HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa


    256 Rideau Street Tower [1] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 5:41 PM
Soi-Fon's Avatar
Soi-Fon Soi-Fon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 112
[Gatineau-Hull] Four Points by Sheraton | ?M | 30,25 & 17 Fl | Approved

The city of Gatineau has approved Sheraton's four points expension proposal consisting of three buildings of 17,25 and 30 floors in downtown Gatineau, in front of the Canadian museum of history.





http://www.lapresse.ca/le-droit/actu...ntre-ville.php
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 7:12 PM
OTSkyline OTSkyline is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,386
Seems to be about 9 stories there right now. That is a pretty significant expansion plan. Will it all be a Sheraton hotel? I feel like that would make it a huuuuge hotel once complete in terms of # of rooms in the capital region.

Also, this seems like it impacts the views. No comments or backlash from this whereas the other project proposed in front of the museum was torn to pieces?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 7:24 PM
11a2b3 11a2b3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 201
Will add some height to Gatineau's skyline.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 8:07 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Astineux
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada (see below*)
Posts: 46,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Seems to be about 9 stories there right now. That is a pretty significant expansion plan. Will it all be a Sheraton hotel? I feel like that would make it a huuuuge hotel once complete in terms of # of rooms in the capital region.

Also, this seems like it impacts the views. No comments or backlash from this whereas the other project proposed in front of the museum was torn to pieces?
The Brigil proposal was a lot closer to houses than this one is. There are basically no residential houses in the immediate vicinity of the Sheraton Four Points.
__________________
*An assembly of shareholders that likes to pretend it is a close-knit family, in order to maintain access to grandpa's inheritance.

Still a really nice group of people to spend Christmas dinner with, though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 9:30 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 11,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Seems to be about 9 stories there right now. That is a pretty significant expansion plan. Will it all be a Sheraton hotel? I feel like that would make it a huuuuge hotel once complete in terms of # of rooms in the capital region.

Also, this seems like it impacts the views. No comments or backlash from this whereas the other project proposed in front of the museum was torn to pieces?
It's on the cut-off of Hull's "CBD". Across from Papineau, it becomes a low-density residential neighborhood. Place des Peuples is also significantly taller.

Basically, the 30 story hotel is following the trend of the area west of Papineau while PdP would start a bad precedent of skyscrapers destroying a heritage area east of Papineau.


http://www.gatineau.ca/portail/defau...id=-1183372098
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 10:07 PM
passwordisnt123 passwordisnt123 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ottawa (Centretown)
Posts: 419
There's only one building on the whole block that's worth preserving from an architectural or historical perspective. The rest of the block is parking lots and a hotel building that can be torn down with no fanfare. Absolutely nothing of value will be lost by ripping the parking lots up and the island of Hull has a heck of a lot to gain by adding some density enough to reach a critical mass where they can finally get a grocery store and become a place where professionals would want to live.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 2:15 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Astineux
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada (see below*)
Posts: 46,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
It's on the cut-off of Hull's "CBD". Across from Papineau, it becomes a low-density residential neighborhood. Place des Peuples is also significantly taller.

Basically, the 30 story hotel is following the trend of the area west of Papineau while PdP would start a bad precedent of skyscrapers destroying a heritage area east of Papineau.


http://www.gatineau.ca/portail/defau...id=-1183372098
That aerial gives a great perspective on the whole area and where everything would fit in.
__________________
*An assembly of shareholders that likes to pretend it is a close-knit family, in order to maintain access to grandpa's inheritance.

Still a really nice group of people to spend Christmas dinner with, though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2016, 4:00 PM
black cat black cat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 17
Although its a bland looking project, the views from the upper floors to Ottawa will be very impressive and unlikely ever to be blocked by a high building in front, so one would imagine this will be very attractive for a condo owner. This is also more appropriate height wise than the Brigil proposal. However, for an adjacent resident, it may be of concern that the new development will leave huge shadowing and bland streetscapes to the sides and rear.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 2:46 PM
UrbOttawa UrbOttawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by black cat View Post
Although its a bland looking project, the views from the upper floors to Ottawa will be very impressive and unlikely ever to be blocked by a high building in front, so one would imagine this will be very attractive for a condo owner. This is also more appropriate height wise than the Brigil proposal. However, for an adjacent resident, it may be of concern that the new development will leave huge shadowing and bland streetscapes to the sides and rear.
It's interesting to see that place des peuples is actually hidden but the sheraton isn't when looking at the centre block from near the centennial flame.



photos by me
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Dec 25, 2016, 6:29 PM
gatt's Avatar
gatt gatt is offline
Gatinois et fier
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Gatineau,Québec
Posts: 3,393
go for it.
__________________
GATINEAU=280 000

GATINEAU-OTTAWA=1 300 000
gatinopolis.miniville.fr
gatinopolis.miniville.fr/ind
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 10:20 PM
roger1818 roger1818 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Stittsville, ON
Posts: 4,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobOttawa View Post
It's interesting to see that place des peuples is actually hidden but the sheraton isn't when looking at the centre block from near the centennial flame.



photos by me
The second photo isn't from the centennial flame, but a bit west. Having said that, it won't change the view that much.

If some trees can be grown to the west of the Parliament Buildings similar to the ones to the east, it should go a long way to hiding the Sheraton.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 4:20 PM
Denz Denz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 10
Anyone knows when construction is planned to begin?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 6:41 PM
OTownandDown OTownandDown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 545
I can't help but put all your above comments in 'air quotes' when you talk about 'heritage district' and 'heritage buildings' when I look at the satellite view I see lots of parking lots. I'm sure there's some nice houses down there, but when I dropped my pin on the adjacent 'residential' street corner, a bland 1990's replica of heritage was on one side, bordered by a square stucco tear-down, and then more parking lots.

I know people hate on Hull, me being one of them, the no-mans land needs to be changed somehow. Why not add density to resurrect the rest of the neighbourhood?

I'm also all for heritage districts. There's a beautiful one West of Laval. To me there's maybe two (or one and a half) blocks of 'homes' between Maisonneuve and Laurier, which happens to be the prime-est, closest real estate to Ottawa and the River. Large parking lots and warehouses aren't going to last much longer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 7:10 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Astineux
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada (see below*)
Posts: 46,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
I can't help but put all your above comments in 'air quotes' when you talk about 'heritage district' and 'heritage buildings' when I look at the satellite view I see lots of parking lots. I'm sure there's some nice houses down there, but when I dropped my pin on the adjacent 'residential' street corner, a bland 1990's replica of heritage was on one side, bordered by a square stucco tear-down, and then more parking lots.

I know people hate on Hull, me being one of them, the no-mans land needs to be changed somehow. Why not add density to resurrect the rest of the neighbourhood?

I'm also all for heritage districts. There's a beautiful one West of Laval. To me there's maybe two (or one and a half) blocks of 'homes' between Maisonneuve and Laurier, which happens to be the prime-est, closest real estate to Ottawa and the River. Large parking lots and warehouses aren't going to last much longer.
Not sure which beautiful heritage district west of Laval you're talking about.

Most of that area is rather unremarkable, except for a few nice houses on Leduc, like this one:

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4312...7i13312!8i6656

But they're very rare.

By far the nicest (the only?) grouping of noble heritage buildings in Vieux-Hull is the rectangle bounded by Papineau-Laurier-Allumetières-Maisonneuve, near the Museum of History and the Collège St-Joseph. This was ground zero for Brigil's Place des Peuples project, but is not directly affected by the plans on the Four Points by Sheraton site (even if it's close).
__________________
*An assembly of shareholders that likes to pretend it is a close-knit family, in order to maintain access to grandpa's inheritance.

Still a really nice group of people to spend Christmas dinner with, though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 7:23 PM
RideauRat RideauRat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 19
5$ and roll up the rim to win coffee it flops
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 2:40 AM
Harley613's Avatar
Harley613 Harley613 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wakefield, QC
Posts: 2,575
I wonder if this one is still on the go or if it's another dead-on-arrival downtown Gatineau project.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:50 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.