HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 4:45 PM

Lost in all the excitement down south I didn't even realize there was a by-election in PEI tonight. Looks like the PCs will get their majority without needing to force a general election.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 5:11 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Lost in all the excitement down south I didn't even realize there was a by-election in PEI tonight. Looks like the PCs will get their majority without needing to force a general election.
Is this a surefire thing? Greens finished second in D10 last year.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 10:54 PM

There's really no by-election polling to go by other than what scant few provincial polls there have been. PC's hold a sizable lead in those, which would lead me to think that the PCs are the favourites in that by-election.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 3:42 AM

PCs easily win Charlottetown-Winsloe with 49% of the vote. PEI PCs now have a majority government.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 3:44 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
PCs easily win Charlottetown-Winsloe with 49% of the vote. PEI PCs now have a majority government.
Although Premier King still promises to govern collaboratively.

Premier Higgs has promised to do the same in NB (at least as far as the COVID crisis is concerned). He is maintaining an all party cabinet committee to oversee the response.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 6:36 PM

Some great legislation being tabled in NB.

https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/n...0.11.0609.html

Quote:
Amendments to the Assessment Act aimed at making the property tax system more fair and providing local governments with the ability to raise additional revenue were introduced in the legislative assembly today.
https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/n...0.11.0611.html

Quote:
Amendments to the Assessment Act were introduced today that eliminate property tax for local government transit facilities beginning with the 2020 taxation year.
https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/n...0.11.0613.html

Quote:
Amendments to the Motor Vehicle Act that would allow ride-sharing services to operate in the province have been introduced in the legislative assembly.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 6:55 PM
ハルウララ

Allowing rideshares to operate and removing tax on local transit facilities are both sorely needed.

The municipal property tax changes i'm a bit more hesitant on, though, and feel like there's something else at play.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 7:47 PM

The new family law act is also a good one. This one likely goes abit under the radar as only someone whos dealt with the courts and lawyers relating to separations would be affected, but having a child support recalculation service is an absolute no brainer, particularly for those who have dealt with toxic or abusive relationships.

Its total madness the amount of money people have to fork out for lawyers just to get a change of $50-100 a month on child support. A court order is required for this today. A bitter spouse can sometimes drag this process out to financially abuse their ex. This is a service that could help people in their daily lives immediately.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
The municipal property tax changes i'm a bit more hesitant on, though, and feel like there's something else at play.
What's your hesitation there? The current system means some people are paying different amounts of property tax on properties that may have identical assessments. This just gets rid of that double standard, and the reality is that the people that are affected have been underpaying for years.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 10:43 PM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Allowing rideshares to operate and removing tax on local transit facilities are both sorely needed.

Rideshare operations should only be allowed if they have to pay the same fees as taxi companies do. If not then it's an unfair advantage and there is no incentive to run a cab company going forward. I know my particular employer won't be above changing his business model to a rideshare operation if this occurs so hopefully it's done in a way that's fair to everyone in the industry.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 5:00 PM
ハルウララ

https://www.nsndp.ca/lisa-roberts-no...nation-halifax

Lisa Roberts not seeking re-election; plans to seek federal NDP nomination in Halifax

Roberts is the current NDP MLA for Halifax-Needham. Halifax is currently represented by Liberal MP Andy Filmore, who defeated long-time NDP MP Megan Leslie in 2015.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 5:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I was trying to think of a thread to post this in, since it is not location specific (beyond southern NB), but the final decision regarding where this is built will likely be at least partially "political"

from CCD Canada:

Quote:
MARSHALL CANADA

CCD Ref. Number : NB163494-21-07

Stage : 2-Planning

Published : July 12, 2021

Starting Date (estimated) : July 2022 or Later
Size : Mid-sized ($23,490,000)

Work type : New construction

Sector : Private

SIC Code : 3710-Motor Vehicles and Equipment

Category : 1-Industrial

Subcategories : 1U-Transportation (automotive, aviation…)

Disciplines : ARCH, CIV, ELEC, ENV, EQUI, HVAC, INST, MEC-B, MEC-I, STRUC, OTHER*

PROVINCE OF NEW BRUNSWICK (NB)
(Cross Regional)

Description :
NEW COMPOSITE STRUCTURES & COMPONENTS PLANT -
Located in New Brunswick, this project (Marshall Canada) estimated at $23 490 000 is in the planning stage. A construction schedule will be developed following the selection of the site expected in 3Q21. The plant is expected to be operational by the 2Q22. Works concern the construction of a composite structures and components plant. Marshall Canada is planning to build a composite structures and components manufacturing plant in southern New Brunswick. The site has not yet been selected. The company's Land Systems business unit will use the plant to produce modular shelters, vehicle load beds, armored vehicle bodies and other protective vehicle systems for the aerospace and defense markets. The project includes the design and construction or the renovation of building space, the acquisition and installation of equipment and systems for composite fabrication, assembly, painting and testing, as well as overhead cranes.

- Initiator: INFORMATION AVAILABLE TO SUBSCRIBERS
So, a $23.5M defence and aerospace manufacturing plant! This would be a juicy plum to whichever city lands it. I could see this going in SJ, Freddy or Moncton. It will be an excellent addition to the province wherever it goes.

It should be noted that there are two large recently cleared lots in the Caledonia Industrial Park in Moncton. Hmmmmmm.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I was trying to think of a thread to post this in, since it is not location specific (beyond southern NB), but the final decision regarding where this is built will likely be at least partially "political"

from CCD Canada:

So, a $23.5M defence and aerospace manufacturing plant! This would be a juicy plum to whichever city lands it. I could see this going in SJ, Freddy or Moncton. It will be an excellent addition to the province wherever it goes.

It should be noted that there are two large recently cleared lots in the Caledonia Industrial Park in Moncton. Hmmmmmm.
Yeah since there was no location disclosed I didn't know where to post it so I just put it in the Moncton thread.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 3:18 PM

Moncton or SJ do seem to be the most likely; both cities have industrial manufacturing.

Freddy has always been more 'soft' engineering (as in software) and doesn't really have the industrial base that would attract this sort of project, so it would be a long shot for it to be coming here.

Still, a good project for the province at large.

*Edit* I hadn't noticed it was a project for "Southern NB". Moncton is by far the most likely target then, followed by SJ. Freddy is classically "Central NB" so that would take it out anyways.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Moncton or SJ do seem to be the most likely; both cities have industrial manufacturing.

Freddy has always been more 'soft' engineering (as in software) and doesn't really have the industrial base that would attract this sort of project, so it would be a long shot for it to be coming here.

Still, a good project for the province at large.

*Edit* I hadn't noticed it was a project for "Southern NB". Moncton is by far the most likely target then, followed by SJ. Freddy is classically "Central NB" so that would take it out anyways.
If it's a gift from the Feds, it will go to Moncton. We know the drill.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 3:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Is anyone else vaguely insulted by NS Premier Iain Rankin's promise to remove tolls on NS 104 to all "Nova Scotia plated" vehicles, while maintaining them for everyone else?

I wonder if this is even constitutional?

I had a lot of respect for Stephen McNeill when he was NS Premier. So far I think Rankin is a dud.

If he goes ahead with this discriminatory policy, I vote that Blaine Higgs erect a toll booth on the Tantramar Marsh east of Aulac and charge tolls to all NS plated vehicles.

Seems fair to me!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
If he goes ahead with this discriminatory policy, I vote that Blaine Higgs erect a toll booth on the Tantramar Marsh east of Aulac and charge tolls to all NS plated vehicles.
Seems fair to me!
Might have to be a ferry toll if sea levels continue to overwhelm the ithmus.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 3:46 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
Might have to be a ferry toll if sea levels continue to overwhelm the ithmus.
Irving will get their Tantramar Canal after all.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 4:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIreland View Post
If it's a gift from the Feds, it will go to Moncton. We know the drill.
Sorry. It's private investment (although, you never know, perhaps there is some federal incentive money involved, they do seem rather keen on building in NB after all).

Dominic has secured $1.1B for southeastern NB, to be spent over the next decade for the ASEC in Moncton ($700M) and a new prison hospital in Dorchester ($400M). Another $5M in subsidies for a new defence plant in NB would amount to nothing more than a rounding error for him. If Dominic is involved, it'll get built in Dieppe.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jul 22, 2021 at 4:25 PM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 10:18 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I just noticed this: https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6111117
N.S.P.C. for healthcare and N.S.N.D.P. for small businesses… Did PC and NDP in Nova Scotia switch places or something?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces