HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 8:27 AM

I am curious, do you think Columbus is progressing to becoming a more vibrant, livable, dense city than Cincinatti and Cleveland? My theory is it seems to go Columbus, Cincinatti, Cleveland in that ranking? But to be honest I was in Ohio once ten years ago, so my judgement is purely streetview and forums.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 5:14 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjreisen View Post
I am curious, do you think Columbus is progressing to becoming a more vibrant, livable, dense city than Cincinatti and Cleveland? My theory is it seems to go Columbus, Cincinatti, Cleveland in that ranking? But to be honest I was in Ohio once ten years ago, so my judgement is purely streetview and forums.
My perception is that they are all pretty vibrant, and getting better. I am also an "outsider" though - I have been to each city exactly once in recent memory. My guess is that Columbus would outrank Cincinnati and Cleveland in density and in most other data-based comparisons, due to its sheer size. It's more than double the population of each of the other two. Speaking of size, I know Columbus is big, but for some reason I thought Detroit was still bigger (in terms of population). But Columbus has + 200K residents on Detroit now. It flipped somewhere between 2000 and 2010, when Detroit dropped to ~714K and Columbus rose to ~787K. Columbus is currently 14th most-populous in the country, whereas Detroit is 24th. Of course, if you're talking metro areas, Detroit is still much larger.

Quote:
Ohio lawmakers give OK to $2.5 billion capital budget for construction, renovation projects
Andrew J. Tobias | cleveland.com
December 18, 2020

COLUMBUS, Ohio--State lawmakers on Friday sent Gov. Mike DeWine a $2.5 billion capital budget to fund construction projects, renovations, and equipment purchases around the state for the next two years.

Senate Bill 310, which cleared a final Senate vote on Friday, includes $452 million for colleges and universities, $305 million for K-12 school buildings, and about $281 million for prisons.

About $280 million would go to the Public Works Commission, part of which would be distributed via grants and loans to local governments for infrastructure projects such as roads, bridges, and wastewater treatment systems...

Last edited by deja vu; Dec 20, 2020 at 9:57 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 5:44 PM

From July.

Harmony Tower:

It would go here:

Original image from here.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aderwent View Post
From July.

Harmony Tower:
Does this proposal appear to be actually happening? I sure hope so. Columbus could definitely use some more height in its downtown. There seems to actually be a fair amount of new development downtown, but it's all somewhat weirdly lowrise. For a city growing like Columbus is, I'd love to see some more skyscraper construction. Come on Midwest Austin! lol

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 7:45 PM
Ex Houstonian

That tower looks freaking fantastic, hope it comes to fruition.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Does this proposal appear to be actually happening? I sure hope so. Columbus could definitely use some more height in its downtown. There seems to actually be a fair amount of new development downtown, but it's all somewhat weirdly lowrise. For a city growing like Columbus is, I'd love to see some more skyscraper construction. Come on Midwest Austin! lol
Columbus still has a lot of open land from urban renewal. Also, suburban growth is still strong because commute times remain low. Columbus's highways are laid out extremely well and traffic remains a non-issue because of it. The suburbs also have robust jobs markets. There isn't a single one that is a bedroom community. All these things make land cheap. Therefore, it's not economical to go tall.

However, the governor just signed a bill where developers and insurance companies can receive up to $40 million in tax credits for "transformative" mixed-use projects. They must be at least 15 floors to receive the credits. I believe a couple developments were waiting for that bill to be passed to move forward; though they didn't say that publicly.

Harmony Tower and Millennial Tower could probably use the help. I'm sure Market Tower will take it, although that was happening anyway. The Hilton expansion is already on the third floor above High. You also have a potential tower at the former Dispatch property across from the Capitol. With Ohio State's massive new hospital tower under construction already you could have six towers of 100m+ under construction at one time.

You then have the second phase of The Peninsula that should garner some height, and Nationwide's parcel on Spring near the new Crew Stadium that is ripe for a tower, too.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Columbus still has a lot of open land from urban renewal. Also, suburban growth is still strong because commute times remain low. Columbus's highways are laid out extremely well and traffic remains a non-issue because of it. The suburbs also have robust jobs markets. There isn't a single one that is a bedroom community. All these things make land cheap. Therefore, it's not economical to go tall.

However, the governor just signed a bill where developers and insurance companies can receive up to $40 million in tax credits for "transformative" mixed-use projects. They must be at least 15 floors to receive the credits. I believe a couple developments were waiting for that bill to be passed to move forward; though they didn't say that publicly.

Harmony Tower and Millennial Tower could probably use the help. I'm sure Market Tower will take it, although that was happening anyway. The Hilton expansion is already on the third floor above High. You also have a potential tower at the former Dispatch property across from the Capitol. With Ohio State's massive new hospital tower under construction already you could have six towers of 100m+ under construction at one time.

You then have the second phase of The Peninsula that should garner some height, and Nationwide's parcel on Spring near the new Crew Stadium that is ripe for a tower, too.
Glad to hear it. Sounds like exciting times in C-bus.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 6:13 AM
Everywhere all at once

I always wondered why Columbus had lacked altogether any new high-rise proposals when it appears, to an outsider at least, to be the only city that is thriving in a state where most other urban areas are struggling to retain residents and drive economic growth. There are enough big projects underway now to catalyze some real vertical development. Fingers crossed

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 7:02 PM
somewhere in-between

Columbus' new Technology Innovation District was officially announced by Gov. DeWine last week. This follows in the footsteps of similar districts in the other two big C's (Cincinnati & Cleveland). It is an excitingly ambitious proposal -

Quote:
DeWine Announces New $1.1 Billion Columbus Technology District
Ben Blavat | The Lantern
February 17, 2021

...About $1.1 billion is expected to be poured into the project with the hope of creating 20,000 jobs — half in the health and technology industries — adding $3 billion to the economy in Central Ohio, according to a Wednesday press release from the governor’s office. University President Kristina M. Johnson said in the release the university will spend $650 million on the new West Campus facilities as part of the district. New construction projects include an Interdisciplinary Research Facility and an outpatient care facility in Dublin, Ohio. J.P. Nauseef, President and CEO of JobsOhio, said the nonprofit, which sponsors economic development in the state, will invest up to $100 million in the project, while Nationwide Children’s CEO Tim Robinson said the hospital will contribute $350 million. The remaining $2 billion is expected to come from real estate and housing developments for the incoming workers...
The district would be constructed on OSU's west campus (roughly here for rendering alignment) -

Source: The Lantern | Courtesy OSU

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 10:20 PM

Quote:
From July.

Harmony Tower:

It would go here:

Original image from here.
Do we know how tall it will be? looks like its pushing 120 meters or so

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 10:28 PM

The residential and office development around the new Crew Stadium in downtown will be called Astor Park. The following pictures come from https://mobile.twitter.com/columbuscrewsc. Not pictured is the planned 20 story senior housing building just north of the stadium.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 10:41 PM

Good lookin’ stuff. Columbus is an unknown gem in my book.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2021, 8:25 PM
somewhere in-between

Columbus new Hilton tower progress -

Source: LinkedIn | Donley's, Inc.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 4:09 PM

Quote:

North Market Tower - Arena/Convention District (Downtown):

This one grew three floors:

From: https://www.columbusunderground.com/...mmissions-bw1/

Old Posted Oct 9, 2021, 2:49 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Austin developer pushes into new state with project near Ohio State
Bonnie Meibers | Columbus Business First
October 6, 2021

A local developer has plans to redevelop an existing apartment building near Ohio State's campus. Get the details in this story, which also includes our latest list of Austin-area multifamily developers...
Lincoln Ventures is the developer, and they are working with Denver-based OZ Architecture. This would be built at 222 W Lane Avenue, adjacent to THE OSU - where there has been a lot of housing developments as of late -

Source: Columbus Business First | OZ Architecture

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 2:00 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

It's good to see some taller developments.

Columbus is kind of an outlier in terms of how much infill its' been building relative to its population and for being in a kind of forgotten region of the country. And a lot of the stuff being built seems to be of high architectural quality - lots of brick and whatever.

I'm surprised there are more high rises planned for the city though.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 5:54 PM

Would be great to see some new additions to the Columbus skyline! I moved to Columbus in the early 90's and the skyline is practically unchanged from back then. Lots of other great development has happened at the ground-level, just not in form of downtown towers.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 12:03 AM

"A 34-story tower could anchor the next phase of the redevelopment of the Scioto Peninsula. Details of the proposal were announced today by the project’s developers, Daimler Group and Flaherty & Collins.

The proposed second phase would fill in a two-acre, L-shaped parcel of land at the corner of West Broad Street and Belle Street, bringing 400 new residential units and 245,000 square feet of additional office space to the project. The base of the building would be made up of a four-story, 950-space parking garage, which would be topped by two separate structures – a seven-story office tower and a 30-story residential tower. The first floor of the building would support about 9,000 square feet of retail space.

The new building would sit to the north of the first phase of the development, which is currently under construction and made up of six separate buildings containing 330 residential units, a 200-room hotel, 250,000 square feet of office space, and a 1,400-space parking garage spread across about seven acres of land."

https://www.columbusunderground.com/...peninsula-bw1/

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
My guess is that Columbus would outrank Cincinnati and Cleveland in density and in most other data-based comparisons, due to its sheer size. It's more than double the population of each of the other two.
No. Columbus's circumstance makes it look much bigger on paper but it was much smaller than either Cleveland or Cincinnati until quite recently. It does have very nice 19th century and prewar areas, but they are nowhere near the scale of Cincinnati or Cleveland, which were both Top 10 U.S. cities for much of their existence.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations