HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 10:30 PM

[Halifax] City Centre Atlantic | 25 m | 5 fl | Completed

This is the City Cente Atlantic residential addition mentioned in the Development Rumors thread. Some basic facts;

- HRM Case # is 01227
- On the middle part of City Centre Atlantic block (Birmingham-Dresdon-SGR-Artillery)
- Will top out at approximately 25m above street level
- Most of the siding will be aluminum (various styles)
- Viewplane - #9 (entire lot)
- Developer - Dexel Developments Limited
- District: 12 - Dawn Sloane
- Public Information Meeting: February 19, 2009 @ 7:00pm in Halifax Hall (City Hall)

Case 01227 Details
Elevations
Renderings
Floor Plans

See the first link for any other files.

Last edited by Dmajackson; Apr 17, 2009 at 8:24 PM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 11:01 PM
we built this city

Thats nice, and it won't take forever to be built either!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2009, 12:13 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Interesting design. I was expecting it just to be grey brick like the rest of the mall.

This will be good for Pete's and the other mall tenants. Not sure what it looks like inside now, but last time I was in there it was already doing much better than a few years prior.

It would be nice if they'd replace the CIBC building etc.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2009, 12:19 AM

WOW!!!!! Great job Napier!!!!! That's a really fantastic looking building! Very modern. Very interesting. Looks really high quality too. I find the 'running bond' style window placement really interesting. And I love the way they wrap the corners. And that totemic black element articulated from the face of the building and running down to the street entrance. Nice! Best of all... not a red brick, fake green roof or precast panel in sight!!!!! I'm extremely impressed.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2009, 2:12 AM

I'm impressed too. I clicked on "elevations" first and was frightened, the line drawings don't do it justice. The renderings are awesome. I love the corner windows.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2009, 3:47 AM

It looks quite nice. I like it. It kind of reminds of the Computer Science building at Dal. And I like the articulation on the Spring Garden side.
It would be nice if they could redevelop the Spring Garden lots there. HMV isn't too bad, but the other are not nice at all. Would be nice to get some small towers on the two corners. Something maybe just a storey or two taller then this.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2009, 12:20 PM

Just took another look at the elevation drawings. The tall black elements are perforated black aluminum. Looks like Napier stole a page from Brian MacKay's book there with the NSCAD cladding. But that's a good thing!! I wish more Halifax architects would 'steal' from Brian! The rest of the cladding is also aluminum (and glass of course). And there are 'sun shades' which I'm thinking might be redwood slats or something similar (reminiscent of the fencing behind the Dal Computer Science building).

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 3:35 AM
we built this city

A nice shot of how it will add density.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 11:10 PM

Wasn't somebody saying once how it's nearly impossible to take a photo of anywhere in Halifax without getting Fenwick in it, somehow

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
Wasn't somebody saying once how it's nearly impossible to take a photo of anywhere in Halifax without getting Fenwick in it, somehow
Hahaha nice one

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 8:16 PM

To no-ones surpise the meeting has been cancelled tonight. The new meeting is scheduled for next Thursday (26th), same time, same place.

Get this; there's been a development for Hammonds Plains in the work for awhile and the meeting was supposed to be tonight. This is the third time this meeting has been postponed due to bad weather.

Mother Nature vs. Developers ... so far Mother Nature is dominating.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 10:49 PM

Did anyone make it to the meeting yesterday?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2009, 5:04 AM

I was there. It was fairly low key. The vast majority of the public who attended were residents of Heritage Way. The condo building that is on top of the other half of City Centre Atlantic. They had the usual concerns; loss of light; increased traffic; rental units; construction noise. Nothing that sounded like it could persuade any councillors (except for Ms. Sloan of course) to not put this one through.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 2:18 AM
we built this city

Was this approved?

It will be visible in the skyline and thankfully cover up that blank wall of the ING building next door.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 2:25 AM

^It was just an information meeting "Worldly_Haligonian".

Man do I wish the Alexander would go up. That parking lot is butt ugly down there.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 11:25 PM

Here's two pictures of the site taken by me today;

Last edited by Dmajackson; Mar 20, 2009 at 12:54 AM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 12:34 PM

This project was approved last night, according to the herald:

Four projects approved
HRM council gives go-ahead to developments at Morris Street, City Centre Atlantic, Roy Building and Discovery Centre
By JEFFREY SIMPSON and DAVENE JEFFREY Staff Reporters
Wed. Apr 1 - 5:36 AM
Four downtown Halifax developments have been given approval while council continues to ponder the HRM by Design strategy.

Councillors agreed Tuesday evening with a staff recommendation to grandfather four projects that follow the rules of the city’s existing Municipal Planning Strategy.

Louis Lawen of Dexel Developments Ltd. spoke during the afternoon sitting of committee of the whole about wanting to proceed with two downtown projects — an $18-million addition to City Centre Atlantic over Pete’s Frootique on Dresden Row, and a $16-million, 10-storey commercial-residential structure on the site of the old Victoria Suites apartment building at Morris and Hollis streets.

Reducing the height of his buildings would make them less economically viable, he said.

"None of these projects are affecting any view planes," he said.

Council agreed that all four projects must be completed within three years after they are started.

"Our intention is to go full speed ahead," Louis Resnick, who is working on the Roy Building on Barrington Street, told committee of the whole.

Frank Medjuck defended his $30-million development of the Discovery Centre on Barrington Street, pointing out that council was letting the downtown stagnate while the Bayers Lake shopping area on the outskirts of the city is sprawling out of control.

Councillors also agreed that HRM by Design should include the site of the proposed new World Trade and Convention Centre, a couple of city blocks including the former Halifax Herald Ltd. property and the Midtown Tavern site.

The first reading of HRM by Design will take place during next Tuesday’s regular council meeting.

Council also agreed in principle that two heritage conservation districts — Barrington Street South and Historic Properties and Granville Mall — become part of HRM by Design.

Council has scheduled three days, May 5-7, for public hearings on HRM by Design.

( jsimpson@herald.ca)

( djeffrey@herald.ca)

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 12:51 AM

The project was not approved.

Council approved the grandfathering of the application.

It will still have to go through the existing development agreement process and adhere to the current MPS rather than be subjected to the potentially new rules and new process inherent in HRMbyDesign.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 2:41 AM
we built this city

yeah, but this one will likely have easy approval and construction. this is unlike the other contentious proposals such as hollis and morris.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 5:19 PM

I find the fact that even this building is not allowed under HBD to be quiet disturbing

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth