HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 2:08 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Sparks Street Market promises to come back

Tom Spears, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: June 9, 2014, Last Updated: June 9, 2014 5:14 PM EDT

If you ever wanted to sell veggies to downtown workers at lunchtime, now’s a good time to start.

The Sparks Street Market will keep operating, as the president of the area’s Business Improvement Area says he has all kinds of potential vendors asking him for space to sell fruits, vegetables and flowers.

But nine of the original 10 vendors are gone, and the BIA’s Sam Elsaadi acknowledged Monday he hasn’t heard from them since they left last week. The market operates Thursdays and Fridays.

“Some people decided not to come back,” but “five or six” potential new vendors have since called to ask about setting up their own stands, Elsaadi said.

He said there’s still plenty of time to get them operating through the summer. “We are asking around” and new vendors will start “as soon as possible. The market never shut down,” he said.

Asked whether some could start this week he replied, “I hope so.”

But the new vendors won’t be selling lunches. The BIA banned sales of ready-to-eat meals after nearby restaurants complained they were cutting into the lunch business.

The market will specialize instead in fruits, vegetable and flowers, with a focus on local farmers, Elsaadi said.

The one remaining stand from the original group is Art Is In Bakery. Owner Stephanie Mathieson confirmed Monday it will return this week.

One vendor that won’t return is the Hot Potato Company, which gave up last Friday.

It’s “impossible to continue” due to a series of obstacles, but mainly the ban on selling hot food, said owner Christina Leese.

“Obviously it’s a complete fiasco when we are the Hot Potato Company and the only food we were actually allowed to sell is frozen pasties.”

The frozen pasties are part of their line, “but obviously that isn’t what we were aiming to sell on the street there. We did our hot pasties, hot potatoes. Those were apparently now rejected (by the BIA). There was no option otter than to cease business there for us, so that’s what we did along with all the other vendors.”

She accused the BIA of trying “to make life as difficult as possible” for the vendors.

“It just isn’t worth it — all that negativity. We’ve moved on.”

Hot Potato will still operate outdoor markets in Westboro on Saturdays and Brewers Park on Sundays.

Jean-Guy Lapointe, a public service worker, will be sad to see the market return to a theme of farm produce.

“Flowers are nice, but when I go for a walk at lunchtime, I want something to eat,” he said as he took in the sunshine at noon on Monday.

Anne-Marie Prévost questioned whether a farmers’ market can survive in June selling local produce.

“They can sell local strawberries, but not much else,” she said. “They have to import what they sell at this time of year.”

tspears@ottawacitizen.com
twitter.com/TomSpears1

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...s-to-come-back

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 12:34 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

What stays in Vegas: Why Sparks Street won't get a zipline

Kelly Egan, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: July 30, 2014, Last Updated: July 31, 2014 4:28 PM EDT

I hate airports and dread flying, which makes me the house drip at vacation time.

But, miraculously, my wife and son managed to drag me to Las Vegas for a few days in July, only because they make a pill for everything.

The gambling part, I actually like. I’m just no good at it, which explains how $200 disappeared at a blackjack table in 45 minutes. My God, her dealing hands moved fast. But enough of my sad slideshow.

Downtown Vegas has something we want. It is not loads of booze, all-night everything, bare anything, and sidewalks of broken dreams.

No, Fremont Street in Las Vegas has a zipline, right over its pedestrian mall.

Oh, to be gliding on Slotzilla, 77 feet off the ground!

Some think this is exactly what the Sparks Street Mall needs, as was pitched in early 2013.

Slotzilla (its actual name) is shaped like a giant slot machine and, from a great height, has four parallel cables along which crazy people, right after happy hour, are zipped along for 850 feet, often screaming.

It looks like loads of fun. But, here’s the problem: A lot of things look like loads of fun in Las Vegas, where the hotels are pyramids, the malls have gondolas and everybody’s half-gassed at 11 a.m.

Vegas is a city where you lose your inhibitions. Ottawa is a city where you grow them, hiding them under layers of fleece and CSA-approved helmets.

