HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 12:50 AM

I recently saw a picture of mission bay on flickr. There was a big new yellow crane right next to the freeway. Is it for 1500 owens? If so , are there any renderings of it?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 6:08 PM

How is work progressing at 350/300 berry (mission walk) ? Are they starting to rise?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi123 View Post
I recently saw a picture of mission bay on flickr. There was a big new yellow crane right next to the freeway. Is it for 1500 owens? If so , are there any renderings of it?
Yes, that's 1500 Owens. They put up the first level of steel very quickly, then nothing for a week or so. They just restarted...not sure what the hold-up was.

Here are a couple of renderings, courtesy of J&C Consulting. They have renderings of a number of other Alexandria projects in the area if you want to poke around the Portfolio section of their site.

BTW, SMWM is coordinating all of Alexandria's work in Mission Bay. They have a small page with some overview schematics here...not much detail though.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 5:35 AM

On another note, I saw the latest site plan and renderings for UCSF's medical center at Mission Bay...they're coming along quite nicely in my opinion. Much improved over the early concepts.

I'll try to dig up some images to post in the near future...it's not opening until 2014, so we've got some time.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 9:38 PM

There are some really GREAT pictures on here! I love Mission Bay pictures i would love to move there one day!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 9:48 PM
Green Berniecrat

Also, from Socketsite.com:

Addional renderings regarding Seawall 337:

http://www.smwm.com/index.php?p=project&id=106

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 10:36 PM
North Beach

Today's Examiner featured another, amazingly crappy, entry:

Someone trying to reaniminate Zombie Corbu?

Mission Bay progress from my lunchtime venue:

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 11:24 PM

It looks something like the Golden Gateway, sorry.

From calisphere - University of California
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...NW:en%26sa%3DN
Model of proposed Golden Gateway CA, 1964

The towers were eliminated north of Jackson St to preserve views. Also note the proposed Alcoa Building and Embarcadero Center to the right. The Embarcadero Center part of the model reminds me of the early (before 2005) Transbay area concept renderings and models. It is very different from what was eventually designed and built.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 11:31 PM
BANNED

Here's the proposal in the Ex direct from their website ( http://www.examiner.com/a-1240299~Gi...ake_swing.html ):

It reminds me of parts of Vancouver around 1990 except that, unless my mind decieves me, all that grass and greenery appears to be on the roof of a huge parking lot (which figures given what the Giants want).

Anyway, here's the article (same source):

Quote:
Giants, others ready to take swing

San Francisco Port officials on Tuesday will hear proposals for a 16-acre lot currently used by the San Francisco Giants.
John Upton, The Examiner
2008-02-25 11:00:00.0
Current rank: # 84 of 7,733

SAN FRANCISCO -
Pitches by four teams eager to develop a 16-acre lot currently used by the Giants for parking will be publicly presented before San Francisco Port officials on Tuesday.

The Port wants to develop the lot south of AT&T Park, called Seawall Lot 337, to generate revenue for the agency, which is required by city law to be self-supporting. The land is the largest vacant parcel in San Francisco’s burgeoning Mission Bay neighborhood, according to Port officials.

An eight-member advisory panel, which includes senior city employees, local businesspeople, architects and planners, will evaluate the proposals, Port Deputy Director Diane Oshima said, adding that the final decision will be based upon formal selection criteria.

Of the four, the most high-profile proposal was drafted by a group led by the Giants, which uses the lot for game-day parking under a lease that will expire in late 2009.

While the baseball franchise recently took its proposal to the media to generate support for its mixed-use development plan that includes a waterfront park, three other developer-architect teams also submitted proposals by the Port’s Feb. 14 deadline.

One of the plans earmarks three-quarters of the land as public open space, according to Federal Development spokesman Brett Gladstone. The proposal also includes four “slender towers” of between 16 and 24 floors that closely mimic building heights in nearby Mission Bay.

The third proposal promises to establish an arts district and provide affordable studio space for artists, Kenwood Investments spokesman Darius Anderson said. He said the plan includes multiple buildings, including two tall office towers and a tall residential building.

The fourth proposal, which was crafted by a local collaberation of architects, designers and planners, aims to be “provocative,” Build Inc. spokesman Loring Sagan said.

The plan features condominiums and apartment buildings, a wholesale flower market, a “quirky” tent structure, and an office building custom-made for companies that specialize in clean, green and sustainable technology, according to Sagan.

The criteria list, drafted by the Port, stressed the importance of public open space and the expansion of China Basin Park. The list calls for a pedestrian- and transit-friendly design with plenty of parking spots, and it requires new buildings to complement nearby towers.

After the proposals are presented on Tuesday, they’ll be discussed by the advisory panel during a daylong workshop on March 1, according to Oshima.

jupton@examiner.com

Seawall Lot 337 proposals

Team: Build Inc., Cherokee Investment Partners, UrbanGreen Devco

Feature: An incubator building for companies that specialize in clean and green technologies

Team: Kenwood Investments, Boston Properties, Wilson Meany Sullivan

Feature: An arts district similar to the Torpedo Factory Art Center in Virginia

Team: Federal Development, Lehman Brothers, Construction Management and Development

Feature: Three-quarters of the land would be dedicated to public open space

Team: San Francisco Giants, The Cordish Co., Farallon Capital Management

Feature: 2,000 parking spaces built specially for ballpark visitors

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 11:32 PM

Here's a tiny rendering from http://www.examiner.com/a-1240299~Gi...ake_swing.html

damn, beat me to it by half a minute, BT...

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 11:32 PM
North Beach

Reminds me of Charles River Park. No thanks.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 11:45 PM

Yeah, pretty boring, though much better than the parking lot there now. i wonder when we'll get the last rendering. I see 4 teams, and we've had 3 renderings so far.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 12:08 AM

I know nobody has talked about this for a while, but does anyone else think that Arterra is progressing at a snail's pace? It seems that they've topped off and have made virtually no progress (not removing the blue cover) for at least 6 months now.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 12:40 AM

Just walked the length of Berry for the first time...must say I was rather disappointed in the street-level experience. I thought maybe since there's not really anything on King along west of Fourth, Berry might be a bit more activated, but it's awful. All steel bars and garage doors...it's basically just an alley. I did like the courts under the freeway, even if they're fenced off...nice use of the space.

Yes, Arterra does seem to be taking a long time...doesn't look anywhere near finished.

They were just finishing up assembling the second tower crane for Avalon III when I was there.

Foundation work is underway on 330 and 335 Berry. 335 looks to be a bit further along. Lots of rebar in the ground and lots of PVC piping sticking up all over the place.

As for Mission Bay South:

I mentioned awhile ago that there was some grading work going on at the northeast corner of 16th and 3rd. It was some drainage work, and they've finished installing lights for a surface parking lot. Not quite ready to be paved over yet, but it's obviously parking. Was hoping for something more exciting there, but apparently not yet. It makes sense though...Old Navy is cramped on parking, and with 500 Terry Francois probably opening relatively shortly, there's going to be more demand. 409 Illinois should also be opening later this year...it has a lot of parking underneath it, but that may not be enough to completely meet demand.

You can see 409 Illinois in the background of some of Downtown Dave's Radiance pics. I'm not liking it too much right now. The stone façade is fine, and I don't mind the grey metal and window portions on the first floor (and up a bit higher on the eastern side). But the windows being inserted into the stone portion of the façade, while resembling the lower ones in most respects, have a yellowish cast to them instead of grey. It's kind of tough to see in his pics, but me no likey.

Saw some trees up on top of Radiance today. Downtown Dave's pics show preparation for some cladding on it, but much of the exterior is painted concrete divided by color into several different sections. That's coming along, so that project is definitely making good progress. It'll look a lot better once they remove the blue protective film from all of the windows.

UCSF's cancer building is still moving along...they've got a lot of the travertine installed along the south and west faces, and windows are going in on the south face.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 1:13 AM
Pacific Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFView View Post

Oh man, look at that. What a ride, cars almost flying in the sky with freeway access all the way into the center to the financial district. The double deck freeway extends along the waterfront all the way around the city to the Golden Gate Bridge. What a dream, just a smooth elevated car ride in from Hayward or Concord. San Francisco is truly the city of the future* Take that Los Angeles.

/sarcasm

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 3:22 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
Oh man, look at that. What a ride, cars almost flying in the sky with freeway access all the way into the center to the financial district. The double deck freeway extends along the waterfront all the way around the city to the Golden Gate Bridge. What a dream, just a smooth elevated car ride in from Hayward or Concord. San Francisco is truly the city of the future* Take that Los Angeles.

/sarcasm
Dear God, you scared the living shit out of me!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 11:21 PM
BANNED

I don't know if this has been posted before but it helps me stay oriented:

And here are some more renders:

1450 Owens

Parcel 26

Everything is from http://www.socketsite.com/

Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 4:49 PM
Sonoma Strong

re seawall lot 337

i like:

Build Inc.;Cherokee Investment Partners;UrbanGreen Devco, LLC

and

Kenwood Investments, LLC; Boston Properties Inc.; Wilson Meany Sullivan, LLC

at least so far

(u can see all plans at http://www.sfgov.org/site/port_page.asp?id=56101)

ps. thanx bt for that map - really helps me since im not in the city

Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 6:05 PM
BANNED

^^^The four:

The fourth:

All images courtesy http://www.socketsite.com/

I'll go out of a limb and predict that, since it's the ugliest and least imaginative, #4 is what will get picked by any right-thinking San Francisco commission or board of "deciders".

Sorry you like it, northbay420 but come on--those interior courtyards remind me of public housing or Lower East Side tenements.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 6:56 PM
Sonoma Strong

double post

Last edited by northbay; Feb 27, 2008 at 7:10 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development