HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Forma West in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Toronto Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Toronto Forum   • Toronto Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 9:40 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I say you need one hell of a giant wad of toilet paper to clean up the massive pile of shit that is the Asscrack, Rob Ford.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 10:52 PM

My opinion on the Gehry towers (re-posted from the Canada board): I love the effect of the white sheets enveloping the podium and towers to various degrees. It creates a vision of modern (and very industrial looking) skyscrapers perpetually rising out of fog or smoke. On the one hand it evokes the very familiar imagery of fog rolling in off the lake, and on the other hand, it reflects the modern city's emergence from its industrial past as the "Big Smoke". The tower in the middle has barely began to emerge from the dense fog, creating a sense of mystery and makes one wonder what lies ahead. The fact that it's the tallest and the most robust in form makes one think, "great things", which is indeed what people think of Toronto these days. In a way, these towers are both a comment on the city's past and its future.

With respect to the east tower, but I don't particularly love it like I do the other two, so I wouldn't mind see it revised, but what looks like a pile of twisted metal is certainly evocative of heavy industry. I think that plays into the larger vision of an industrial (and eventually modern) city emerging from the smoke. I kind of see it like a timeline: the east tower is the oldest, most chaotic and least formed - just a mess of steel, the west tower is more organized and modern in form, yet still somewhat industrial (especially given the copper colour), and the middle tower (the top of which you can see emerging from the smoke) is the most modern looking with clean and sharp lines that you'd see on any modern skyscraper. It's also white, which is a colour I often associate with the future and sci-fi.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 12:20 PM
gettin' rich!

Rumours suggest David Mirvish is planning to sell Honest Ed's

If he does, it could result in $100 million in financing for his King West Project.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Rumours suggest David Mirvish is planning to sell Honest Ed's

If he does, it could result in $100 million in financing for his King West Project.
I hope they keep the Honest Ed's sign because it is just so classic Vegas!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design-mind View Post
I hope they keep the Honest Ed's sign because it is just so classic Vegas!
So was Sam's the record store, but that got bulldozed too. A sad loss in my books.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 11:03 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNest View Post
So was Sam's the record store, but that got bulldozed too. A sad loss in my books.
An agreement was made with Ryerson that they must display the Sam the Record sign which is currently in storage on their campus. I'm hoping they will honour the agreement and that the sign will re-appear on Yonge Street or Dundas Square.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 12:14 AM

That's good to hear. I hadn't realised the sign was preserved.
Still a loss to lose the store, but I'm happier in knowing the sign still exists.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 5:36 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013...t_formula.html

Dense living: Toronto struggles with the right formula
The grandiose triple tower Mirvish-Gehry downtown condo proposal brings up a pertinent question: How much urban density is right for Toronto?

Toronto’s chief planner, Jennifer Keesmaat, has expressed “serious concerns” over the triple-tower development proposal on King St. W. by theatre magnate David Mirvish and renowned architect Frank Gehry. She says it's too dense.

By: Alex Ballingall
Oct 11 2013

Quote:
How dense is too dense?

For city planners and urban designers, that question represents an essential predicament of the times: the challenge of building more compact, green living spaces that don’t swamp infrastructure or sully communities with untenable congestion.

It also reverberates in the debate over the grandiose triple-tower development proposal on King St. W. that’s being pushed by theatre magnate David Mirvish and renowned architect Frank Gehry. Toronto’s chief planner, Jennifer Keesmaat, has expressed “serious concerns” over how the already jam-packed downtown strip can handle an influx of people living in three new 80-storey towers.

“I don’t think we as a city have an obligation to absorb this much density,” she recently told the Star’s Christopher Hume.

And yet, many agree — including Keesmaat — the city must get denser; the question of how, and how much, is vital to shaping the Toronto of tomorrow.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2013, 2:25 AM
The New Republic

Chief planner Keesmaat still thinks she's running Peterborough. 280m is too much density? Her head would likely explode if we were getting the 500 - 700 m proposals being seen in some other cities.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 5:57 PM
gettin' rich!

Ok, Community Council has overruled planning on this, and set it on to City Council for approval .....

Little wonder community council declined to endorse the planning department’s recommendation to reject the project. It now gets passed on to the full city council, where it will be discussed at a Dec. 16 meeting

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013...dity_hume.html

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 9:00 PM

Good, let's hope it's approved as-is, without the dreaded, obligatory Toronto Reduction™.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
Toronto Reduction™.
Love that!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
Toronto Reduction™.
Genius!! Love it. (Although in fact I hate the perpetual shortening of proposals. Give me more height, not less.)

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 3:57 AM
I am the law!

The Toronto reduction would be a few floors eventhough the reality is towers increase in height as often as they are reduced. These towers are looking at a 100 metres or more.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 4:18 PM

I was hoping for at least 250+ metres

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 4:21 PM
The Vomit Bag.

looks unsteady; a bit like Rob Ford.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 7:39 PM
gettin' rich!

Wow! the Globe and Mail found 1 NIMBY....

Must be a lonely old woman

Toronto resident Karin Joeveer spoke in opposition to the project, saying “Toronto is losing too many old buildings to these new skyscraping condos. “A condo tower is a condo tower and we have enough on King Street West,” she said.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle15518696/

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 5:02 AM

Any updates on these?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 9:07 PM

Not yet.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 9:58 AM

if this thing don't get approved as proposed. I am going to put firecrackers in the pants of each and every member of city council and I will curse those heritage buildings.

Last edited by uzi; Feb 9, 2014 at 1:10 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction