HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 8:45 PM

Delete Post.

Last edited by treras93; Mar 23, 2008 at 10:30 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 9:53 PM

Unhappy

i have a question how do you make all windows exactly the same on a building

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 10:18 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Ok. Sad Face, this is the right thread to ask a Sketchup question. No need for a new thread. Anyways, all you do is make one windows. Use the arrow tool to highlight the window. Click on the Move tool. Click on one of the points in the windows.

The window will move wherever you move the arrow to. Just click Ctrl on your keyboard and Walla! You have a copy of the same window.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 11:14 PM

Ive decided to write a SUP faq. Itll take awile,ill just edit this post everytime I update it. Idd prefer to do this in my own words,but if you have any extra info PLEASE mention it so i can help everyone.

Pics will be included soon.

Chapter I
Getting Started

1. Camera/views
First things first,know how to use the camera. every time you open SU,a 2d figure appears. Use him to pratice with. try using,

Rotate(globe) tool,Press the scroll wheel.
The Pan tool,like moveing on a 2d surface
The Zoom tool,zooms in and out
Eye Tool,look around without otherwise moving

The Camera is sometimes one of the most diificult things to use. you will need lots of practice to do this.

2. Drawing in 2D
now you can start drawing. Everthing you make in SU stars out in a 2D shape. I wouldent focous on making one particular thing yet,just practice drawing boxes,connecting edges,etc. try fuddling with these,

Line,the most basic tool,draws a straight line
Box,draws 4 sided box of any dimension
Circle,draws a circe expanding out from where you first clicked
Arc,draw anything from a gentle curve,to an exploding circle.

theres also the free hand tool and hexagon tool to try out to,but these are a tad more advanced. now,lets go 3D!

3. Making a 3d Shape

well,draw a simple box. these will be easiest to 3D-ify. there are two ways to draw a 3d box,The Push Pull tool or a freehand. for making something with even sides(IE,a box) use the Push-Pull tool. hover over the face,click and drag,the shape will come out to any hight you requested. its a little hard to explain,but is extremely easy.

Freehanding is best used for a shape that shrinks as it grows,like a pyrimid. draw another box,and draw a diagonal line from one corner to another. on the line you just drew,hover the mouse over about the middle. the word "Center" will pop up. this is the exact center of the line.click,and drag the line upwards,along the blue axis. the line will turn blue and the word "blue Axis" will pop up. click again,still on the B axis,to draw a vertical line. use your camera skills to make sure the line is vertical.then,from the top of the line,draw more line to eact corner of the 2D box. do this forevery corner of the box and, walla! you have a costum made pyrimid!

4. The Principal tools

The Principal Tools are very basic tools. youll find yourself using them alot. here is an overview of these tools

Select,allows you to select multiple faces or edges with a quick drag,or single peices with a single click. this wil be a use ful tool as you learn more advanced techniques.

Eraser,works like the select tool,sweep to erase all it touches or a quick click toerase single objects.

Theres also an Undo button! hit Ctrl-Z to use. best tool in SU.

Theres two more tools,one which yo will probably use and another which you will need on just about everthing,that is the

5. Painting

Paint bucket! now your models can come alive with colors and textures. there are many options inside of the paint window that im not ready topost yet,so Part 5 isnt done yet.

6. Making Stuff
so,ive now taght you the basics. Now,start a new model,and think of something you want to make. How about a simple little car? itll be great to practice on,and thats the best way to learn SU.

Soo first,use the circle tool to draw a circle,then,use the select tool to highlight it. now,can you find the move tool? use this and hold ctrl and click,you shouldve copyied thw wheel. move it along the axis and click again to release it there.

Now,finish outlinging the car.

Push pull it untill its 3d

Draw any details you want,like windows

but wait! dont draw on bothe sides yet. remember the copy tool? use it here again,copy your model,and then right click. one of the options in the pop up tab is 'Flip along". flip along the axis you think you need,you can always hit Ctrl-Z to undo!

connect the car back together,and erase that line were th winshielpd should be. you should now have one big face. find th offset tool to redilate the faces your hovering over. resize that face till it looks like a winshield. pretty cool huh?

Now,one of the best parts,use the paint bucket tool to color your car!

Under the view toolbar at the top are several things which you can use for presenting your model. play around with the,especialy the 'Edges' one. now,log in and show us waht you made in this thread!

Last edited by Austin55; Apr 3, 2008 at 1:49 AM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 11:54 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Looks great. Post them in the first Post too so people can find them easily without having to search for them. I was also planning on deleting that Goggle Video Thread and posting the links here so there are less stiky's. Should I do that or leave it with it's own thread?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 12:27 AM

Quote:
ks great. Post them in the first Post too so people can find them
Im not a mod,you started the thread

yeah,mergeing these threads would be best and cut down on the clutter. more people would look here anyway.

Im also making tutorial vids,mo's made a few to.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 12:48 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

hmmm... I thought you started the thread... but I guess I did. Anyways, ok, I'll add your tips and I'll also add some tip too.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 2:11 AM

Hey, I have a quick Question.
What would be the quickest way to but something like this:

(The way the white lines are the space between each floor)

Onto something like this:

(the Left Building)

The scale tool doesn't work, you end up with sides that are exponential, and it will never come to a point... What do you guys think I should do?

-Neil

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 2:24 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Well, here's the way I do it for diagonal faces:
1. Make shape (duhhh).
2. Make 1 large square 2D rectangles. Don't make it on the model but next to it.
3. Highlight the rectangle and copy it. Move the copy above the original between 10 and 13 feet.
4. Copy the rectangle above the first one. Move the copy 1 to 3 down on the blue axis.
5. Copy the two top rectangles and move them up 13 feet.You can also highlight the two top rectangles and so you don't have to count just use the move tool to click on one of the corners of the original rectangle and copy the highlighted ones by moving the mouse to the corner of the 3rd rectangle.
Quote:
------ <Highlight
------ <Highlight

------ < Using the Move/Copy Tool, click on a corner.

------ < This corner. <<<<<<
------ ^
^
------ <Move tool + Ctrl=copy. Move the mouse to ^
6. Repeat.

Did I explain it right?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 2:33 AM

Or you could just use the intersect tool

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 2:56 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Yeah, I forgot to add that. After you make the floors you move all of them to the tower. Highlight all the floors and the tower, right click, move down to intersect, and a small window will pop up. Just click on the Model Only button.

Finally delete all lines around the tower and you'll have the floors drawn on the tower.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 3:59 AM

Ahhh, so that is what the intersect button was for. Well then that makes my life a billion times easier. Thanks a bunch Aleks and Treras.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 6:55 PM

austin55 - good work on the intro FAQ.

Just thought I'd add a quick one for "FAQ" or Best Practices:

I'd recommend when using the circle tool, not to always accept the default 24 sides to a circle (as the wheels in your car example). After clicking the circle button, simply type in the number of sides to set (shown in bottom right).

If creating pillars for example, it may be possible to use just 8 sides, and then smooth out the edges after if needed (using the CTRL and eraser).

Just saves on faces and complexity.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2008, 7:35 PM

Question

I have seen many sketchup cities with real building textures,like staunton.I want to know how to get them.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 4:17 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

^^Look for them^^

WOW! Treras! Remember that post where you said something about the new Google Earth? Was that you? Anyways, I just checked out San Francisco and EVERY building there has a model. It's amazing. I didn't know all that could be done! Even the small 2 story houses have textures on them! You guys should check it out.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad face View Post
I have seen many sketchup cities with real building textures,like staunton.I want to know how to get them.
you have to make them,(photoshop,Paint.net(free))or you can get crappy ones from websites,or you can buy them.

Aleks,Google has rented satalites which scans the face of earth and converts the shapes to 3d models(also how they make terrain),then uses the images and street view to make the textures. New York was modeled with the click of a mouse and a really good harddrive.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 4:28 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Wow, I wanna work for Google (not really). Anyways, MO! Remember that link you posted a while back? The one where you could download various shades of glass?

Can you post it again?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 9:19 AM
nuttin

Old Posted May 4, 2008, 2:18 AM
World Machine

Would anyone mind if I house a branch of a company from any of your city's in mine? Such as Peter's Goliath Bank or Patrick's GALcorp. If you don't want me to that's perfectly fine.

I won't build anything until I get a green light.

Old Posted May 4, 2008, 2:46 AM

That was really wierd,I just logged in to ask the same question! whoah....

Wuld anyone like an ad in SF's times square thingo?

DAC: sure,James Is a big box kinda Company!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup