HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
New Pre-Application Conference (via Portland Maps):

Central City Master Plan review of approx. 8 acres of RiverPlace development that includes the following addresses: 0150, 0308 - 0320 SW Montgomery St., and 2025 WI/ and 2025 SW River Parkway.
Does this mean that we should expect a differently-scaled project or possibly a new architect? The previous application didn't expire, right? Hoping Kengo Kuma is still involved, at least.

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 12:05 AM

GBD are definitely still involved, but I don't know if Kengo Kuma is still involved or not (previously they were partnering).

They haven't already submitted a land use review, and Pre-Apps are only valid for one year, so they need to do this step again to move forward.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 1:22 AM

Quote:
GBD are definitely still involved, but I don't know if Kengo Kuma is still involved or not (previously they were partnering).

They haven't already submitted a land use review, and Pre-Apps are only valid for one year, so they need to do this step again to move forward.
Got it, thanks! It can be hard for a layperson like myself to keep track of the various stages and timelines of the design review process. Fingers crossed for Kuma still being in the mix.

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 9:59 PM

Well, it's at least encouraging to see them re-submit the Pre-App, if I'm stating that correctly. This is the most exciting (potential) project going in Portland, and it would be amazing to see Kuma's vision fully realized.

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 7:53 AM
A before E

Quote:
New Pre-Application Conference (via Portland Maps):
Oh good, I was just wondering about this project today, figured it was another victim of the pandemic.

Old Posted May 24, 2021, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Oh good, I was just wondering about this project today, figured it was another victim of the pandemic.
I'll believe it when I see it.

Meanwhile, the city has been sitting on these vacant properties nearby that could be developed with affordable and market rate housing without demolishing existing housing now:
North of Lincoln and
South of Lincoln and West of Naito.

Old Posted May 24, 2021, 7:23 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post

Meanwhile, the city has been sitting on these vacant properties nearby that could be developed with affordable and market rate housing without demolishing existing housing now:
North of Lincoln and
Sure, but we are talking about two different things. There is definitely a market for housing and what the developers of Riverplace want to do would be a very attractive development for anyone looking for a picturesque urban view.

The sites that the city owns downtown, I am not sure what their plans are or if they would want to risk building affordable housing on those locations or any housing. It might be better for them to hold onto those properties as bargaining chips with developers that have private money to develop those sites.

Old Posted May 24, 2021, 4:57 PM

Old Posted May 24, 2021, 5:03 PM

Quote:

North of Lincoln and
That's right where the new "Big Pipe" runs East of Naito. The East properties could be impossible with that and with the rail, street medians, divided bike path, and curbside storm planters.

The West side loses about half the site to the Naito setbacks but wouldn't be impossible, it's just too narrow for efficient housing.

Old Posted May 24, 2021, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nob View Post
That's right where the new "Big Pipe" runs East of Naito. The East properties could be impossible with that and with the rail, street medians, divided bike path, and curbside storm planters.

The West side loses about half the site to the Naito setbacks but wouldn't be impossible, it's just too narrow for efficient housing.
I'd also say, the city wouldn't probably do anything with those parcels until the Southwest Light Rail project is settled.

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 6:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Sure, but we are talking about two different things. There is definitely a market for housing and what the developers of Riverplace want to do would be a very attractive development for anyone looking for a picturesque urban view.

The sites that the city owns downtown, I am not sure what their plans are or if they would want to risk building affordable housing on those locations or any housing. It might be better for them to hold onto those properties as bargaining chips with developers that have private money to develop those sites.
Yet they cry about lack of housing in this market with skyrocketing costs

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nob View Post

I don't think so. The "big pipe" project completed in 2006 starts at SW Naito/Clay and goes north from there. There's a current pipe project that goes under the willamette River. That is happening on the park-owned property to the north of Harrison (and north of these sites).

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTimberjack View Post
I'd also say, the city wouldn't probably do anything with those parcels until the Southwest Light Rail project is settled.
The alignment was adopted by the city council a few years ago and doesn't touch this area.

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 11:51 PM

Quote:

Correct. One is private, and one is public. I'm just pointing out that there are vacant lots in public ownership in this area that are screaming for development. Development of these lots would do wonders to connect Riverplace with downtown. It would be great to replace this lifeless areas with some activity. There's even an underutilized streetcar stop sitting in front of them.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 4:43 AM
A before E

Quote:
Correct. One is private, and one is public. I'm just pointing out that there are vacant lots in public ownership in this area that are screaming for development. Development of these lots would do wonders to connect Riverplace with downtown. It would be great to replace this lifeless areas with some activity. There's even an underutilized streetcar stop sitting in front of them.
I agree with you, though as someone else mentioned, I can also see those sites being held onto for potential use in future light rail developments if needed. Basically what I am saying is those sites will probably sit vacant for a long time regardless.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 3:34 PM

Quote:
I don't think so. The "big pipe" project completed in 2006 starts at SW Naito/Clay and goes north from there. There's a current pipe project that goes under the willamette River. That is happening on the park-owned property to the north of Harrison (and north of these sites).
The google map view of the north property shows the site opened up with equipment right there aligned with the pipe along Naito. There's something very large on the west property line there. If we had access to a survey we could see what's up I guess?

Still have the issue of getting access onto the site with the other obstacles I mentioned. If I were brought this site I can tell you it would be tough on the east side of Naito.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 6:38 PM

Central City Master Plan has been submitted:

Quote:
Central City Master Plan review of approx. 8 acres of RiverPlace development that includes the following addresses: 0150, 0308 - 0320 SW Montgomery St., and 2025 WI/ and 2025 SW River Parkway.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 8:35 PM

Drawings [22 MB].

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 9:12 PM
BANNED

The way this city and investors/developers move I doubt we see anything happening in the next 20 years. Just look at the post office site. They haven’t even leveled it yet

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 9:38 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
The way this city and investors/developers move I doubt we see anything happening in the next 20 years. Just look at the post office site. They haven’t even leveled it yet
Once again, your display of naive impatience.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland