HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 3:27 PM

The Pin Tower in Phoenix

Do you think that The Pin observation tower that was proposed a few years ago will ever be built. I feel that it should be revived and actually constructed as it would provide Phoenix with a mass tourism observation deck to look out over the skyline and surrounding area and an iconic symbol for Phoenix in the same way the Space Needle is for Seattle. People should demand the City of Phoenix to encourage the developer of the tower to get the project built.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchGuy1 View Post
Do you think that The Pin observation tower that was proposed a few years ago will ever be built. I feel that it should be revived and actually constructed as it would provide Phoenix with a mass tourism observation deck to look out over the skyline and surrounding area and an iconic symbol for Phoenix in the same way the Space Needle is for Seattle. People should demand the City of Phoenix to encourage the developer of the tower to get the project built.
No I do not.

It was a speculative design, created by a more-or-less speculative developer (Novasoft or something). As far as I'm aware, they been out of business for many years.

The owner doesn't even live in Phoenix anymore.

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 7:29 PM

Someone posted a little while ago proposing the idea of a large Phoenix Bird version of an observation thing. I thought that was a great idea. But then again none of you guys are helping me win the Power Ball, so it's probably not going to happen.

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soled View Post
Someone posted a little while ago proposing the idea of a large Phoenix Bird version of an observation thing. I thought that was a great idea. But then again none of you guys are helping me win the Power Ball, so it's probably not going to happen.
Yes, a "rising Phoenix" with wings reaching upward would be super cool as a theme. If anything like this ever gets traction it should use such a theme. One can wish...

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 11:07 PM

It was something similar to this, only shaped more like a Phoenix rising:

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
It was something similar to this, only shaped more like a Phoenix rising:

Yes

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Is there a developer behind that proposal.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Years ago when the Pin was proposed, I did a random google search for observation towers and found that one. I'm not really a fan of the Pin proposal because it somewhat reminds me of a water tower in shape and didn't feel it would be something unique to Phoenix. The images I posted were designed by California-based XTEN architecture for the ThyssenKrupp Elevator Company, who asked architects around the globe to design an observation tower for Dubai’s Za’abeel Technology Park for their eleventh architecture competition. It doesn't appear any developer ever used this design or proposal.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Looks like the developer was Novawest.

http://www.skyscrapercenter.com/buil...on-tower/14894

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsfan87 View Post
Looks like the developer was Novawest.

http://www.skyscrapercenter.com/buil...on-tower/14894
I believe he was talking about the Phoenix Bird, not the Pin

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Yes
Hell yes - even light it up red/orange at night. Drop it right by the I-10 along central - make it over 500ft tall (if possible). We need something like this.

So - how do we win the Powerball so we can finance this?

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 9:54 PM

Why was this thread made, it was a stupid never-going-to-happen plan in the first place.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Why was this thread made, it was a stupid never-going-to-happen plan in the first place.
The Phoenix Bird might work and people should go to city hall to convince the city to encourage a developer to build such a tower.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Nor was it even a good idea for a project.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawd View Post
Nor was it even a good idea for a project.
same things were said about the space needle and the Eiffel tower. you never know

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownphxguy12 View Post
same things were said about the space needle and the Eiffel tower. you never know
I dont think anyone would be against the pin being built as part of a Worlds Fair or Olympic games but that isnt the case here.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 9:38 PM

Quote:
I dont think anyone would be against the pin being built as part of a Worlds Fair or Olympic games but that isnt the case here.
Same said about the CN Tower and the Stratosphere Tower, but they also became iconic landmarks.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 9:55 PM
Skyriser

The CN tower has a dual use as a communications tower. We don't have any need for that with our mountains.

With the height limits downtown and Phoenix still being very much a backwater I don't see the Pin or any similar tower getting built, and I do not see the Midtown folks buying into a taller project outside the limits of the downtown height zone.

Moreover, if there were more to observe downtown than a bunch of low density ghetto garbage on three sides I could see something happening but we are a generation from the neighborhoods surrounding downtown from turning around, especially the south side.

Finally, downtown would probably have to hold its own against the Scottsdale/PV golf resorts and be a destination in and of itself rather than a weird quirk that occasionally shows up in the New York Times travel section. The Stratosphere was a gamble on a rundown section of Vegas that is still a 2,400 room hotel project at the end of the day. There is nothing, at all, in Phoenix that would warrant that level of private investment today or likely in my lifetime.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 3:23 AM

The level of pessimism on this thread is astounding. I'm sitting here in my old stomping grounds of Austin and continue to be amazed at the construction here. No, not all of it is based upon immediate need. It's no wonder Phoenix isn't more of a destination when even the skyscraper fanboys have no confidence in what can be. I'm pretty fucking tired of hearing every excuse in the books as to why Phoenix can't have a legit downtown that impresses and I'm frankly tired of making excuses as to why we can't. We're pushing on 5 million people. Other metros half the size of Phoenix MSA sprawl, so why do they have 400+ buildings getting built? I've come to the conclusion that this city doesn't know how to take risks and the fanboys have become complacent with this.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
The level of pessimism on this thread is astounding. I'm sitting here in my old stomping grounds of Austin and continue to be amazed at the construction here. No, not all of it is based upon immediate need. It's no wonder Phoenix isn't more of a destination when even the skyscraper fanboys have no confidence in what can be. I'm pretty fucking tired of hearing every excuse in the books as to why Phoenix can't have a legit downtown that impresses and I'm frankly tired of making excuses as to why we can't. We're pushing on 5 million people. Other metros half the size of Phoenix MSA sprawl, so why do they have 400+ buildings getting built? I've come to the conclusion that this city doesn't know how to take risks and the fanboys have become complacent with this.
LOL this over the freaking PIN plan? The Pin was always dumb and never would have been built in any circumstance.

Furthermore our excitement on this website has absolutely 0 to do with things getting built..

IF anything now that we have real development to follow we dont need to waste our time on nonsense like the Pin

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest