HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 11:32 PM
Skyriser

How does a twin tower, offset floors project not diversify the skyline when a big box of a building that looks like the spawn of the Criminal Court Tower would?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
How does a twin tower, offset floors project not diversify the skyline when a big box of a building that looks like the spawn of the Criminal Court Tower would?
Oh it will diversify the skyline but I cant help that think this "style" of offset box shapes will be a very short lived trend.

It would be the kind of buildings you look at in 10-15 years and go "what were they thinking? those towers are hideous" The current massing proposal doesn't have any material detail but the massing and general look of the design is more "normal" which means it wont look out of date as quickly.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Oh it will diversify the skyline but I cant help that think this "style" of offset box shapes will be a very short lived trend.

It would be the kind of buildings you look at in 10-15 years and go "what were they thinking? those towers are hideous" The current massing proposal doesn't have any material detail but the massing and general look of the design is more "normal" which means it wont look out of date as quickly.
That's exactly what I think too. Offset buildings will be looked at 30 years from now like the way we look at 80s hair styles. I feel the more angular styled towers age better. For example the One and Two liberty Place towers in Philly. I know this is a residential building where having a square approach optimizes space, but I still can't help at thinking how ugly these buildings will look years from now.

Last edited by Renz; Nov 1, 2017 at 3:08 AM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Looks like 432 Park Ave in NYC. It's boring and generic and won't diversify the skyline. As the above poster mentioned, I perfer the current conceptual proposal.
I was just in NYC this weekend. When I saw 432 Park Ave. my initial reaction was “wait, wasn’t this just recently build?” It already looks dated. It’s a terrible design.

Here’s my pic from the top of the Rockefeller Center. That building looks fucking stupid.

Last edited by nickw252; Nov 1, 2017 at 3:19 AM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 3:33 AM
Skyriser

Architects have been tearing apart and hacking Modernism and now International styles with this offset box treatment for like a decade now.

If anything, it adds a bit of character to a rigid and authoritarian style that often becomes imposing like Boston City Hall or this monstrosity I walk by every so often.

I'm not sure if there's a style that would make the abject greed and atrocious scale of 432 Park appropriate. If anything, the facade softens it.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Architects have been tearing apart and hacking Modernism and now International styles with this offset box treatment for like a decade now.

I'm not sure if there's a style that would make the abject greed and atrocious scale of 432 Park appropriate. If anything, the facade softens it.

Some of the new NYC supertalls look really cool they have like a neogothic meets art deco vibe going on. Im into this style I hope it catches on.

Its like what the 1920's thought the future would be.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Its like what the 1920's thought the future would be.
But without the planes flying in between skyscrapers

Those renderings look gorgeous. I've always liked the Artdeco look and wish it would make a comeback especially in NYC.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 6:47 PM
High Voltage

Ok...I am going to put my 2 cents in. I like the offset concept just because it breaks to mold and thinks outside the box.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 9:07 PM

Behind a paywall.... but could this mean Barrister is breaking ground soon?

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...80m-condo.html

Old Posted Sep 23, 2018, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Behind a paywall.... but could this mean Barrister is breaking ground soon?

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...80m-condo.html
Quote:
Sunbelt Holdings Inc. and Crescent Bay Holdings are teaming to develop a 25-story condominium project in the former Jefferson Hotel, which was featured in Alfred Hitchock's movie "Psycho."
Quote:
While a general contractor has not been selected, architect for the project is Smith Group , Graham said.

The goal is to break ground before the end of 2019 and be open 18 months after that, Graham said.
Quote:
Jefferson Place units most likely will be a bit bigger than those at Portland on the Park, Graham said. It also will feature a few units priced at more than $ 1 million.
Quote:
Some condos will be inside the Jefferson Hotel building while others will be in a newly constructed tower
Hint: Try opening the page through Google Translate.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 5:15 PM

Update

I walked by the Barrister building this morning and there is a construction crew building scaffolding for a trash shoot. It looks like they are gutting the insides of the Barrister building. I’ll see if I can find a demo permit for the inside of the Barrister building. They also have construction fencing around the building with Wespac Construction Inc. signs.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 6:01 PM

There is a permit for Jefferson Hotel from Wespac construction.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
There is a permit for Jefferson Hotel from Wespac construction.
Good shout! Had given up on this one.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsfan87 View Post
I walked by the Barrister building this morning and there is a construction crew building scaffolding for a trash shoot. It looks like they are gutting the insides of the Barrister building. I’ll see if I can find a demo permit for the inside of the Barrister building. They also have construction fencing around the building with Wespac Construction Inc. signs.
Great update! I’m really looking forward to this project!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 1:29 AM

They now have one of those things in the parking lot that shows the finishes of the building. I don't know what it's called but it's basically a mock up of the facade.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 6:47 PM

Is the last permit pulled still from March of this year? So sloooooow

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 10:08 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Is the last permit pulled still from March of this year? So sloooooow
Last time I checked a week ago, the 2 permits they had were expired. I'm not expecting this to go anywhere soon.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chestnut1 View Post
Sunbelt Holdings Inc. and Crescent Bay Holdings are teaming to develop a 25-story condominium project in the former Jefferson Hotel, which was featured in Alfred Hitchock's movie "Psycho."

While a general contractor has not been selected, architect for the project is Smith Group , Graham said.

The goal is to break ground before the end of 2019 and be open 18 months after that, Graham said.

Jefferson Place units most likely will be a bit bigger than those at Portland on the Park, Graham said. It also will feature a few units priced at more than $ 1 million.

Some condos will be inside the Jefferson Hotel building while others will be in a newly constructed tower
Well, I guess it's safe to say this one didn't break ground by end of 2019. LOL What date, as per the RFP, were they required to build something by?

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 4:35 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Well, I guess it's safe to say this one didn't break ground by end of 2019. LOL What date, as per the RFP, were they required to build something by?
Strange that I was thinking about this today while walking to Block 23 Fry's. I'm calling this project busted by now. I fail to see what this lot is so hard to develop?

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 5:35 PM

The fact that these are condos and not apartments doesn't help. I want more condos, but the timing is much more difficult.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest