HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 1:58 AM

Great Architecture in Ottawa

I have been thinking for a while about creating a thread dedicated solely to celebrating and discussing good architecture and buildings in Ottawa. While we all know Ottawa does have some nice buildings, we too often forget or don't even know some of our best examples of nice-looking structures, and too often focus on all of the terrible buildings and designs we have.

So, I propose that this thread be dedicated to displaying and discussing current projects that we like, many of which members of this thread and the greater Ottawa area may not be aware of. These projects can be of any structure, new and old, such as: buildings, statues, bridges, street art, entryways, interiors, etc... Don't forget to tell the location and any additional information you may have/ find.

It would be ideal if they're already completed, but it would be fine to post pictures of nearly complete structures, provided that an updated image be posted at some point to show the finished project.

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Sep 8, 2013 at 2:12 AM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 2:26 PM

For me, this one on Rideau, next to Mavericks, went by unnoticed for years but it has some really nice detailing.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2013, 9:15 PM

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Aug 27, 2015 at 6:34 PM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2013, 9:28 PM

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Aug 27, 2015 at 6:35 PM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2013, 9:55 PM

Old Posted Sep 23, 2013, 9:56 PM

Old Posted Sep 23, 2013, 11:42 PM

I am not too thrilled with all these modernistic square boxes and the use of building materials dissimilar to the neighbouring houses. Why can't we see some designs that are harmonious with the neighbourhood? I see so much of this in my own neighbourhood and frankly, the result is a mess.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2013, 11:47 PM

Old Posted Sep 23, 2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I am not too thrilled with all these modernistic square boxes and the use of building materials dissimilar to the neighbouring houses. Why can't we see some designs that are harmonious with the neighbourhood? I see so much of this in my own neighbourhood and frankly, the result is a mess.
I have to agree somewhat. The infill I dislike most in Ottawa are those that make liberal use of corrugated sheet metal. I just find that it cheapens the house somewhat, and I don't think it really fits in with those older neighbourhoods - granted I suppose aluminum siding had the same effect, yet it's used everywhere now....

The house shown by Bartlebooth (a couple posts up), is along the lines of what I'm in to, personally. The brick fits well with the neighbouring houses, and I just like the aesthetic appeal of brick, especially the grey/black variety.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2013, 3:47 AM

Old Posted Nov 17, 2013, 4:10 AM

Great shots! I love the top two buildings, and I agree that the second one (doesn't have a specific name, but is owned by Toth Equity and was built in 1950) would look great as a podium to a high-rise building (that could hide the balk walls from Bell and Telus).

The curved PSAC building was ahead of it's time IMO. I was surprised to learn it was built in 1968!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2013, 4:55 AM

Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 10:23 PM

I use to live in 201 Cooper and people always seemed impressed when they would come by to visit for the first time. When people would ask for directions to my place, I would describe it as "the awesome old stone building across from the mayflower pub; you can't miss it."

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 1:06 AM

Has the Edward Drake Building been mentioned? It is one of my favourite buildings anywhere.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Has the Edward Drake Building been mentioned? It is one of my favourite buildings anywhere.

It was mentioned a while back. That is a great building, sort of like the PSAC building posted a few days ago. Another mid century gem (1961-1964).

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 2:18 AM

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Aug 27, 2015 at 6:36 PM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 2:19 AM

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Aug 27, 2015 at 6:36 PM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 4:40 PM
BANNED

I hear the 2013 RAIC Gold Medal Ceremony & Lecture will be held in Ottawa next week. The RAIC Gold Medal is the most prestegeous architectural prize in the country, and thus always very note worthy. It is "in recognition of a significant body of work deemed to be a major contribution to Canadian architecture, and having lasting influence on the theory and/or the practice of architecture, either – through demonstrated excellence in design; and/or, excellence in research or education."

I haven't heard too much information on it, other that the Canadian Architecture announcement of it being Awarded to the Aga Khan (199 Sussex Drive, among a number of superb buildings in Canada, let alone a major corpus of impact architecture globally).

If those in this group have more information, would love to hear about it!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
201 Cooper is apartments?! I'm shocked to learn that - it looks like some sort of civic/office building. Was it nice living in there and expensive?
My small one bedroom was about $950/month without utilities. If I remember correctly the square footage was around 400sq.ft. There is a two story piece off the back and I lived on the 2nd story of that. It was quite nice since I had windows on three sides, only had two direct neighbours (one below and one beside) and access to the rooftop (including the rooftop of the building on elgin) was just outside my door.

Being an old building it had its charms and quirks. Hardwood floors, kitchen was tiny. Bathroom was off the bedroom. Fireplace mantle with an old electric insert. Ironing board that came out of the wall. Coinop Laundry was in the basement of the next door building.

It was great when I was single, but when I got married there was no way two people could share that little space so I bought a house.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 5:12 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
I also like these buildings on Bank between Florence and Gladstone. I don't think we have any buildings similar to these left in Ottawa.

Bank Street by Shel DeF on Flickr
I vaguely remember a building that was in Chinatown that had fire escapes like those... I have a picture of it here..

Untitled by blix613, on Flickr

Too bad that entire block burned down not too long ago.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion