HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 12:15 AM

greetings!

Hey HP1'ers

Spoke to Charlesfort today and they said we are looking at closing end of April most likely, and not end of March.

Etoile

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 12:29 AM

Thanks for letting us know. What floor are you on, if you don't mind telling me?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2009, 5:37 PM

Does anyone have suggestions about good real-estate lawyers in Ottawa?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 11:51 PM

closing

Clarification:

The closing that is currently set up tentatively for some time in April will affect owners who are moved in and are in interim occupancy status.

As for real estate lawyers, I don't like them but I hope this time I have a better experience, I have hired Grant Poulsen now, you could check his web site or call his office. I think interviewing at least 3 prospects is a good idea then you can make your choice. I did not like the style of communication the lawyer Charlesfort recommended, that's my personal choice.

Good luck!

Etoile

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etoile View Post
Clarification:

The closing that is currently set up tentatively for some time in April will affect owners who are moved in and are in interim occupancy status.

As for real estate lawyers, I don't like them but I hope this time I have a better experience, I have hired Grant Poulsen now, you could check his web site or call his office. I think interviewing at least 3 prospects is a good idea then you can make your choice. I did not like the style of communication the lawyer Charlesfort recommended, that's my personal choice.

Good luck!

Etoile
I use the same lawyer every time I buy or sell condo. She gives me good price, great services, can't ask for better person or better lawyer (Or better Law firm)

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 6:54 PM

Hi Fun,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333fun555 View Post
I use the same lawyer every time I buy or sell condo. She gives me good price, great services, can't ask for better person or better lawyer (Or better Law firm)
Hey,
Good for you, is your lawyer located in Ottawa, maybe you would like to share this information with Chemist?

If not, no problem there are so many to chose from, and I usually ask a friend and collegue for names and then do my research.

Etoile

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 6:59 PM

Hey HP1

Did you see the great pictures on HP web site, really worth while to take a look.

Etoile

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Did you see the great pictures on HP web site, really worth while to take a look.

Etoile
What pictures?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2009, 3:09 PM

Old Posted Apr 4, 2009, 3:13 PM

Quote:
I see. You said HP website, so I thought you meant http://charlesfort.ca/hudson-park/ .

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 1:37 PM

GST Cut

Has anyone who closed on a condo they bought before the GST was cut benefitted from the cut? The federal budget said buyers would benefit but, I talked to a colleague who closed recently and she said they were told they would not get any benefit as their contracts stated the price (net of GST). For example their purchase prices was $299500 including the net GST and the price they are paying has been adjusted so that with the net GST (now aprox 2/3 of 5%) they still are paying $299500.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Has anyone who closed on a condo they bought before the GST was cut benefitted from the cut? The federal budget said buyers would benefit but, I talked to a colleague who closed recently and she said they were told they would not get any benefit as their contracts stated the price (net of GST). For example their purchase prices was $299500 including the net GST and the price they are paying has been adjusted so that with the net GST (now aprox 2/3 of 5%) they still are paying $299500.
Here is the info from CRA:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/gi/gi-043/gi-043-e.html

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
Yes I had read that before but the key factor seems to be the contract does not use the pre GST price but the NET GST. The example from the CRA site below if the contract is $342,672 Net GST the price would have been $330,000 but the builder is now charging $332,112 so the net price still equals $342,672. The $330,000 price never appeared in the original contract so the builder has essentially pocketed the 1% GST cut.

I was under the impression the builder could not do this so was wondering what others had found in order to give her advice. I assume she already asked her lawyer but I find many real estate lawyers are somewhat cluelesss on these kind of details.

Example 1

Mr. and Mrs. Green buy a new house from a builder for $342,672 (purchase price is $330,000, GST is $19,800 and the GST/HST new housing rebate is $7,128). The parties entered into the agreement of purchase and sale on August 30, 2007. Both ownership and possession transfer to Mr. and Mrs. Green on February 1, 2008. Since the house is purchased for use as their primary place of residence, the purchasers will be eligible to claim a GST/HST new housing rebate of $7,128 [Footnote 2] provided all of the other conditions for claiming the new housing rebate are met. The purchasers and builder agree to have the builder credit the amount of the GST/HST new housing rebate to the purchasers.

Since the agreement of purchase and sale was entered into after May 2, 2006, and before October 31, 2007, and both ownership and possession are transferred after June 30, 2006, GST on the purchase applies at the rate of 6%.

Since both ownership and possession are in fact transferred after December 31, 2007, the purchasers are entitled to claim a 2008 GST/HST transitional rebate. The amount of the transitional rebate will be adjusted to take into account the GST/HST new housing rebate of $7,128, which was credited by the builder. In this case, the transitional rebate is calculated using the following formula:

A × {0.01 – [(B ÷ A) ÷ 6]}

where

A = Purchase price paid for the house ($330,000)

B = Amount of the GST/HST new housing rebate ($7,128)

The 2008 GST/HST transitional rebate available to Mr. and Mrs. Green is equal to $2,112, as follows:

$330,000 × {0.01 – [($7,128 ÷ $330,000) ÷ 6]}

= $330,000 × {0.01 – [0.0216 ÷ 6]}

= $330,000 × {0.01 – 0.0036}

= $2,112

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Yes I had read that before but the key factor seems to be the contract does not use the pre GST price but the NET GST. The example from the CRA site below if the contract is $342,672 Net GST the price would have been $330,000 but the builder is now charging $332,112 so the net price still equals $342,672. The $330,000 price never appeared in the original contract so the builder has essentially pocketed the 1% GST cut.
I guess you were screwed. That's why I always have put in my contract the real number, plus the GST cost and before cost. Since my condo will be ready in December 2010, and there's supposed to be a PST increase in QC in 2011. I didn't want to take a chance either.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 4:39 PM

Quote:
I guess you were screwed. That's why I always have put in my contract the real number, plus the GST cost and before cost. Since my condo will be ready in December 2010, and there's supposed to be a PST increase in QC in 2011. I didn't want to take a chance either.
That is what I am thinking. I think I will be in the same situation myself when I close in a couple of months.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 2:17 PM

Hey HP1ers, anyone want to initiate a Board of Directors now that we're registered?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 10:28 PM

For new condo owners that didn't have the 20% down. Did your bank provide you with a loan or a credit line? And how much was the rate?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 5:47 PM

Quote:
For new condo owners that didn't have the 20% down. Did your bank provide you with a loan or a credit line? And how much was the rate?
I don't know what kind of rate you would pay probably in the 5% range. However, I would think carefully about borrowing money to make a 20% downpayment in this market. You might be better off saving the money and making an offer in 6-12 months. It doesn't seem like prices will go up much in the next 6-12 months.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2009, 1:12 PM

Quote:
I don't know what kind of rate you would pay probably in the 5% range. However, I would think carefully about borrowing money to make a 20% downpayment in this market. You might be better off saving the money and making an offer in 6-12 months. It doesn't seem like prices will go up much in the next 6-12 months.
For the $500 more in interest I would pay over a year, I'd rather pay for peace of mind.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
Does anyone have suggestions about good real-estate lawyers in Ottawa?
Anybody shop around and find a good price on no-frills condo insurance?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion