HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 4:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I see in the St. John's retail thread that Five Guys will be opening up in the Avalon Mall (their equivalent of CF Champlain). I had not given any though to Five Guys opening at CF Champlain before, but this certainly could be a possibility. We know that Five Guys had identified Halifax, St. John's and Moncton as their initial markets in Atlantic Canada. It's Moncton's turn next. Could we see a Five Guys at Champlain Place in 2021???

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 11:47 PM

Highly unlikely that Five Guys is going at Champlain. I haven't seen Five Guys in a mall settings much really, usually it's in a big box area, shopping plazas and something in a downtown setting. Perhaps they are going in some of the annex buildings in or around Avalon?

If I was the franchisee I would not be going to CF Champlain...

Last edited by OUIR@random; Nov 15, 2020 at 4:36 AM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 12:22 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I would generally agree. I only brought it up because the St. John's location is going into Avalon Mall.

A plaza location would be more typical for Five Guys - perhaps Champlain Plaza or the Granite Centre.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 4:16 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
Highly unlikely that Five Guys is going at Champlain. I haven't seen Five Guys in a mall settings much really, usually it's in big box area, plazas and something in a downtown setting. Perhaps they are going in some of the annex buildings in or around Avalon?

If I was the franchisee I would not be going to CF Champlain...
I thought the same thing - i've never seen an FG inside a mall. They're always either standalone or in strip malls. There are more urban FGs (Toronto and Montreal) but they're in very touristy, high traffic areas.

If an FG lands in Moncton i'd put much more money on a suburban power centre location off of either Elmwood or Mapleton near the TCH.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 7:28 PM

Champlain would be the type of area I would foresee a FG going, but not in the mall itself. More like a parking lot pad location, either on the mall property if they are looking at adding anything like that, or nearby. How full is that plaza where Mary Browns is? Something like that is where they would most likely go, based on the ones I've been to.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 7:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Champlain would be the type of area I would foresee a FG going, but not in the mall itself. More like a parking lot pad location, either on the mall property if they are looking at adding anything like that, or nearby. How full is that plaza where Mary Browns is? Something like that is where they would most likely go, based on the ones I've been to.
The new phase of Champlain Plaza is currently largely empty (since Skyzone decamped). Dollarama is moving in, but this still leaves several vacant CRUs. I think Champlain Plaza is the likely spot for Five Guys. It won't be in the northwest end anyway - Big League Burgers is already there, and it is a Five Guys knockoff.

Either Champlain Plaza, or the Granite Centre, near the new Costco.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 3:26 AM

Some CF Champlain updates (pictures are from Retail Talk & Share NB):

Hickory Farms is Now Open! for the holiday season. (They're located in the former Clair de Lune spot)

Labels is setting up in the former Alia N Tan Jay spot. Should be opening fairly soon.
They're a sister-store to Fairweather and the CF Champlain store will be their 2nd location in NB, (their 1st one being at McAllister Place in SJ).

Last edited by DyAm00394; Nov 19, 2020 at 3:39 AM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 3:28 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Naturalizer Shoes at CF Champlain will be closing. Caleres (the parent company) is shuttering 133 stores in Canada and the US in a move to online retail. Only two stores (in the US) will be spared.
https://footwearnews.com/2020/busine...gs-1203076789/

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 3:55 AM

I just wonder if all these closures at the mall has CF thinking about adding a residential component to Champlain place. The brick & mortar retail industry has become very challenging and even more so with Covid. They have done residential towers at other locations. With the residential market being so strong in Moncton, I think apartments attached to Champlain place would be very popular. But who knows if Moncton is even on their radar?

Similar to the Aquilini group - is Moncton on their radar? Both these companies are more that capable of producing major developments.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 11:49 AM

Labels is Now Open! at CF Champlain.

(Photo is from Retail Talk And Share NB).

Last edited by DyAm00394; Nov 27, 2020 at 12:37 PM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The new phase of Champlain Plaza is currently largely empty (since Skyzone decamped). Dollarama is moving in, but this still leaves several vacant CRUs. I think Champlain Plaza is the likely spot for Five Guys. It won't be in the northwest end anyway - Big League Burgers is already there, and it is a Five Guys knockoff.

Either Champlain Plaza, or the Granite Centre, near the new Costco.
Yeah. Would be a great location for Five Guys in Moncton.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 1:57 AM

For Five Guys there are a few good options 1. In Granite Center, 2. Dieppe in the plaza across the street from the mall. After the Avalon mall location opens up expect us to have ours before q3 or q4 of 2021.

Also 8 have seeen they brought in a machine to do some work on Saturday on the lot that Jiffy Lube will be and hope they will start the land prep soon.

But can’t wait to see what goes into Granite Center and do folks here have any insight.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 4:24 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
But can’t wait to see what goes into Granite Center and do folks here have any insight.
I personally have no idea why they decided to go ahead and build that new retail plaza on Granite Drive during the current COVID exacerbated retail apocalypse. It makes little sense to me.

All I can offer is speculation:

1) - one of the tenants of this new retail strip will be Five Guys, and since they will likely be occupying the unit in 2021, they needed to get the whole strip built and ready for fit-up.
2) - the adjacent pad site next to Elmwood Drive is designed for restaurant occupancy. If a new restaurant is built here next year (for example Jack Astor's), then they needed to get this work underway first, in order to provide for future driveway access.

As I said, both of these possibilities are purely speculative, but might explain why they otherwise constructed a retail strip likely to remain largely vacant for the next 4-5 years.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 10:59 AM

In a way building that new strip may make sense to the builders considering few retailers are flourishing as much as Walmart and Costco during the pandemic. Could it be they are gambling on retailers closing up shops in areas that are not seeing as much traffic and relocating to try and capture some of the persistent Costco traffic?

As to the restaurant, we moved to Irishtown during the pandemic and the traffic going down Elmwood and the 115th is significant but yet restaurant options are incredibly limited.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masoncarr2244 View Post
Yeah. Would be a great location for Five Guys in Moncton.
I'm likely alone on this but I will disagree on the plaza being a great spot for Five Guys. The entire strip is invisible to people.
Three restaurants have failed here already, including Mary Brown's twice despite their northwest location doing exceedingly well, plus a super nice Asian food sit down eatery.
You could put a permanent Bill Lynch Show in there, and no one would notice.
You never know, maybe a Five Guys would be the catalyst to get this strip some attention. But I doubt it.
Just my two cents, in full cosideration that I'm one of the guys who said a restaurant named after a 1960 hockey player that serves only donuts and coffee would never work in Moncton.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 1:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feneant View Post
As to the restaurant, we moved to Irishtown during the pandemic and the traffic going down Elmwood and the 115th is significant but yet restaurant options are incredibly limited.
Having considerable experience driving around town, I would have little difficulty admitting that Elmwood Drive (since the construction of the new Costco) is now the busiest street volume wise in the entire CMA. The difference is quite striking! Mountain Road on the other hand has become a lot quieter. Part of the decrease in traffic volume on Mountain is because of diversion of traffic from the northwest end to Berry Mills via Horsman. The Berry Mills route provides a straighter shot to downtown with fewer traffic lights.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 3:56 PM

Just read on the FB retail talk group that a Under Armour outlet could be coming to the Mapleton Power center besides Mastermind Toys

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 4:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs33 View Post
Just read on the FB retail talk group that a Under Armour outlet could be coming to the Mapleton Power center besides Mastermind Toys
Good news! This would be the old Wicker Emporium location. The Mapleton Centre has really solidified it's position as Moncton's (smaller scale) version of Dartmouth Crossing.

Meanwhile Wheeler Park continues to slowly ossify and die - a process that will only accelerate with the decampment of the Kent store to Mapleton Park Place by the TCH next year. Wheeler Park badly needs a revisioning exercise to try and reverse its decline.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Dec 1, 2020 at 4:12 PM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs33 View Post

If true, great news and addition to the market!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 11:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
If true, great news and addition to the market!
A source of mine has all but confirmed that Under Armour is coming to the Mapleton Centre.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces