natural gas explosion? A massive heart attack? I would think I am smarter than the average pig (as are most humans) and even we often don't see it coming.
That's not really analogous. It is the difference between being able to see the future (the plane crash) and being aware that your entire existence on Earth is for food production (the slaughter house).

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 7:03 PM
BANNED

The unparalleled concentration of extreme wealth in NYC is extraordinary.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
You should see about apartments in their billionaire skyscrapers.
Stunning duplexes and triplexes. Private elevators and all kinds of crazy amenities you could dream of.

But the funniest thing is those people run away to their mansions in Connecticut whenever they can.
Manhattan is depressing and smells like urine, they say.

They need multiple therapists, spending a lot of money in their weird mental health.
I heard being that wealthy could be regarded as some sort of neurosis...

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 7:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
That's not really analogous. It is the difference between being able to see the future (the plane crash) and being aware that your entire existence on Earth is for food production (the slaughter house).
I highly doubt there are any farm animals anywhere who are aware that "their entire existence on Earth is for food production".

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 7:19 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Actually... the concentration is greater in SF. Not that it's necessarily a good thing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions