HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 1:12 AM

I guess I always assumed Macy’s was HQ’d in NYC...

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Macy's just announced that they are moving the HQ from Cincinnati to NYC:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinna...ill-close.html
God this is such an asshole move.

It looks like they're going the way of Sears anyway. Screw em they're not the future.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 1:23 AM

^ I was in a Macy’s in Pittsburgh about a week ago for the first time in awhile... what a terrible selection of men’s clothing and shoes. Maybe it was just that particular location, but it was really kinda depressing. And there seemed to be barely anyone working in the men’s dept. Based on that experience, I wouldn’t be surprised if they are going the way of Sears, as you say.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ bad news for Cincy, but i suspect this is a smart move by Macy's.

If anything can save the brand, plugging the HQ back into the leading style/fashion center of the nation is probably high on the list.

No diss to Cincy there, but NYC is freaking NYC.
It will make zero difference. Macy's isn't struggling because of style it's because they can't keep up with ecommerce and mall retail is imploding. This is probably mostly just a layoff of their Cincy workers.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 1:35 AM

Obviously the information is out there, but I wonder how many rustbelt city-origin department store brands Macy’s took over.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 1:47 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
I wonder how many rustbelt city-origin department store brands Macy’s took over.
All of them.

Fuckers.

It's not that I'm bitter, it's just that I am.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Feb 5, 2020 at 2:14 AM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 2:07 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Obviously the information is out there, but I wonder how many rustbelt city-origin department store brands Macy’s took over.
famous-barr in st. louis, 2005. it was obvious even to a 20
something hipster at the time that macy’s was a blander, more watered down direction. i’m sure at one time macy’s was a fine brand. one of the first things they did was gut the downtown store which i actually shopped at.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 2:15 AM
E pluribus unum

I don't remember who bought who but it happened after I left Cincinnati. Cincinnati had McAlpins and Lazarus (which, iirc, was Columbus-based) but both were bought by Macy's and Dillard's

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
famous-barr in st. louis, 2005. it was obvious even to a 20
something hipster at the time that macy’s was a blander, more watered down direction. i’m sure at one time macy’s was a fine brand. one of the first things they did was gut the downtown store which i actually shopped at.
They did the same to Kauffman’s, based in Pittsburgh and throughout Western PA. Edgar Kauffman (pedophile) of Fallingwater Frank Lloyd Wright fame. All of a sudden the stores featured generic-looking clothing brands, and Polo, Hilfiger, and Nautica became their “premium” lines

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
canada falls in there too. like hamilton rust belt and toronto an eastern midwest city and maybe like winnipeg a western one. after that, calgary and edmonton are western cities and ottawa, montreal eastern. then on to the coastal cities.

of course its all kind of generalized, but one thing is for certain and that is the rust belt region is well over and its long overdue for that label to go away. someone said use 'legacy cities' over the rust belt moniker and i like that better, its more positive and fitting.
Toronto isn't an eastern midwest city because Canada doesn't have a midwest. The Midwest is a heavily populated agricultural and industrial heartland region between the eastern and western power bases of the country and forms a gradual transition between east and west. Basically all of that is completely foreign to Canada. This forum likes to apply US terms to Canada but a lot of those concepts don't apply across the border.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 5:36 AM

Sure, whatever... but Toronto is more like a big version of Buffalo than it is like a small version of New York.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 5:40 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Sure, whatever... but Toronto is more like a big version of Buffalo than it is like a small version of New York.
Absurd in any case, but definitely not in terms of its role and image within Canada. Toronto's "bigger" in Canada than New York is in the States.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 6:36 AM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
Disagree. Take a streetview tour around the innercity neighbourhoods of Toronto and Buffalo, they look nothing alike. Toronto is mainly brick with lots of attached housing, Buffalo is mainly woodframe and all detached housing. Toronto is a lot more dense and packed in with narrower streets. Toronto also has lots of long, intact commercial strips which are actually very similar in appearance and in the mix of businesses to the commercial strips throughout the outer boroughs of NYC. Toronto also has an enormous amount of apartment buildings much like NYC.

Outside of appearance, Toronto is obviously the biggest city with the biggest skyline and main immigration, financial, and media centre of an entire country... much like NYC, only smaller.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 10:37 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Well it’s true that Ontario holds nearly all of the manufacturing jobs in (English) Canada

The rust belt is not quite as dominate in manufacturing vs Texas, the south, and the west coast

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 12:22 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Manufacturing value add by state, 2016

California 255,636
Illinois 111,573
Indiana 102,353
Michigan 103,771
New York 79,496
North Carolina 109,824
Ohio 129,554
Pennsylvania 105,636
Texas 216,626
Wisconsin 78,972

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
God this is such an asshole move.

It looks like they're going the way of Sears anyway. Screw em they're not the future.
No, your favorite brand, Amazon is.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Nearly choked on my coffee! May as well say Pittsburgh is just a smaller LA, or Larger Youngstown .See how stupid, ignorant, and off the mark that sounds?
Just go visit, and educate yourself..Visit both on the same weekend.As much as Toronto isn't a smaller New York, it isn't a larger Buffalo either..It's it's own thing. And no disrespect to Buffalo..I know Buffalo people would agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Absurd in any case, but definitely not in terms of its role and image within Canada. Toronto's "bigger" in Canada than New York is in the States.
Pretty much..It wears the LA hat, NY hat, and even the Nashville hat within Canada.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 3:46 PM

Quote:
It was the opposite. Federated (Cincinnati) bought Macy's (New York) then rebranded the entire company as Macy's. Then they went on to buy up many of the local department store brands in the country.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 3:46 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Nearly choked on my coffee! May as well say Pittsburgh is just a smaller LA, or Larger Youngstown .See how stupid, ignorant, and off the mark that sounds?
Just go visit, and educate yourself..Visit both on the same weekend.As much as Toronto isn't a smaller New York, it isn't a larger Buffalo either..It's it's own thing. And no disrespect to Buffalo..I know Buffalo people would agree.

Pretty much..It wears the LA hat, NY hat, and even the Nashville hat within Canada.
the Nashville hat huh? I'm thinkin' bout some kind of country music bar in Quebec. The only distinctly Canadian "country" sound i've come across since say the 70s or something.

As far as the music scene overall i always sort of thought to split the lions share pretty equally between Toronto and Montreal but perhaps that has changed.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 3:51 PM

Drake is not a music scene, lol.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions