HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa


    256 Rideau Street Tower [1] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #181  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 12:41 AM
Jayday23 Jayday23 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 323
can confirm that it'll be student housing, under Ashcrofts "envie" brand (same as the one in Little Italy...ie not rentals)

https://enviestudent.com/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #182  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 2:19 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 11,196
Thanks for the confirmation.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #183  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 3:12 PM
LeadingEdgeBoomer LeadingEdgeBoomer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayday23 View Post
can confirm that it'll be student housing, under Ashcrofts "envie" brand (same as the one in Little Italy...ie not rentals)

https://enviestudent.com/
There will be a lot of student housing right on Rideau street. Currently you have the Friel Residence at Rideau and Friel and the Rideau Residence at Rideau and King Edward. This September, Theo ,in the renovated old government building will join them. After that , Envie.


While the Friel and the Rideau are privately owned, they are managed and operated by uOttawa. So are the privately owned residences at 45Mann and The Annex at Laurier and Friel. I wonder if these new ones will be as well?

Last edited by LeadingEdgeBoomer; Jan 23, 2019 at 2:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #184  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 1:52 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 11,196
Weren't the original Envie Towers investment condos, where private citizens or organization would buy units and rent them out to students? This one doesn't seem to be advertised that way.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #185  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 3:43 PM
LeadingEdgeBoomer LeadingEdgeBoomer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Weren't the original Envie Towers investment condos, where private citizens or organization would buy units and rent them out to students? This one doesn't seem to be advertised that way.
Yes--I believe that many of the units of the original were bought by investors. It appears that the investors did not do the renting. The Building Management acts as the landlord and does the renting. It seems likely that the student renters have no contact with the investor -owners and may not even know who owns their unit.


The yet to be built Rideau Envie does not seem to be pitching to investors, but has a waiting list for prospective student renters. Could be that they plan to own and manage it themselves--or hope to enter into a management agreement with nearby uOttawa . As mentioned in my preceding post, uOttawa currently has four privately owned student residences that the university manages.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #186  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 6:44 PM
Harley613's Avatar
Harley613 Harley613 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wakefield, QC
Posts: 2,575
Envie Tower 1 was sold to investors and managed by the company, Envie Tower 2 is in-house owned and operated.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #187  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 6:19 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 11,196
A little history on the Dworkin Furs House. It was built by Colonel John Stewart in 1877, who served as a City Councillor (and I imagine is the namesake of Stewart Street). He lived there for 44 years before selling to Dworkin in 1921. The Dworkins owned it and operated Dworkin Furs in the house until 2012, 91 years later. If that wasn't enough for a heritage designation, then I don't know what is.

La maison Stewart-Dworkin laisse place à des immeubles à condos

JULIEN PAQUETTE
Le Droit
3 mars, 2019





https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...ght-fall-short



Cette photo d’archives a été retrouvée dans l’atelier d’un descendant du colonel John Stewart, qui habitait à San Diego, par l’historien Marc Aubin, il y a plus de 15 ans. La maison Stewart-Dworkin a été construite par le colonel en 1877. On peut voir sa famille sur l’image d’archives.

John Stewart, un immigrant irlandais, a joint l’armée canadienne en 1857 et a plus tard été conseiller municipal à Ottawa. Il a aussi lancé une entreprise de construction qui a réalisé des travaux sur le canal Rideau et sur l’édifice de l’Ouest du parlement. Le colonel Stewart a vendu la maison située au 256, rue Rideau à la famille Dworkin en 1921. L’entreprise Dworkin Furs a occupé le bâtiment jusqu’à l’arrêt de ses activités en 2012. Le bâtiment a par la suite été acquis par une firme immobilière puis démoli en 2014 pour laisser la place à des immeubles à condos.

https://www.ledroit.com/actualites/d...13fe2a6033de08
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #188  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 7:54 PM
Soi-Fon's Avatar
Soi-Fon Soi-Fon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 112
I wish they could have done like in Toronto or Montreal, and preserve the facade of the house.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #189  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 8:01 PM
GeneralLeeTPHLS's Avatar
GeneralLeeTPHLS GeneralLeeTPHLS is offline
Midtowner since 2K
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Midtown Toronto
Posts: 3,584
What a disappointment. That's quite a nice house, the city really should realize how heritage is key in communities.
__________________
"Living life on the edge"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #190  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 11:04 AM
LeadingEdgeBoomer LeadingEdgeBoomer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
What a disappointment. That's quite a nice house, the city really should realize how heritage is key in communities.
Heritage activist Marc Aubin tried to convince the city to save it in 2014 , but to no avail.

From the Ottawa Citizen:

Quote:
Marc Aubin, who plans to run for city council in Rideau-Vanier this fall, says the Stewart-Dworkin House at 236 Rideau Street should be preserved as a treasured piece of the city’s history.
But the city’s planning department says alterations to the home have diminished its architectural significance, and it has lost its contextual value as Rideau Street has been developed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #191  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 3:11 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 11,196
And also from the Citizen, why it wasn't deemed worthy of saving:
  • the home’s windows have been replaced
  • there have been a number of additionsa historic veranda at the front has been removed
  • bay windows, concrete steps and a metal railing have been added.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...ght-fall-short

Well then just about nothing would ever qualify for heritage designation!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #192  
Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 1:54 PM
OTownandDown OTownandDown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 545
That stretch of Rideau isn't exactly a heritage zone... granted one block away IS a heritage zone, but c'mon people. Sometimes intensification on the main street is important as well.

I love maintaining heritage areas, and live in a heritage building. It is one thing to have a building with ALL of its heritage elements intact. It is another to ask a developer to tack on the facade of an old building with a non-sympathetic modern structure. Its not fooling anyone, and I think some of these actually detract from a neighborhood (Take the insane church facade at Bank and Gilmour. Nothing like a good dead zone in the middle of a building to liven up a block.)

Want to make warm and fuzzy feelings for passers by? How about requiring 'heritage' materials and design elements in new builds, rather than crappy glazing and fading aluminum sheet metal? Its about time we demand QUALITY cladding elements from our developers.

Example: Urban Outfitters store on Rideau and it's modern tower above. Heritage clay brick facade, built to the required height per the community design plan, in a lovely arching colonnade. MORE of this, please.

In closing, sometimes we need to accept the end of an era, and embrace the new. Sometimes we need to embrace the old and maintain it like a fine whiskey. Going half-way with either should be avoided.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #193  
Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 2:03 PM
k.evans k.evans is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadingEdgeBoomer View Post
Heritage activist Marc Aubin tried to convince the city to save it in 2014 , but to no avail.

From the Ottawa Citizen:
Marc recently published a book which is a fictionalized account of the destruction of Lowertown for the sake of urban renewal starting in the 1960s and the work to preserve the heritage buildings in the area. It's well researched and is an interesting peak behind the curtain of the bureaucratic apparatus that continues to allow the destruction of our built heritage for the sake of monstrosities like this building and the rest of the Claridge towers dominating the area.

Not that intensification or change is a bad thing, I just wish it were channeled in a way that is preserves and compliments what has already been built.

https://www.crowsnestbooks.com/product/blight/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #194  
Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 3:09 PM
OTownandDown OTownandDown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 545
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #195  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 4:56 PM
Davis137's Avatar
Davis137 Davis137 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,105
I agree with that example pic above, and the same can be said for a lot of the redevelopments going on in downtown Hamilton right now...spending the time and care to restore and compliment original masonry and carpentry on the late 1800's-early 1900's buildings.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #196  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 4:08 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 11,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
That stretch of Rideau isn't exactly a heritage zone... granted one block away IS a heritage zone, but c'mon people. Sometimes intensification on the main street is important as well.

I love maintaining heritage areas, and live in a heritage building. It is one thing to have a building with ALL of its heritage elements intact. It is another to ask a developer to tack on the facade of an old building with a non-sympathetic modern structure. Its not fooling anyone, and I think some of these actually detract from a neighborhood (Take the insane church facade at Bank and Gilmour. Nothing like a good dead zone in the middle of a building to liven up a block.)

Want to make warm and fuzzy feelings for passers by? How about requiring 'heritage' materials and design elements in new builds, rather than crappy glazing and fading aluminum sheet metal? Its about time we demand QUALITY cladding elements from our developers.

Example: Urban Outfitters store on Rideau and it's modern tower above. Heritage clay brick facade, built to the required height per the community design plan, in a lovely arching colonnade. MORE of this, please.

In closing, sometimes we need to accept the end of an era, and embrace the new. Sometimes we need to embrace the old and maintain it like a fine whiskey. Going half-way with either should be avoided.
I want to see more like 150 Elgin, with Grant House integrated into the modern office tower. The old house preserves it's foundation, basement, structure, cladding, windows and character.

I agree the building at Bank and Gilmore (Central Condo incorporating the Metropolitain Bible Church) was done horribly. Bare minimum of effort. They could have made the main entrance through that façade. Ogilvy's façade as part of the Rideau expansion is pretty good, but it bothers me that the floors don't align and still think they could have saved the buildings in its entirety. Caplan's replica looks great, maybe even better than the original honestly, based on pics I've seen (don't remember seeing the original in person myself).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #197  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 12:00 AM
Mille Sabords's Avatar
Mille Sabords Mille Sabords is offline
Elle est déjà vide!
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Big Bad Ottawa
Posts: 2,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I want to see more like 150 Elgin, with Grant House integrated into the modern office tower. The old house preserves it's foundation, basement, structure, cladding, windows and character.

I agree the building at Bank and Gilmore (Central Condo incorporating the Metropolitain Bible Church) was done horribly. Bare minimum of effort. They could have made the main entrance through that façade. Ogilvy's façade as part of the Rideau expansion is pretty good, but it bothers me that the floors don't align and still think they could have saved the buildings in its entirety. Caplan's replica looks great, maybe even better than the original honestly, based on pics I've seen (don't remember seeing the original in person myself).
I couldn't agree more.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #198  
Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 2:40 PM
eltodesukane eltodesukane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 712
Digging underway next to Claridge Plaza III & IV
This will be a 29 storey building with 568 rooming units with ground floor retail.

Photo 2019-03-27


Photo 2019-04-22


Photo 2019-04-29

Last edited by eltodesukane; Apr 29, 2019 at 7:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #199  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 11:50 AM
sleye sleye is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 29
They have been blasting on site for awhile. The crane went up last week.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #200  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 7:12 PM
Harley613's Avatar
Harley613 Harley613 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wakefield, QC
Posts: 2,575


I'm really curious if the final product will look anything like the last renders. Being Ottawa I doubt it, since there is zero accountability for developers that vary from the plan. I am mostly curious about the checkerboard paint job on the blank walls, I wonder if that could end up looking better or worse than a gray concrete wall, especially when the paint starts to peel.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:59 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.