We were watching the zipliners when a commotion erupted behind us. There was a guy dressed only in construction boots, a hard hat and one of those bathing suits that floss as you move. Nothing else. This was not Tunney’s Pasture.

Lots of people were having their photo taken with him, for a wee stipend. “One of the Village People?” was my best guess as to what the act was all about, as we had just been approached by Mr. T and a mute ancient Egyptian.

They call it the Fremont Street “Experience,” which is appropriate, as they sell walk-along beer in a plastic cup for $5, put dancing girls on the bar tops, and fill the place with kooks.

See, Vegas makes this work. It’s how they get their freak on. We have the Mike Duffy and Claude Giroux “Experience” and, sometimes, Ribfest. Not really the same. Ottawa, seriously, is a place where speed bumps for bicycles make the news.

Interestingly, they’ve covered about 1,500 feet of their pedestrian mall with a high-arch canopy of some kind, as high as 90 feet off the ground. It gives the pedestrian mall an indoor-outdoor feel, and provides shade against the 105-degree heat during the day while holding a massive LED screen, apparently the world’s largest.

It’s curved, like a second sky, and succeeds in creating a party atmosphere.

Would the whole thing work in Ottawa?

First of all, the zipline actually comes with a fair whack of infrastructure. There is a large base that needs elevators and various towers to hold the cables up. Would Public Works, the city of Ottawa and the National Capital Commission ever agree to such a thing?

Let’s think for a minute. OK, never.

Where would the millions come from? Let’s think for a minute. OK, nowhere.

In fact, here is an email from an official at Flightlinez, the company approached to have a peek at the mall project.

“We have shelved the zipline in Ottawa for now as our company has taken on a couple of offshore projects and we are busy delivering on those,” writes Alex Hessami.

See. Even the people who make ziplines have SHELVED our zipline!

Nor can we forget the climate. Ottawa has six months of goofy weather and, sometimes, Julys when people wear hoodies and stay inside and sulk. How would a zipline work in February, unless it was pitched as some kind of circumpolar Winterlude Ironman?

Vegas, and maybe this is the problem, is not a city, but an invention. Like any good one, it steals everything, like the Eiffel Tower, the Chrysler building or Caesar. It even has a giant ferris wheel, with enclosed cars, called the High Roller, which is just like London’s Eye.

Except you can have bar service and — it made the Vegas newspaper — people are hanky-pankying to amazing heights in the night sky. Bad tourists.

So many ideas, so little mall. But rest easy, city slumbering without zipline: There’s only 46 days until the opening of Parliament!

To contact Kelly Egan, please call 613-726-5896 or email kegan@ottawacitizen.com

Twitter.com/kellyegancolumn

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...-get-a-zipline

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 11:19 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Monty Python's Silly Walk comes to Ottawa's Sparks Street

Peter Simpson, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: August 14, 2014, Last Updated: August 14, 2014 3:52 PM EDT

Sparks Street is getting silly, very silly indeed, and the people behind the silliness want you to get silly, too.

Administrators have installed new pedestrian-crossing signs along the downtown walking mall that will be immediately recognizable to any fan of the British comedy troupe Monty Python. The signs, now up where the mall intersects Metcalfe and O’Connor streets, show the silhouette of a man walking in an absurdly exaggerated manner, just as John Cleese did in the classic Monty Python skit The Ministry of Silly Walks.

The signs are part of the Sparks Street Authority’s desire to bring some irreverent fun to the mall, and pedestrians are encouraged to be as silly as they can be.

“We’re encouraging people to have a silly walk,” says executive director Les Gagne. “We’re encouraging them to lighten their day and have some fun as they cross the street. . . We thought we’d bring a little more fun to Sparks Street, especially when it’s so sober sometimes because we’re so close to Parliament.”

The campaign won’t be officially announced for a couple of weeks yet — the authority is working with the city to “dress up the intersections with some nice, bright crosswalk lines,” Gagne says — but pedestrians can now post photos or videos of themselves demonstrating their silly walks onto the Sparks Street web page or Facebook page. The silliest walks will win prizes of “dinners for two, nights out, shopping sprees,” Gagne says. He didn’t say whether winners must use their silly walks while enjoying the prizes.

The Ministry of Silly Walks skit originally aired on the TV show Monty Python’s Flying Circus in 1970, and it remains one of the most-loved sketches from the program. In 2005 Britons voted it the 15th greatest comedy sketch of all time, and the skit is still routinely referenced in pop culture, by everyone from The Simpsons to James Bond to Larry the Cable Guy.

Gagne got the idea for Sparks Street after seeing similar signs erected at a crossing in the town of Ørje, Norway. A video on YouTube shows people in Ørje demonstrating silly walks, to the clear delight of passersby. “Must everything have a deeper meaning? It’s funny,” says one man, in subtitles. (The video is in Norwegian, which, if you’re intimately familiar with Monty Python, makes it even delightfully sillier.)

The Sparks Street web page is at sparksstreetmall.com, or search for “Sparks Street” on Facebook. If developing a silly walk, be sure to remember Cleese’s caution to one man who sought a Ministry of Silly Walks grant to develop his own silly walk: “It’s not particularly silly, is it?”

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...-out-of-ottawa

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 12:30 PM

CIBC is leaving their Sparks Street location. Kinda sucks. It was a pretty convenient location. But it's good to see Sparks Street coming into its own.

http://www.capitaldining.ca/2014/new...of-carmichael/

Quote:
Canadian Imperial Bank of Carmichael?

By Anne on August 26, 2014 in News

I wasn’t a fan of chef Matthew Carmichael’s decision to take on tacos after he left the job as executive chef at Restaurant 18, Social and Sidedoor. All fun and fine enough, but Carmichael is an enormously gifted chef, and his talents should have been used, it seemed to me, to really advance the gastronomy of this great city. To continue the work he had done putting us on the culinary map. I wanted another signature restaurant I could really sink my teeth into, something to crow about… not an underground taqueria with a wildly popular take away counter.

Having whinged about that, I’ll tell you I love his underground taqueria. Hate the no reservation thing, but love the food, the booze, the feel of El Camino on Elgin. And I admit it’s a marvellous addition to the pleasure of the Ottawa restaurant scene. But surely he was just biding his time, toying with tacos, until something else came along…

For a while there was chat of a new project on Somerset Street. In the Village, as I understand it. But I guess that fell through. And I found myself wondering if the demise of Domus and the troubles at ZenKitchen had spooked him a bit. Or at least his investors.

But hurrah hurrah… I’ve just heard from the horse’s mouth that he’ll take on the lease of the Canadian Imperial Bank of Canada, the flagship historic building on Sparks Street. He expects to fit it up in 10 months (“max”, he writes) and though the vibe will be ‘casual’, the food will be more “classic.” Wine will matter. And there will be reservations! Tables should be available for booking, if all goes according to plan (thinking of you, dear Fauna…) in early fall of 2015. Let’s hope we can bank on it…
With Les 3 Brasseurs, Bier Markt, this Carmichael restaurant, and whatever replaces Yesterday's, Sparks is becoming more of a food destination. The re hotel was also supposed to have a Pusateri's type of grocery store along Sparks. Not sure if that's still happening.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
CIBC is leaving their Sparks Street location. Kinda sucks. It was a pretty convenient location. But it's good to see Sparks Street coming into its own.

With Les 3 Brasseurs, Bier Markt, this Carmichael restaurant, and whatever replaces Yesterday's, Sparks is becoming more of a food destination. The re hotel was also supposed to have a Pusateri's type of grocery store along Sparks. Not sure if that's still happening.
Nate's Deli is replacing Yesterday's. Sparks Street's twitter account recently indicated that it would be opening soon.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 2:15 PM

That's great for Sparks St, but it still doesn't take away that it does need something MORE. It needs to be a destination; not just a food destination.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 3:05 PM
Busy Beaver

A store like Muji would be perfect for the old Zellers building, something unique to the city that would draw in locals from a large radius.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 7:20 PM

I've suggested this before and don't know how this could actually proceed but one thing that could be very cool/unique for Sparks St. would be a "Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum: Canadian Edition".. showcasing all prominant and important canadians...

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Has there been any talk of CIBC leaving prior to this announcement? Does anyone know if they are moving the branch elsewhere, or just closing up their shop?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:

Wow! That should be a nice addition to Sparks if true. I do agree though that Sparks is quickly becoming another "restaurant row".

I'm actually a bit surprised by the choice of location for a restaurant - that is, if I'm thinking of the right place:

[Source]

Should be interesting!

Regarding the Pusateri's-like grocery store in the Re (a Nicastros maybe?) , it's pretty much needed in the area. I think the closest grocery store will be the Sobey's in the Tribeca. I was actually wondering if Loblaws might take over the vacant space left by Holt's. Could be good for all of the local residents, and office workers (with ready-made foods, for example).

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan1 View Post
Has there been any talk of CIBC leaving prior to this announcement? Does anyone know if they are moving the branch elsewhere, or just closing up their shop?
There are two branches really close (Bank/Queen and Rideau/Sussex).

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan1 View Post
Is that the last of the Temples of Commerce in Ottawa?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
Wow! That should be a nice addition to Sparks if true. I do agree though that Sparks is quickly becoming another "restaurant row".

I'm actually a bit surprised by the choice of location for a restaurant - that is, if I'm thinking of the right place:

[Source]

Should be interesting!

Regarding the Pusateri's-like grocery store in the Re (a Nicastros maybe?) , it's pretty much needed in the area. I think the closest grocery store will be the Sobey's in the Tribeca. I was actually wondering if Loblaws might take over the vacant space left by Holt's. Could be good for all of the local residents, and office workers (with ready-made foods, for example).
My bad. It occurred to me that the old Ian Kimmerly Stamps location would be the likely spot. And sure enough, he's posted on his site the following image:

This makes more sense than the location I posted earlier...

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 4:38 PM

With increase Internet & mobile banking, the foot traffic at banks must have taken a hit. I'm not surprised to see one of these three CIBC locations shutting down.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 12:45 AM

There's a sign up at the old SmithBooks store saying that Shoppe Expedition is coming soon. Their website also says they're coming to Sparks. Right now they're located in the market. Not a very exciting addition to Sparks Street.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 2:10 PM

Quote:
There's a sign up at the old SmithBooks store saying that Shoppe Expedition is coming soon. Their website also says they're coming to Sparks. Right now they're located in the market. Not a very exciting addition to Sparks Street.
I would think this is a sign of cheap rent. No other reason for them to choose this location as an outdoor store. Not exactly something you run out at lunch kto buy.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 7:06 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
I would think this is a sign of cheap rent. No other reason for them to choose this location as an outdoor store. Not exactly something you run out at lunch kto buy.
I actually think this is a great location for the Expedition Shoppe, as they cater to the backpacker/traveller niche. It's a well visited area for tourists just steps away from Parliament Hill, and the store will probably do better here than their ByWard location tucked between a strip club and some restaurants. At any rate, there isn't this genre of store on Sparks, which will improve the retail diversity on the street.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 9:34 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Saks on Sparks (catchy, no?) would be perfection.

http://www.613style.com/saks-fifth-a...sparks-street/

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 10:50 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
I actually think this is a great location for the Expedition Shoppe, as they cater to the backpacker/traveller niche. It's a well visited area for tourists just steps away from Parliament Hill, and the store will probably do better here than their ByWard location tucked between a strip club and some restaurants. At any rate, there isn't this genre of store on Sparks, which will improve the retail diversity on the street.
You know what would go really well with this, and enliven Sparks street to boot? A hostel

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 11:28 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
You know what would go really well with this, and enliven Sparks street to boot? A hostel
A Sparks street hostel would be awesome, actually, and it would have an eerie connection with the hostel in the Nicholas Street jail: Thomas D'Arcy McGee was actually staying in a boarding house on Sparks (located on the site of his namesake building) when he was assassinated right in front of it. His accused murderer, Patrick J. Whelan, was hanged at the jail.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues