HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 21, 2005, 6:22 AM

too bad none of those are actually in San Antonio..a minor detail worth noting, try the 78239, 78217,78218,78247 zip codes those are between 410 and 1604 and all in the city proper

Old Posted Nov 21, 2005, 6:25 AM
BANNED

Schertz:

4 Bed, 3 Bath

$134,900

San Antonio (Far north east side):

4 Bed, 3 Bath
2,527 Sq. Ft.

$136,900

Live Oak:

4 Bed, 2 Bath
2,334 Sq. Ft.

$148,900

Schertz:

4 Bed, 3 Bath
2,419 Sq. Ft.

$155,000

Old Posted Nov 21, 2005, 6:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coddat
too bad none of those are actually in San Antonio..a minor detail worth noting, try the 78239, 78217,78218,78247 zip codes those are between 410 and 1604 and all in the city proper
True, Schert and Universal City are not San Antonio nor inbetween 410/1604, Live Oak however is between 410 and 1604.

Either way, they're all fairly the same price.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2005, 6:34 AM

You can get even cheaper though, below 100K, if you look just north of 410 around perrin-beitel, starlight terrace, nacogdoches, walzem.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2005, 6:35 AM
BANNED

San Antonio (Just to the east of the airport):

4 Bed, 2 Bath
1,320 Sq. Ft.

$95,000

San Antonio:

4 Bed, 2 Bath
1,822 Sq. Ft

$119,000

Old Posted Nov 21, 2005, 6:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
You can get even cheaper though, below 100K, if you look just north of 410 around perrin-beitel, starlight terrace, nacogdoches, walzem.
Very true. I wasn't using zip codes which is why I used cities in the far north east side as reference points when searching.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2005, 6:50 AM

Don't you just love that you get a nice tree or two along with not having a house that looks like your neighbors for less money than a cookie cutter house with a postage stamp lawn.....just a general comment, not directed at anyone

Old Posted Nov 21, 2005, 6:53 AM
BANNED

Quote:
San Antonio added more than 12,000 new jobs. By September 2005, we were looking at a 5.3 percent growth rate and some 18,400 new jobs from the same time last year.
Quote:
Last year, we broke records with 12,700 starts. But that doesn't even begin to paint the picture for 2005. According to a recent survey by Metrostudy, San Antonio had more housing starts than any other major Texas market in the third quarter with 4,034 housing starts. And these aren't houses that are staying empty. In fact, some say that while other areas need to be concerned about a housing bubble that's about to burst, San Antonio won't be on the receiving end of that pink slip.
Holy freakin' crap!

http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sa...21/focus5.html

Old Posted Nov 21, 2005, 6:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Don't you just love that you get a nice tree or two along with not having a house that looks like your neighbors for less money than a cookie cutter house with a postage stamp lawn.....just a general comment, not directed at anyone
I totally feel you on that, although no trees in the lard and a cookie cutter design isn't the devil.

I am.

:hilarious j/k

Old Posted Nov 21, 2005, 7:04 AM
Member since 2001

QUOTE from the SA Businesss Journal's website...
...The San Antonio metropolitan area experienced a 1.7 percent growth in local employment in October 2005, over October 2004...

http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sa...ml?jst=b_ln_hl

QUOTE from the SA Businesss Journal's website...
...Among some of those key indicators found in the new 2005 Third Quarter Economic Report is job growth. The report shows that the San Antonio area has netted some 12,700 news jobs between September 2004 and September 2005...

http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sa...21/story2.html

It's pretty excting news for the San Antonio Metro. Area! Now you all are feeling the growth that others have been experiencing (or have experenced in the past)!

It's S.A.'s turn!!!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2005, 9:17 PM
BANNED

United Airlines adds seven new nonstop flights from San Antonio

United Airlines will launch new nonstop service between San Antonio International Airport and seven new markets early next year, the company said Tuesday.

Chicago-based United Airlines (OTCBB: UALAQ) will offer the flights through United Express partner Trans States Airlines.

Starting Feb. 23, 2006, United Express and Trans States Airlines will offer twice daily flights between San Antonio and New Orleans.

On March 3, however, the airline will add new daily flights from San Antonio to Colorado Springs, Colo.; Kansas City, Mo.; and Omaha, Neb. United Express will add twice daily flights to Albuquerque, N.M.; Oklahoma City; and Tulsa, Okla.

"These new routes from San Antonio will complement our existing service and offer our customers convenient access and more flying options to cities all over the world, including our hubs in Chicago, Denver, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Washington, D.C.," Vice President of Operational Services for United Express Sean Donohue says.

United Airlines offers more than 3,400 flights a day to more than 200 domestic and international destinations.

http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sa...1/daily15.html

Old Posted Nov 27, 2005, 6:18 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

I thought this was kind of an interesting article

Preview: Classic urban spaces on Friday tour

Web Posted: 11/27/2005 12:00 AM CST
Mike Greenberg
Express-News Senior Critic

Downtown's revival may be going more slowly than its advocates would wish, but it's well past the pie-in-the-sky phase. It's real, it's extensive, and much of it meets a high standard of design.

The Downtown Alliance offers a glimpse of the recent activity in its second Urban Spaces Tour on Friday evening.

The inaugural tour last year focused on Houston Street. This year's tour zigzags through the south-central part of downtown to take in high-end condominiums, offices, a new hotel and an upscale bar.

The holy grail of traditional retailing, outside of Rivercenter mall and a few long-established institutions, remains elusive. But with hundreds more residential units in the pipeline, stores may follow in a few years.

The tour begins at La Cascada, the new high-rise condominium project on the River Walk a couple of blocks south of the Bexar County Courthouse.

The tour will visit two units, including a model apartment. The views from both will have the singular advantage of not including La Cascada: The less said about this building's architecture, the better.

A two-block walk to South St. Mary's Street leads to the Farmer's Building condominiums — formerly an eight-unit apartment building converted to two large condos with very nice arcade porches and upstairs terraces.

A few blocks to the north, on Navarro Street, is the Mexican Consulate, built in 1928 for a Federal Reserve Bank branch. Its simple but handsomely proportioned classicism, with giant-order Ionic columns flanking the entry arch, is temporarily (one hopes) costumed in Mexican tricolor tinsel.

The building is part of a distinguished grouping — with the nearby Tower Life Building and Granada Apartments — designed by Atlee B. Ayres and Robert M. Ayres.

Continuing a block north, the tour stops at the brand-new Hotel Contessa, at Navarro Street and the river. Designed by Three Architecture of Dallas, the hotel is most notable for incorporating part of the River Walk's original stone retaining wall — 4 feet thick at the base — into the design.

The contemporary three-story lobby and its adjacent Barcelona-themed restaurant — its metal gates are stylized from Antoni Gaudi's Casa Batllo — have fine views of the River Walk.

The Contessa's developer, Hixon Properties, shows off its offices around the corner in the adjoining Staacke and Stevens buildings, 1890s gems designed by J. Riely Gordon.

Their facades were beautifully restored in the early 1980s, but the interior renovation, for office lease space, was fairly basic. When Hixon decided to occupy the entire third floor, Beaty & Partners Architects did a first-class job of space planning and design — alluding to the buildings' historic character in a clean and contemporary vocabulary.

The tour ends at Medusa, a classy contemporary bar that opened this year on South Presa Street, where the Parchman Stremmel Gallery used to be. Art is still a staple in the space: Robert Tatum curates monthly exhibits, which open the third Thursday. The space is contemporary, understated and fairly dark, with lighting that emphasizes the art on the walls and the martinis on the bar.

For those of a mind to continue the tour beyond the official itinerary, several other high-end bars beckon a short stroll (or stagger) away. Zinc is right next-door.

Food and drink will be offered at three tour stops, including Medusa's "surprise" dessert presentation, the details of which have been kept secret even from the tour organizers. There also will be poetry readings, dancers, mariachis (at the Mexican consulate, of course) and graffiti art by Supher.

Only 250 slots are available for the Downtown Spaces Tour, and reservations are required by Monday. Tours will head out every 20 minutes between 4:30 and 8 p.m. Friday and last about 2 1/2 hours. The cost is $40 per person. Free parking is available at the CPS garage at 134 Navarro St. Call (210) 225-3862.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2005, 7:05 AM
James

I wouldn't mind going on one of those tours, but thats too much money for a high-school budget, haha.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2005, 12:47 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

I think in 5 years, it will be more worth paying that money to go on that tour. There will be a whole lot more highrise residential up in downtown.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2005, 10:09 AM
BANNED

Timber! U.S. 281 on road to tolls

Web Posted: 12/01/2005 12:00 AM CST

Patrick Driscoll
Express-News Staff Writer

The newest signs of construction on U.S. 281 aren't pretty, but they're the first visible proof that, yes, toll roads are coming to San Antonio.

Crews have begun scraping live oaks into piles along the highway and putting up fences to catch silt that rains soon will scour from the naked ground.

In January, workers will begin constructing frontage roads and later add four to eight express toll lanes from North Loop 1604 to Stone Oak Parkway. The new roadway will be 16 lanes at its widest points.

"It's a lot of pavement," said Frank Holzmann, a Texas Department of Transportation engineer.

The $83 million job, mostly funded with $77 million in gas taxes, is expected to take three years. TxDOT studies anticipate toll fees of 14 cents a mile.

While motorists welcome the extra lanes, they frown at the idea of paying tolls.

"It should have been done a long time ago," said John Hay, who drives on that stretch of U.S. 281 to get to work.

"But is that the toll road?" he added after a pause. "I think that's a bunch of crap. I don't think it needs to be a toll road."

Like many others, Hay will scout for the best alternate free road and figures he may have to add 8 miles to his 25-mile commute.

"But I won't have to deal with the tolls, I guess," he said.

Citing a shortfall of $8.4 billion over 25 years to build needed transportation projects in San Antonio, the Metropolitan Planning Organization has included more than 70 miles of toll roads in its long-range plans.

The agency also set aside more than $500 million in public money to subsidize toll projects.

Two private consortiums are competing to fully finance, build and operate the most lucrative toll lanes — a 47-mile system on Loop 1604 and U.S. 281 on the North Side.

The construction that starts next month is for the first 3 miles of U.S. 281 toll lanes, which will be the heart of the 47-mile network and a bargaining chip for the state in upcoming negotiations with the toll-road companies.

"It's a big step for the city of San Antonio and in improving mobility for the area," Holzmann said.

Some motorists are furious that existing U.S. 281 highway lanes will be replaced with frontage roads — even though the number of lanes will be the same — and say the toll lanes won't fix traffic problems.

Critics haven't given up on efforts to stop new lanes on U.S. 281 from being tolled.

"Have toll roads solved Houston's or Dallas' congestion and highway funding issues? No!" said Terri Hall of Texas Toll Party — San Antonio. "This toll mandate is an outrage, and our grass-roots movement is growing by the day."

Other hapless drivers still are learning the news.

"Toll lanes! My gracious," said John Perrott, stroking his chin. "Well, I don't know, I might go the back way."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/met....132ee21f.html

Old Posted Dec 1, 2005, 2:51 PM
James

I'm glad I don't live out there, never have, never will. So there would be no reason for me to go out there and pay. But I still think it was much needed, regardless of toll or not.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2005, 10:42 PM
BANNED

http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sa...ml?jst=b_ln_hl

City agrees to add 39 new hybrid vehicles to fleet

In order to reduce gas consumption and help improve air quality in San Antonio, City Council approved the purchase of 39 new 2006 Toyota Prius hybrids.

These new hybrid vehicles will be used to replace older administrative vehicles in the city's fleet -- cars that are more than 10 years old or have more than 96,000 miles.

City officials say hybrid gas and electric vehicles reduce air pollutants by 95 percent. These particles can cause respiratory health problems and smog.

Hybrid vehicles also burn an average of about 5 cents of gas per mile, compared to 8 cents a mile in conventional sedans. San Antonio already has 26 hybrid sedans.

"This purchase illustrates ...City Council's commitment to reducing ozone-forming pollutants in our region," City Councilman Chip Haass says.

"From now until October 2007, the Environmental Protection Agency is grading the San Antonio's region's air quality. Measures like this should assist us in avoiding federal sanctions," he adds.

"We will continue to lead the way and urge our governmental and private-sector partners to convert their fleets to hybrid vehicles," Haass says.

Buying hybrid vehicles is the latest in a series of initiatives the city has implemented over the past few years to improve the region's air quality.

The city has also purchased ultra-low sulfur diesel for its truck fleet, compressed natural gas for River Walk maintenance barges and equipment and cleaner-burning propane for 240 city vehicles.

Taken together, these efforts work to further diversify the city's fleet away from standard gasoline products, City Councilman Art Hall says.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2005, 10:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185
I'm glad I don't live out there, never have, never will. So there would be no reason for me to go out there and pay. But I still think it was much needed, regardless of toll or not.
I do live out that way. I won't mind having to pay 13 cents or whatever per mile, it beats sitting in stand still traffic during rush hour.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2005, 8:14 AM

We're only talking about a 3 mile stretch of road here. So less than $.50 to bypass all that nonsense? I'd pay it in a heartbeat.

I cant wait till they get started on the 1604 stretch. I'd drop $3 to go from 281 to I-10 in under ten minutes during rush hour. I am always in my truck between meetings all over town. If you can afford to sit in the traffic and dont want to pay the tolls, then your time probably isnt worth that much to begin with. I bill at $75 an hour, and when I am in the truck, I am not making money. If I spend a half hour in traffic, then I see it as missing out on $35.

Of course, I dont know how they will ever get the dumba$$es in this town to wrap their heads around the concept of tolls, cause people here are the cheapest people on the planet. I've noticed that no one is ever 'for' anything here. Free or not. Red McCombs could be passing out $100 bills in front of the Alamo and people would bitch about it.

Toll it all! I can afford it.
"We marched five leagues over a fine country with broad plains, the most beautiful in all of New Spain. We camped on the banks of an arroyo. This I called San Antonio de Padua, because we reached it on the day of his festival." - General Domingo Teran de los Rios, June 13, 1691, in a letter to the King of Spain on the occasion of the founding of San Antonio.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2005, 3:46 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXlifeguard
We're only talking about a 3 mile stretch of road here. So less than $.50 to bypass all that nonsense? I'd pay it in a heartbeat.

I cant wait till they get started on the 1604 stretch. I'd drop $3 to go from 281 to I-10 in under ten minutes during rush hour. I am always in my truck between meetings all over town. If you can afford to sit in the traffic and dont want to pay the tolls, then your time probably isnt worth that much to begin with. I bill at $75 an hour, and when I am in the truck, I am not making money. If I spend a half hour in traffic, then I see it as missing out on $35.

Of course, I dont know how they will ever get the dumba$$es in this town to wrap their heads around the concept of tolls, cause people here are the cheapest people on the planet. I've noticed that no one is ever 'for' anything here. Free or not. Red McCombs could be passing out $100 bills in front of the Alamo and people would bitch about it.

Toll it all! I can afford it.
haha, nice statement

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations