HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Sounds like Rural Ontario to me.
Ya a mix of "oot n aboot" Ontario accent with prairie Ukrainian??

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 6:18 PM

Pretty sure he was originally from Northern Ontario but grew up in Saskatchewan. Might be that he held onto his parents' accent during his formative years.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 6:45 PM

Babcocks accent is legendary. I'm not sure if it's strongly Canadian or something different altogether.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 8:42 PM

Bill Peters is a good example of Rural Alberta accent, they are close, but Bab's accent is stronger.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Most Winnipeg defense contracts are up this summer (Trouba, Myers, Beaulieu, Chiarot, Kiselevich, Morrow). Byfuglien is on 7.6M until 20/21, Morrissey and Kulikov are up next year. Either signing defensemen or getting younger prospects into the lineup is going to determine whether or not the team can compete in future years.

Laine and Connor are RFA this summer. Hayes and Tanev UFA.....oh, and Wheeler's salary bumps up from 5.6M this year to 8.25M next year.
Trouba is as good as gone I think. Chevy could use him as an own rental for next year, but it is extremely unlikely he will sign long term...wants to go to the USA. My guess is they trade him for a blue chip prospect and pick(s) or maybe a top-4 d-man with a year or 2 remaining on a current deal with a pick/prospect to make up the difference as Trouba is a top-pairing d-man.

How things develop over the off-season with Trouba will probably determine what happens with the defencemen. Myers may or may not be signed. I don't think he is a 2nd pairing d-man unless he has a great partner...not to great in his own zone. I think he only deserves around $3.5, maybe $ million AAV on a 3-year contract, but I suspect some team out there will offer 5 years at $5 million AAV.

Kiselevich was a rental who was never put in the lineup for reasons only known to Maurice.

Morrow is no more then a #7 or #8 d-man as far as I'm concerned so I hope he is not back.

Chariot and Beaulieu may be back. Chariot played on the second pair with Buff and he was OK and showed some improvement over the season. He is really only a #6 d-man though given his talent. I think a short term contract would be appropriate - 2 years at $2-2.5 AAV. He might end up receiving more though. Same thing for Beaulieu.

I'm looking forward to seeing Niku as a full-time player next year. Good skater and good passer who I see as a top-4 d-man soon. He has to work on his d-zone play which is why we didn't see him in the lineup much down the final stretch of the season. I guess Maurice likes inferior players who have no offensive upside and might be marginally better defensively in Chariot. Hopefully this is rectified for next year.

The other d-man I'm really excited about is Dylan Samberg who has played in NCAA the past few years. Commentators and scouts alike rave about his passing and defensive abilities...great gap control..calm and efficient with the puck. They seem convinced he will be a top-4 d-man in the NHL very soon. I hope he is playing with the Moose next year and if he is as good as I am hearing, it's likely he will be on the jets in 2020-21.

I doubt hayes is back. For some games Maurice decided it would be great if he only played 10 -12 minutes Why would he want to come back and put up with such poor allocation of icetime? He will probably receive somewhere in the neighbourhood of $6.5 million AAV. Hard to fit into the budget. Tanev might be back, but I think he is a little over-rated for what he is likely to receive. Something around $2 - $2.5 million AAV would be reasonable. Another team might offer $3 million with 3 or more years. 50/50 that he returns.

It's possible Laine might be bridged. $6-6.5 million would be my guess. Or he signs a long term deal either similar to Matthews (5 years but at an AAV of $8 - $8.5 million) or 8 years around a similar AAV.

I think Connor signs for approx. $6.5 - $7 million AAV long term.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 1:30 AM

Wow the Islanders went further than Tavares haha!!
Once again Toronto could not slay the dragon that is the Boston Bruins.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 1:32 AM

I guess Canada can come together and cheer on the Raptors now.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Haha no I need a Toronto break for a while.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 1:40 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Go Vegas Golden Knights!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 1:45 AM

Well the Leafs are happy to oblige the rest of the Canadian teams and cap off a pathetic first round.

Needs to be some serious discussion with Dubas and co. about what the near future holds for the team. The last couple years were freebies where a young team outperformed expectations. Those expectations have now moved beyond the first round yet we still see the same mistakes over and over. Get players that Babcock can win with or find someone who can get our group to elevate their defensive game.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Why?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 1:46 AM
ハルウララ

Please let's not talk about Canada's team nonsense for three pages. The whole idea is so silly.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Why?
Wouldn't you like to see a Canadian team win the NBA championship?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 2:07 AM

Welp, the Leafs managed to drag it out but this mess of a season is finally over.

Surprisingly, they actually played really well for most of this game. Two softies by Anderson and a couple of EN goals distort the score sheet, but I dare say that they actually controlled the play most of the game. Unfortunately, there was no finish from out much hyped offence and Babcocks insistence on putting out our 3rd and 4th line while playing from behind (in a game 7 no less) is mind boggling. Pretty much the same story we've seen play out since December.

Not sure what Dubas will do at this point. Signing Nylander was a mistake, and he probably has minimal trade value at this point with his bloated contract. I'm guessing we'll be stuck with him and left hoping that this was a one off. Kadri might have some trade value, I guess. The best decision might just be letting Babcock go, but he still has a gazillion years left on his contract and I'd imagine even MLSE might balk at the idea.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Go Vegas Golden Knights!
Yeah I hate Thornton too, hope he gets eliminated tonight. Want the Blues to take the cup this year now though.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 2:20 AM

Nylander will have a much better year next year, and Johnsson and Kapanen will take it to the next level.

Trade Kadri and Gardiner, dump Marleau and replace the 4th line with call-ups from the Marlies - they won't miss a beat.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 2:38 AM

Matthews had 5 goals in 3 games. Marleau barely got a shot on net this series. Until the last 5 minutes of the game Babcock gave them almost equal minutes. Inexcusable stubbornness to continue giving favourited players excess minutes and putting them in situations they don't excel at. Lou gave Marleau a full NTC so good luck moving him for next year.

If Quenneville had stayed on the market a few months longer I think we would/should have made a serious push. Not sure what the options are now.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Lou gave Marleau a full NTC so good luck moving him for next year.
If he doesn't want to be traded, then sit him every game - or if it's not prohibited by his contract, send him down to the Marlies. Either way, he shouldn't see the ice in a Leafs jersey next year.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 2:50 AM
Community Guy

For the first time since Potvin/Gilmour, I was cheering... thanks a lot Toronto.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 3:01 AM

Well that sucked. Time to move on and cheer for someone else. Columbus/Vegas/St Louis. I don't like SJ but if they win tonight I might cheer for them also, seeing as they've never won the cup before.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada