HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 7:14 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I remember being at a public consultation for a project in st. boniface and this guy burst into the room screaming that I was destroying his neighbourhood. I asked him what the problem was. He said he has parking spaces on his street in front of his house and any new development might cause someone else to use them. As we talked it came out that he has three parking spaces on his property. He rents out two to people who work at the hospital and third is for his boat in the winter.
I remember years ago driving in the back lanes around HSC, there was more than one house with four or more cars parked in their backyard (presumably renting stalls out to healthcare workers).

One house had six cars parked across the back of a 33 ft wide city lot. Absolutely amazing.

Of course, everyone is declaring this income at tax time, right?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 3:34 PM

Tecumseh & Notre Dame parking lot has been sold for imminent development. This is a market driven transaction. The sale price and after tax proceeds far exceeded the lot’s existing cash flow for the foreseeable future. A win for seller and buyer it seems. A residential development was discussed during the transaction but I would not be surprised to see a grade level clinic with parking.

If there is a use for parking lots other than parking they will get developed. In this case subsidized hospital parking drove down income making a sale possible for a willing buyer and seller.

I’m hopeful it will be a nice building for this stretch of Notre Dame. If I was 20 years younger I might have developed it myself ...

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 3:50 PM

Although there are a few exceptions, Notre Dame is mostly a pretty drab stretch of stroad… a new development done right can only help.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Although there are a few exceptions, Notre Dame is mostly a pretty drab stretch of stroad… a new development done right can only help.
What I find noteworthy, is a parking lot is slated for development and not an existing building. For cash flows to justify a sale price both buyer and seller can live with suggests demand, inflation and low interest rates are starting to kick into the DT Winnipeg market.

This could be the beginning of something good for some...

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
Tecumseh & Notre Dame parking lot has been sold for imminent development. This is a market driven transaction. The sale price and after tax proceeds far exceeded the lot’s existing cash flow for the foreseeable future. A win for seller and buyer it seems. A residential development was discussed during the transaction but I would not be surprised to see a grade level clinic with parking.

If there is a use for parking lots other than parking they will get developed. In this case subsidized hospital parking drove down income making a sale possible for a willing buyer and seller.

I’m hopeful it will be a nice building for this stretch of Notre Dame. If I was 20 years younger I might have developed it myself ...
Is that the old Shell service Station lot?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Is that the old Shell service Station lot?
That’s correct. The site was remediate many years ago.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 6:28 PM

Free Press

More parking needed

Re: Parking minimums stifle development (Opinion, Jan. 25)

Brent Bellamy again argues for removal of parking minimums in Winnipeg. I live in a neighbourhood where there is a mix of condos, apartments, houses, and businesses: the second densest neighbourhood in the city. There is not enough off-street parking as it is and no time limit for parking.

Two auto-body shops park several cars on the street each day until they are ready to work on them. During the summer, all available legal, as well as not so legal, parking spots are taken by visitors to the local restaurants and cafés.

I support parking minimums that would require the developers who now put up charmless condo buildings in my neighbourhood to provide at least one parking spot per unit and one for visitors. I also think that the developers should meet the minimum requirements for so-called green space on the front, back and sides of the buildings that they put up. This clearly restricts developers, but will help to preserve my neighbourhood for both those of us who live, work and visit here.

Zana Lutfiyya, Winnipeg

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 8:01 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander 90 View Post
Two auto-body shops park several cars on the street each day until they are ready to work on them. During the summer, all available legal, as well as not so legal, parking spots are taken by visitors to the local restaurants and cafés.
Is apparently the problem according to the letter writer, but their solution is to impose parking minimums on condos.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
Is apparently the problem according to the letter writer, but their solution is to impose parking minimums on condos.
Back during my undergrad, I took a logic/critical thinking class. The prof offered a bonus mark if you could get a letter to the editor published that committed a logical fallacy.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 10:15 PM
There is always a way

Lol I'm positive that this refers to an auto body shop on Corydon, and I can attest how irritating it is. However, there are plenty of street spots nearby to park. Seems to be an unwillingness to walk more than A block to get to stuff. Unbelievable
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 12:26 AM

If you're elderly, especially in winter, it's a problem.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 1:24 AM

The best solution for the issue with parking stalls is not imposing limits on condo stalls, but make paid on-street parking and balance demand and supply by adjusting the price. In current situation with free on-street parking the poorest people (who cannot afford cars) are subsidising more wealthy people (who has cars). Land and maintenance is not free and city should not pay for this in their pockets. In addition putting minimal parking stalls limit make condos less affordable and does not stimulate density and public transit ridership.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 3:43 AM

Totally agree, it's baffling Corydon doesn't have paid parking, it's way busier and harder to find parking there then the Exchange ever is. And the autobody shops seem to be the problem in her example – not the parking minimums.

Put paid parking on Corydon and cross streets. 1-2 hr parking on the side streets, with residential parking passes reinstituted.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 5:51 AM

it's the double whammy of calling people's homes ugly ("charmless condo buildings") and then demanding in the same breath that those who buy those homes should subsidize your free parking

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 8:24 AM

In dense Toronto neighbourhoods the successful solution is
1) Paid street permit parking for residences without access to parking.
2) No parking 1:00AM to 10:00AM without permit.
3) two hour parking only.

Works like a charm for residences, business and visitors in a neighbourhood three times as dense.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 6:26 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
In dense Toronto neighbourhoods the successful solution is
1) Paid street permit parking for residences without access to parking.
2) No parking 1:00AM to 10:00AM without permit.
3) two hour parking only.

Works like a charm for residences, business and visitors in a neighbourhood three times as dense.
Not sure overnight visitor parking needs to be disallowed, but adding paid parking and time limits in strategic locations would help.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-kz View Post
The best solution for the issue with parking stalls is not imposing limits on condo stalls, but make paid on-street parking and balance demand and supply by adjusting the price. In current situation with free on-street parking the poorest people (who cannot afford cars) are subsidising more wealthy people (who has cars). Land and maintenance is not free and city should not pay for this in their pockets. In addition putting minimal parking stalls limit make condos less affordable and does not stimulate density and public transit ridership.
The city is considering exactly these reforms right now, and is currently doing engagement for it

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Not sure overnight visitor parking needs to be disallowed, but adding paid parking and time limits in strategic locations would help.
The no over night parking ban is important to ensure those with permits have a spot to park over night. The no parking until 10:00AM is to ensure auto body shops for example don’t use the public spots for their own parking lot / AM drop off. 10:00AM also ensures people working in the area park in lots / parkades and not take up all the street parking. If you need overnight parking for a guest, one can go on line and pay for a temporary 1 day / 2day parking permit.

Before these parking refinements came in to effect, there was LOTS of parking animosity and “ spot entitlement”.

I hope these comments are helpful towards the Wpg parking review...

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander 90 View Post
Free Press

More parking needed

Re: Parking minimums stifle development (Opinion, Jan. 25)

Brent Bellamy again argues for removal of parking minimums in Winnipeg. I live in a neighbourhood where there is a mix of condos, apartments, houses, and businesses: the second densest neighbourhood in the city. There is not enough off-street parking as it is and no time limit for parking.

I support parking minimums that would require the developers who now put up charmless condo buildings in my neighbourhood to provide at least one parking spot per unit and one for visitors. I also think that the developers should meet the minimum requirements for so-called green space on the front, back and sides of the buildings that they put up. This clearly restricts developers, but will help to preserve my neighbourhood for both those of us who live, work and visit here.

Zana Lutfiyya, Winnipeg
Someone with a bungalow on a 40 foot lot and 4 parking stalls off of Corydon complaining about street parking is rich! This is classic Winnipeg NIMBYism.

When someone offers this individual an extra 100K subject to a minor variance for the redevelopment of the lot, let’s see who changes their tune.

A time and place for everything ... this ain’t the place...

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 9:34 PM

Great-West Metals

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan