HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 2:39 PM
Space Magi

New Project

A new project from db URBAN called "CINQ" was submitted to the city for design review. It looks to be a large new housing development with some adaptive reuse and ground floor commercial.

And guess where it's located?

The Depot District!

Quote:
The project site occupies the N.W. corner of the intersection of 200 South and 500 West. On this site are two existing buildings. The first building is a vacant retail storefront on the West end of the site that will be removed. The second building is a vacant four-level, concrete warehouse, that is located almost in the center of the 200 South streetscape.

The existing warehouse will have a portion of the structure removed from the rear, to facilitate the new structure wrapping the West, North and East sides. The exterior facade adjacent to 200 South will remain and be repaired and stabilized.

This project will deliver a 203-unit apartment building, consisting of a two-story podium at street level with five wood framed stories above. (See, enclosed concept plans). The streetscape will consist of an active mix of retail, tenant amenity space, and live/work studios. Parking required by this zone has been met with integrated onsite enclosed parking garage capable of housing 125 vehicles.

Given the direct proximity to the Old Green Town Trax Station and the Gateway commercial development, we believe that this design will not only meet the City’s vision for this district but will also enhance the area by adding a walkable, active, transit-oriented, multi-family option for City Resident in an area that is currently vacant.

More images:

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 3:36 PM

Which architecture firm is doing this?
This has got to be the best new proposal in the Depot District. It is keeping some of the older buildings and putting active use on the street level. The only criticism I have is that the upper levels seems to be too monolithic. If they could vary the material or color, it would help. I do like the back and forth of the massing above, though.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 3:39 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Which architecture firm is doing this?
From the letterhead on the documents, I think its Dwell design studio: https://www.dwelldesignstudio.com/

Looking through that website, it looks like they're doing the Utah Theater tower too. Feast your eyes on these renderings!

"Main Street Apartments"

Quote:

Ahhh Salt Lake City…beautiful mountains, Winter Olympics, funky counter-culture, the city that made Bill Paxton less known for saying “Game over man!” in Aliens to saying “Game On!” in Big Love….well, get ready to add another beauty to the list baby! Dwell’s design of the Main Street Highrise for Hines is a glittering gem that will raise the architectural status of Salt Lake City on the national radar.

In some kind of mind-blowing fashion, Dwell’s design team strategically blended the lower half of the tower into the context of the surrounding architecture, then featured a sleek and elegantly modern upper half of the tower…all the while creating a well-composed iconic building design.

SLC loves it!!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 3:46 PM

Wow we finally have a rendering. Judging from how it looks next to 111 Main, it seems to be over 400 ft for sure. This and Kensington will be great additions.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 4:29 PM

Liberty Sky appears to be getting first residential floor glass today...

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboubak View Post
Wow we finally have a rendering. Judging from how it looks next to 111 Main, it seems to be over 400 ft for sure. This and Kensington will be great additions.
Wow, cool day on the forum!
The Cinq looks great with commercial use on the east end, and integrating the old building in the middle. Hope they put more commercial on the west end.
The Utah Theatre tower looks bitchin' and I'm guessing is around 380' to 400', judging from the view across the street from One Utah Center, which is 350'.
Interesting that the first six or so floors are larger floor plates than the rest;
taller apt. ceilings, or commercial?
Build NOW.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
A new project from db URBAN called "CINQ" was submitted to the city for design review. It looks to be a large new housing development with some adaptive reuse and ground floor commercial.

The Depot District!
This looks great, and I am so glad they are not demolishing the warehouse building there and will wrap the new building around that historic structure. I hope it also includes rehabbing the old warehouse into loft apartments.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 5:41 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflatflat9 View Post
The Utah Theatre tower looks bitchin' and I'm guessing is around 380' to 400', judging from the view across the street from One Utah Center, which is 350'.
Using the roof of 111 S. Main and some perspective lines, it looks to me (assuming 12 ft/floor) that it's closer to 450 ft.

The balcony view makes it look shorter than that though.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 5:55 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePusherMan View Post
Booked a cheap flight to Vegas just to go see the airport/sky club. I’m really excited. Can’t believe there hasn’t been more chatter about this being finished. This is probably the most important development in Salt Lake in a decade. Eccles theatre a close second imo.
Just got back from Mexico. Flights were too early/late to really dig in but we rolled through and the Sky club is phenomenal. Vast majority of retail kiosks are not open yet. The entire airport experience is surreal. Felt like I was not in SLC at all. Right on par with some of the off continent airport experiences in Europe and Asia. Newness aside, it is easily the nicest airport in America right now. When it's done it is an absolute game changer. The biggest change in Utah since the Olympics IMHO.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 5:59 PM

I hope hines and kensington start soon. It would be amazing to see so many cranes and so much steel rising at once.

I drove though austin again last week and continue to be amazed at all the growth. SLC could be a poor man's austin soon

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Using the roof of 111 S. Main and some perspective lines, it looks to me (assuming 12 ft/floor) that it's closer to 450 ft.

The balcony view makes it look shorter than that though.

The balcony view is from that balcony in the middle though, not the one on top. You can tell because it has the second level balcony (which the mid-height one has) while the one on top has just one level.

See:
]

So this is in that mid-balcony (around 350 feet or so (the height of One Utah Center)) with about 9-10 floors above it still. So your math makes sense Atlas.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbutah View Post
Liberty Sky appears to be getting first residential floor glass today...
Super exciting! I love when glass starts going in.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileybo View Post
The only cities similar to Salt Lake there are Milwaukee, Portland, and Kansas City. Those other towns are too big or too small,

Anywho, glad there’s growth I guess.
It is a good report. And, actually, Sacramento, & Jacksonville are probably similar in metro/CSA statistics.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 7:11 PM
NIMBY Hater

Bumping so not last post on previous page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
Part of me wonders if this is the actual tower my acquaintance was referring to. There is a chance I misunderstood.

On a different topic, does anyone on this board have experience in SLC with lot line adjustments or lot consolidation when two parcels are bisected by a utility easement that has become obsolete?

I know SLC is generally pro-development, so I'm optimistic the city would be amenable to this change. But I'm honestly not sure what the process is like and how it's generally received.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 8:03 PM

Salt Lake City's new flag

Looks like this is the flag design the city is likely going to choose.
https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/salt-lake-citys/

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 8:08 PM

'Pantages Park'

I do think the park on top of the parking garage could have really cool views of the city when its built. It also looks like they want to do some sort of amphitheater as part of it, which could be fun.

I just wish there was a set of stairs descending down the west side of the garage, allowing for a midblock access to the Rocky Mountain Power Plaza and the Arrow Press site.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 8:10 PM

Well, combining the two proposals made for a better flag than any of the individual finalists. But it still leaves me with a pretty meh feeling overall.

As for that Utah Theater Tower rendering, wow, I really hope that's what we get! That would be the best tower in Salt Lake City for sure. If this and Kensington both go through, this would truly be an exciting time for Salt Lake.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 9:04 PM

With the Hines proposal, I'm curious if this is a newer version or an older version or from a team that didn't get the job. That's two residential towers designed by Atlanta design firms. Liberty Sky and this one. SLC has had quite the invasion of design firms from outside SLC.

But, regarding the design, I really hope that Salt Lake City makes them create an attractive Through-Block passage. That garage is a barrier, and I'm skeptical about it being used as a plaza. It's interesting, but we need these blocks to be more porous. We've already started that trend with City Creek and the recent Regent Street passage from Main Street. How about this?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 9:14 PM

Quote:
A new pro
ject from db URBAN called "CINQ" was submitted to the city for design review. It looks to be a large new housing development with some adaptive reuse and ground floor commercial.

The Depot District!

Thrilled they are incorporating the existing structures into their building designs. Amazed actually.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 9:20 PM

Here's a massing view in context from the southwest:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West