HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Can you elaborate? I'd honestly like to know.
It's just a page back.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 3:52 PM

I've never been to Philly, but are those dense urban blocks numerous enough to rank the entire city 2nd in the US for urban experience?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
I've never been to Philly, but are those dense urban blocks numerous enough to rank the entire city 2nd in the US for urban experience?
Philadelphia is a great city, definitely one of the US best for its urban density, vibrancy, architecture, but "urban experience" is an entirely subjective term. How do we rank "urban experience" anyway?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 4:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Don't strain yourself moving those goal posts:

I just pointed out to you the absurdity of your statement. Of course they are different cities, but they share some aesthetic qualities - in places - that don't exist in most other cities.
You clearly don't know the definition of "moving the goal posts". How am I "moving the goal posts" by using the same ridiculous comparison method (Google Street View) you did in order to "prove" that just because two cities share some aesthetic qualities doesn't necessarily mean they are alike from a development perspective? Because that's exactly what I just proved.

Look, I live and work in Manhattan. I'm in Philly's core frequently. They are NOTHING alike. Sure, maybe some parts on the outskirts of South Philly resemble certain neighborhoods in Queens, but the similarities end there, from a development pattern perspective. Do yourself a favor and compare, side by side, a map of Philly's core and Manhattan. No similarities whatsoever. Downtown Philly, to me (architectural differences obviously not withstanding), resembles an East Coast version of Dallas or Houston. Similar sized skylines, freeways and university campuses on the edges of downtown, sports arenas and stadiums situated a stones throw from downtown, etc.

New York/Manhattan is NOTHING like that, AT ALL.

Do they share a few architectural similarities? Of course, they are both old as sh*t, and both on the East Coast. But, to be honest, most of the stuff (not just buildings - infrastructure, bridges, tunnels, etc.) in Philly looks WAY older than what you see around New York, and also much more bombed out, filthy and dilapidated.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Look, I live and work in Manhattan. I'm in Philly's core frequently.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 12:01 AM
An Optimistic Realist

I was in Phoenix/ Arizona for the first time recently and I thought the city was alright. Wasn’t dense of course, but wasn’t all that different from other places in the Sunbelt in terms of development. But the heat is no joke. I think dry desert heat is worse than the humid heat people complain about in the South. It’s a more intense heat that can burn you alive if it wanted to. But I had some good Mexican food while in Phoenix .

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Look, I live and work in Manhattan. I'm in Philly's core frequently. They are NOTHING alike.
What city core, anywhere on earth, has closer street level resemblance to NYC's core than Center City Philly?

Also, if you think Philly closely resembles Dallas, I'm not sure what to say. I suspect you're just making stuff up, and have never been to any of these places.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 1:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
if you think Philly closely resembles Dallas, I'm not sure what to say.
Way to edit my comments to fit your narrative.

As previously stated, I believe Philadelphia's CBD more closely resembles an East Coast version of Dallas' or Houston's CBD from a development pattern perspective than Philadelphia's CBD resembles NYC's CBD from a development pattern perspective. Nothing you say or show me will convince me otherwise.

Does Philadelphia resemble NYC architecturally in some neighborhoods? Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I suspect you're just making stuff up, and have never been to any of these places.
Sure thing dude. Nope, never been to any of them. You got me.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Way to edit my comments to fit your narrative.

As previously stated, I believe Philadelphia's CBD more closely resembles an East Coast version of Dallas' or Houston's CBD from a development pattern perspective than Philadelphia's CBD resembles NYC's CBD from a development pattern perspective. Nothing you say or show me will convince me otherwise.

Does Philadelphia resemble NYC architecturally in some neighborhoods? Yes.

Sure thing dude. Nope, never been to any of them. You got me.
Philly is an east coast version of Dallas..... wut?

If thats the case then I have always felt Orlando is a swamp version of Kathmandu!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
I was in Phoenix/ Arizona for the first time recently and I thought the city was alright. Wasn’t dense of course, but wasn’t all that different from other places in the Sunbelt in terms of development. But the heat is no joke. I think dry desert heat is worse than the humid heat people complain about in the South. It’s a more intense heat that can burn you alive if it wanted to. But I had some good Mexican food while in Phoenix .
This is pretty big, not even kidding, that means we have at least caught up to par. But in the last several years its pretty nice, downtown rarely feels like a "ghost town" (outside of sleepy summer sundry afternoons) where a few short years ago it was typically a total ghost town.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions