HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Circuit of The Americas looks to expand sports offerings to tennis, volleyball, boxing
Y'all...I so wish I could just peek in on Austin 10 years from now. This is awesome

http://www.statesman.com/news/sports...rts-off/nSg8B/
Forget about what I said of Austin ever having a football or baseball team; this really is pretty freaking dope if it ever does happen.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 10:52 AM

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 5:54 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Oh its going to happen alright. Ive found that these guys know what they are doing and know how to get things done. Get ready folks, We are witnessing one of the greatest if not the greatest turning points in our city's history.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixcity View Post
Yea 311 Bowie and Seaholm were supposed to be starting soon, I wonder if anyone has heard anything.
From what I've heard 311 Bowie has been delayed for now. Not sure why I'll get back with you on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud92 View Post
Finale that area needed some loving
That area needs a big improvement, there has been several occasions where people had close calls with cars going by because of the lack of sidewalks.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 4:04 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
Is this the one y'all keep referring to as that "unnamed project"? Someone earlier mentioned they thought it was the Quarters at Bandera House and I think they were right.

I googled it

(Click on the second link for an excel file on the city's website)

The address for the project is 2215 Rio Grande.

Video Link
Ah, that's it. Yep, that's the Quarters at Bandera House. I already had a height for it also. It's 80 feet 9 inches to the main roof and has 8 floors. I wasn't able to find the mechanical penthouse height which might add another 10 or 12 feet.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 11:03 PM

916 Springdale U/C

Quote:
Located in East Austin, this project is the conversion of an industrial concrete warehouse into creative office suites, art galleries and a café. Portions of the existing building footprint were removed to create exterior communal courtyards and covered breezeways. In doing so, artist interaction is encouraged and a creative community is fostered. In addition, opening up a central courtyard brings more visibility and natural light to each tenant space.
http://www.hsuoffice.com/projects/co...pringdale.html

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 7:13 AM

MVVA has some new renderings of Waller Creek.

There's more on there website if interested:
http://www.mvvainc.com/project.php?id=99&c=urban_design

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 2:32 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
I like that, the area beneath overpasses is so underutalized everywhere.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 3:57 PM

[QUOTE=JoninATX;5873111]From what I've heard 311 Bowie has been delayed for now. Not sure why I'll get back with you on that.

That sucks. At 423 feet it really would have tied the skyline together. What's the hold up?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post

I have such a boner for that! I LOVE the bridge and the underpass. This is going to be really realllly good for Austin.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post

I love the design of the pontoon bridge, but I hate the idea of having it across town lake, even if it is only 2 times a day. I am sorry, but no structure should be built that limits access of rowers, kayakers, and other boats on the lake. Even if they plan on just extending it out for limited times during the day, those times will in essence cause a quarter of Town Lake to be cut off.

A bridge sounds like a great idea...but they need to have it so that there is space under it for recreational boats to pass.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myomi View Post
I love the design of the pontoon bridge, but I hate the idea of having it across town lake, even if it is only 2 times a day. I am sorry, but no structure should be built that limits access of rowers, kayakers, and other boats on the lake. Even if they plan on just extending it out for limited times during the day, those times will in essence cause a quarter of Town Lake to be cut off.

A bridge sounds like a great idea...but they need to have it so that there is space under it for recreational boats to pass.
I think it's great, and will make the city/trail even more accessible. The pontoon bridge will connect to the new board walk. I really love that it retracts daily.
The lights however need to be redesigned. Those suckers will get busted in 2 seconds.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 5:44 PM
Ex Houstonian

So, whats the schedule on the bridge then?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 6:08 PM

Its dumb. As a rower i would burn this motha fffin bridge down. If they want a bridge at least have a middle section that goes up so boats can go under. Plus that bridge is really cheapy looking. Not exactly world class in anyway.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 6:39 PM

The bridge looks cool, but they just need to raise it for kayakers, and boaters to pass under. Also check out the design underneath E. 8th street.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 7:46 PM

Well, it does look very nice but I agree with other people's sentiments. I don't think it should block off other boats or kayaks. They should definitely raise it.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 8:27 PM

Looks like the rowers in the rendering are about to hit the bridge. A retracting pontoon sounds terrible. Things with moving parts (clasp able or retractable) break quicker.

I like the idea of the lights, but come on. Remember the lights on Congress that were supposed to have dancing patterns and lighting schemes for lots of holidays? It didn't have happen. They were rarely on, and when they were...they didn't work right.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 9:59 PM
Meh

I'm in love with that bridge. Oh man, I so want to see this happen!

Where are you guys hearing/reading that this will be a movable pontoon bridge? It just looks to me like the rendering got it a bit wrong and made it appear too low. Look at the bridge in that other rendering showing the overall view of the creek (with the bats). It appears to have pylons in that rendering, which would make it permanent.

If they are planning a bridge that is too low for boats, then I can't support that idea. And I'm surprised APD would allow that either since they also have a police boat that they use to patrol the river with. I also would not like or support the idea of a bridge that is movable and is only there at certain times of the day. That just seems stupid. And as kingkirbythe.... said, I would worry that a movable/mobile bridge would have maintenance issues/costs that wouldn't be maintained. I would really hate to see a pedestrian bridge that was designed, paid for and built not actually being used just sitting along the bank being an eyesore. Make it a permanent bridge or else don't disgrace us with it. Plus a movable bridge would require someone operating it.

And the lights, I like the idea. I'm usually not a fan of bridges with overhead structural features that might obstruct the view. After all, you know we'll be loving that view. But I don't mind the arches. They add something interesting to the design while not really obstructing it too much. I don't mind the design of the lights, I just don't want them being too overbearing at night so that they ruin the view of the skyline. And also the view out there on the water with the stars and the moon will be nice. I just don't want the lights being "too much". And of course they should last. I guess they would use LEDs.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 12:04 AM

I think that the boats will be routed through the little island on the north side of the bridge.... that could be cool... like a little Venice portion for kayakers to access the other side of the lake... it also could blow for them if it is too narrow and restrictive... I say just have a little hump like portion in the middle that slopes up a bit and allows people to pass under the middle.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 1:27 AM

If this is anything like green which I personally believe it is then none of this is going to happen. Just a whole lotta somethin else.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations