HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
By and large, I'm a big fan of this place and it's much less honky-tonk/tacky than I was expecting it to be. Is it just me or is Miami underrated for its overall urban experience?
You expected Miami to be honky-tonk??????? To touch on some of the other things:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Again, Miami isn't a "brown" city, it's a white city.
Weird hill to die on. While many Hispanics may consider themselves white, they certainly wouldn't be considered white in Alabama or middle Ohio. Yes, there are white Cubans, and white South Americans, but with increased presence of central and South American's they are becoming a minority.

Another thing that I think makes Miami different is the level of immigrant power here. This is not like San Diego or Chicago or even LA. Every level of government, of culture, of society is from somewhere else. There is no Waspy old guard here. From the rich condos on Key Biscayne, to the cock fights in the boondocks. It's a fully immigrant town. Yeah, the lawn guy is probably browner than the guy who owns the mansion he's working at, but they're both from a similar place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyfox View Post
Trust me, having lived for 2 decades in South Florida, Miami is overrated for its urbanity.

I suppose if your metric is rush hour LA, then Miami has the appearance of urbanity especially to a tourist. Try to get a job or go to school in the city without a millionaire income to afford Miami Beach, and the metro will disabuse you of any walkable notions.
Agree with a lot of this. I've lived here for 20 years now. It's blown up with skyscrapers, added an extension to Metrorail, turned run down neighborhoods into toursist destinatinos, but with each passing year I become a little more disillusioned that we'll ever take up a truly urban mindset. The will just isn't here. I still love it more days than not, but we're just not destined to be that.

Last edited by brickell; Jan 4, 2021 at 10:50 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions