HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 3:13 PM
Leftist Correctist

I think most would agree with those sentiments.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 9:39 PM

JR Central gives up on 2027 maglev launch after Shizuoka backs farmers

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...s-can-devised/

Quote:

- Central Japan Railway Co. has given up on launching the maglev line in 2027 after failing to secure approval for preparatory work from Shizuoka’s governor, who is concerned the massive project will damage the environment. — The Shizuoka Prefectural Government on Friday notified JR Central, as the railway is known, that it will not approve the resumption of preparatory work on the ultra-high-speed bullet train project, which will see magnetically levitated trains slash travel times by more than half.

- Under the current plan, JR Central would start excavating an area of Shizuoka running through the Southern Alps to build a tunnel for the maglev line, which would initially link Tokyo and Nagoya. — But local farmers are concerned construction will cause underground water to flow into the tunnel, diverting it away from the Oi River, which passes through a central part of Shizuoka well known for its production of tea and oranges. — Maglev trains will have a top speed of 500 kph, meaning the new line will slash the travel time between Nagoya and Tokyo.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 4:19 PM

China plans to build two 600 km/h maglev lines

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1201072.shtml

Quote:

- The plan of two 600 kilometer per hour high-speed maglev routes, including the Shanghai-Hangzhou maglev, and the Guangzhou-Shenzhen maglev, have appeared on the presentation of He Huawu, academician and vice director of the CAE, during a conference on modern transportation engineering technology on Wednesday, the paper.cn reported. The Shanghai-Hangzhou maglev will link Shanghai and Hangzhou in East China's Zhejiang Province, with a total length of 164 kilometers. It will also connect the current maglev line in Shanghai linking Pudong Airport. --- The Guangzhou-Shenzhen maglev line will connect Guangzhou to Shenzhen in South China's Guangdong Province, with a total length of about 110 kilometers, and it is expected to be connected to Hong Kong's Kowloon station in the future. The Shanghai-Hangzhou line will be mainly an open line, while the Guangzhou-Shenzhen maglev line will be an underground line, revealed He, who was one of major promoters of China's high-speed railway technology.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 8:50 PM

‘We ought to knock it down’ | Alsobrooks leads opposition to proposed DC – Baltimore 311 mph maglev train

https://www.wusa9.com/amp/article/ne...5-26b1b78f7938

Quote:

- As a proposal for the world’s fastest bullet train between D.C. and Baltimore advances in a complex approval process, Prince George’s County Executive Angela D. Alsobrooks made it clear she hopes to derail a train that floats, calling the Northeast Maglev “ridiculous” and an insult to her constituents. --- “I don’t even think it’s going to happen, I’ve got to be honest with you,” Alsobrooks told the Greenbelt City Council Monday. “But I think we ought to oppose it every time they mention it, we ought to knock it down.” The proposed bullet train would link Baltimore and Washington in 15 minutes, with an intermediate stop at BWI Airport. Superconducting magnets lift the train four inches above the ground while propelling it forward.

- Backers contend a strong partnership between the Japanese railway company JR Central and the Baltimore-based Northeast Maglev would bring the technology to the United States. The Japanese government has agreed in principle to finance around half the $10 billion estimated price tag. A draft environmental impact statement, detailing the proposed SCMaglev’s effects on Maryland and the District is expected to be released to the public in early 2021. --- “There’s no ambivalence on my part at all about it, it’s clearly wrong,” Alsobrooks (D) told Greenbelt council members during a Zoom meeting. “I think it’s so disrespectful to come through our community, destroy homes, destroy so much, and not even have the thing stop here.”

- Preliminary plans call for the train to mostly tunnel depths between seven and 24 stories below the county, emerging above ground near Prince George’s border with Anne Arundel County. Elevated tracks would then parallel BW Parkway, before returning the maglev underground near Ft. Meade. --- No homes would be demolished, according to initial plans submitted to the Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOT) and the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA). “We need it because we’re drowning in absolutely abysmal traffic that is ruining our lives,” Wayne Rogers, chairman and CEO of the Northeast Maglev, said in a 2019 interview with WUSA9. “Nearly all our roads fail, we have the worst and longest commute in all of America, and I feel confident we’ll get approval from the federal government.”

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 11:51 PM
Leftist Correctist

My confidence that this project could or would ever be built "hovers" in the low single digits, but if this country is ever going to advance with alternative transportation in this century we have to make sure that people like that moron in this article are kept from positions of influence.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 1:56 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
My confidence that this project could or would ever be built "hovers" in the low single digits, but if this country is ever going to advance with alternative transportation in this century we have to make sure that people like that moron in this article are kept from positions of influence.
As a county executive, she is already in a position of authority.

As for meglev trains, which agency within the USDOT will be given the responsibility to regulate it? The FRA seems unlikely because there will be no rails, the FTA is a possibility because there will be a guideway, the FAA because the vehicle will be flying a few inches above a guideway.

It has taken Texas Central almost a decade to get the FRA approval to use Shinkansen based train control system, a system in use over 50 years. How long will it take any federal agency to approve meglev control systems that are basically brand new with little history?

If you believe the various federal agencies will not fight over the regulatory powers of this new transportation method, what rock have you been living under. They fight for control over everything constantly.

Congress needs to address these responsibilities first, with potential political deadlock for years to come. Once who will regulate meglev is answered, how fast will that agency introduce new regulations for it?

Texas Central had basically zero train competition with Amtrak abandoning Dallas to Houston trains two decades ago. This meglev line will have two direct competitors, Amtrak and MARC. Both of them having politically active unions within the Democrat party.

I am not suggesting either pro or anti meglev opinions, just reflecting upon issues that will arise. Good luck!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 2:07 PM

Then create a new FMA to oversee it.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 8:02 AM

I missed that post from September. Man, it would be so cool if the Shanghai maglev was extended, and became a real-life intercity transportation link. I've ridden that train once, and it was surreal. It's the fastest scheduled train service in the world, meaning a TGV or whatever has gone faster once or twice, but you'll never get to ride one of those at that speed because it was just a stunt. The ex-TransRapid maglev is the real deal. It is an awesome train, and I hope they can make something real out of that little demonstration line they have now.
Video Link

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 8:08 PM

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation