HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
I believe it's a fire safety requirement.
Yep, per the International Building Code, fire ratings increase the closer you get to the property line. The best way to fix it is to building another building abutting it.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
Looks like they built to the lot line though. Zoning I believe restricts window surface area the closer you approach the lot line. Ala the architect for Azure said they had to make that ugly backend of the building because limitations on how much window surface area they could have being so close to the lot line.
Its not zoning. Its International Building Code.
Edit: I see others beat me to it. In addition to the fire issue someone could put a highrise right next to this someday and then the hotel would have to drop the rates on those rooms.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 1:27 PM

The amount of private student housing in Midtown for Georgia Tech is insane! https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...n-funeral.html

In the last 5 years Georgia Tech has gotten SQ5, UH, Standard, Mark, Theory, and 3rd and Spring, and Centennial and North. How is Georgia State not getting these developments?

It's crazy because Georgia State is the largest university in the state, still transitioning from being a commuter school, and is surrounded by cheaper land. Similar developments could really help change Downtown.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdtwnATL View Post
It truly is just awful. However, maybe they anticipate another development built on that side? Also amazing how they cheapened the materials on this.... SMH
Can you please identify which part "they cheapened the materials"? It looks exactly like the rendering arctk2014 posted. In my opinion this is an improvement from the original.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 1:43 PM
Development Spectator

Quote:
Originally Posted by THWg View Post
The amount of private student housing in Midtown for Georgia Tech is insane! https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...n-funeral.html

In the last 5 years Georgia Tech has gotten SQ5, UH, Standard, Mark, Theory, and 3rd and Spring, and Centennial and North. How is Georgia State not getting these developments?

It's crazy because Georgia State is the largest university in the state, still transitioning from being a commuter school, and is surrounded by cheaper land. Similar developments could really help change Downtown.
What makes any of these private "student" towers GT or GSU? As far as I know there is no requirement that you attend one or the other, or any school to enter a lease. If its proximity to GT that you're using to associate them with the school I think that's just a matter of where the market drove development. GSU itself had dorms at the Olympic Village right next to GT for a while.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 1:57 PM

GSU has had two such large-scale high-end student housing towers built by private developers (both on Dobbs st). But it is indeed lagging far behind GT in these developments.

It's more than commuter vs resident schools. Here are the undergrad breakdowns:

Georgia Tech is 35% out of state and 9% international
Georgia State is 4% out of state and 3% international

Georgia Tech students are much likelier to be attending from far away, therefore less likely to have a car they want to bring to college, or to know the Atlanta area well to find apartments. There are many more international students, and although this isn't in the stats, I'll bet many more students are second generation immigrants than GSU. GT undergrads are also probably selecting from a wide array of very expensive colleges across the country, and paying a ton for housing is part of the deal for any of them.

All this will tend to lead to GT students wanting proximity to class and willing to pay a premium for it, whereas GSU students are more likely to come from the metro area, be comfortable here, have cars here, and potentially be working during school and therefore wanting to minimize rent costs.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testarossa50 View Post
GSU has had two such large-scale high-end student housing towers built by private developers (both on Dobbs st). But it is indeed lagging far behind GT in these developments.

It's more than commuter vs resident schools. Here are the undergrad breakdowns:

Georgia Tech is 35% out of state and 9% international
Georgia State is 4% out of state and 3% international

Georgia Tech students are much likelier to be attending from far away, therefore less likely to have a car they want to bring to college, or to know the Atlanta area well to find apartments. There are many more international students, and although this isn't in the stats, I'll bet many more students are second generation immigrants than GSU. GT undergrads are also probably selecting from a wide array of very expensive colleges across the country, and paying a ton for housing is part of the deal for any of them.

All this will tend to lead to GT students wanting proximity to class and willing to pay a premium for it, whereas GSU students are more likely to come from the metro area, be comfortable here, have cars here, and potentially be working during school and therefore wanting to minimize rent costs.
Thanks-- Great analysis and a great answer--

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daharris80 View Post
What makes any of these private "student" towers GT or GSU? As far as I know there is no requirement that you attend one or the other, or any school to enter a lease. If its proximity to GT that you're using to associate them with the school I think that's just a matter of where the market drove development. GSU itself had dorms at the Olympic Village right next to GT for a while.
Correct, they aren't officially students-only, just designed with students in mind and marketed as such. Anyone can rent there, technically (but who would want to if you aren't a student).

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTAisSmarta View Post
Can you please identify which part "they cheapened the materials"? It looks exactly like the rendering arctk2014 posted. In my opinion this is an improvement from the original.
You think the newer rendering looks nicer than the old one?? To me it looks like a tall version of their cheap 4-story motels with its beige stucco all the way up. The older rendering looked a bit sleeker to me.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdtwnATL View Post
You think the newer rendering looks nicer than the old one?? To me it looks like a tall version of their cheap 4-story motels with its beige stucco all the way up. The older rendering looked a bit sleeker to me.
Both of their initial designs for the two projects were very similar. I'm not sure how you could like one and not the other. But yes, I believe both designs are an improvement over the original renderings.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 5:17 PM

Lookup the Chelsea NYC Hampton Inn and tell me looks better than this... I’m sorry but how you can expect a budget hotel to be starchitecture is beyond me

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 6:34 PM

This 100%. Haven’t you learned yet? Everything is supposed to be built from gold and diamonds but still be affordable. Why oh why doesn’t that happen, I just can’t fathom!

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
Lookup the Chelsea NYC Hampton Inn and tell me looks better than this... I’m sorry but how you can expect a budget hotel to be starchitecture is beyond me
I expect all architecture built in any city (especially my own) to be competent and good urabanistically. Design can be good without costing a fortune. This is not good design--

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge View Post
I expect all architecture built in any city (especially my own) to be competent and good urabanistically. Design can be good without costing a fortune. This is not good design--
My own personal opinion- they could at least try to remove these 'design elements' and just make the buildings boring boxes with windows if they really want to save money. Older buildings of the 1960's were uniform and bland, but at least they didn't have this cheap flair they are adding to the outside of these buildings. I like the inexpensive looking Hampton Inn of Chelsea much better than this new Atlanta building, mainly because it is symmetrical and just a building with windows without this garbage flair added to it.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 8:10 PM
Ahhhh KELLY CLARKSON!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
my own personal opinion- they could at least try to remove these 'design elements' and just make the buildings boring boxes with windows if they really want to save money. Older buildings of the 1960's were uniform and bland, but at least they didn't have this cheap flair they are adding to the outside of these buildings. I like the inexpensive looking hampton inn of chelsea much better than this new atlanta building, mainly because it is symmetrical and just a building with windows without this garbage flair added to it.
exactly!!!!!!!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
My own personal opinion- they could at least try to remove these 'design elements' and just make the buildings boring boxes with windows if they really want to save money. Older buildings of the 1960's were uniform and bland, but at least they didn't have this cheap flair they are adding to the outside of these buildings. I like the inexpensive looking Hampton Inn of Chelsea much better than this new Atlanta building, mainly because it is symmetrical and just a building with windows without this garbage flair added to it.
Yeah-- I totally agree. All that stuff is awful. Its how a lot of bad designers operate and this firm has not exhibited much design ability to date--
I would prefer a nicely detailed simple background building instead of something that is trying way too hard to be something its not.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge View Post
Yeah-- I totally agree. All that stuff is awful. Its how a lot of bad designers operate and this firm has not exhibited much design ability to date--
I would prefer a nicely detailed simple background building instead of something that is trying way too hard to be something its not.
Didn't see this one mentioned yet.

https://whatnowatlanta.com/toll-brot...est-peachtree/

Toll Brothers, a nationwide developer of “luxury” homes, is in the planning stages to develop a new residential tower in Midtown.

The real estate firm recently submitted plans to the City of Atlanta to redevelop a 1.571-acre tract, at 1018 and 1032 West Peachtree Street NW, into a new development with “market rate and student housing multifamily dwelling units.”

There would also be sidewalk-level commercial space and a parking structure.

JLL until late-2018 were entertaining offers for the land, according to a microsite dedicated to marketing 1018 West Peachtree Street.

The property has since been put “under contract,” presumably by Toll Brothers.

Reps for the real estate firm—not immediately available for comment when reached by What Now Atlanta Wednesday—will most likely present the plans to Midtown’s Design Review Committee as early as next week.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 2:05 AM

More on West Peachtree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehaven View Post
Didn't see this one mentioned yet.

https://whatnowatlanta.com/toll-brot...est-peachtree/

Toll Brothers, a nationwide developer of “luxury” homes, is in the planning stages to develop a new residential tower in Midtown.

The real estate firm recently submitted plans to the City of Atlanta to redevelop a 1.571-acre tract, at 1018 and 1032 West Peachtree Street NW, into a new development with “market rate and student housing multifamily dwelling units.”

There would also be sidewalk-level commercial space and a parking structure.

JLL until late-2018 were entertaining offers for the land, according to a microsite dedicated to marketing 1018 West Peachtree Street.

The property has since been put “under contract,” presumably by Toll Brothers.

Reps for the real estate firm—not immediately available for comment when reached by What Now Atlanta Wednesday—will most likely present the plans to Midtown’s Design Review Committee as early as next week.

Former WAGA and WTCG building now behind Hanover West Peachtree

http://www.atlantatimemachine.com/downtown/waga1.htm

http://www.atlantatimemachine.com/downtown/waga3.htm

Online Marketing brochure of property

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1018...a-GA/14092708/

No mention of price

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Peachtree View Post
Former WAGA and WTCG building now behind Hanover West Peachtree

http://www.atlantatimemachine.com/downtown/waga1.htm

http://www.atlantatimemachine.com/downtown/waga3.htm

Online Marketing brochure of property

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1018...a-GA/14092708/

No mention of price
Biggest thing I want for this property is to expand the welcoming street presence along Spring further north. We need to stop the misery of the detached parking decks and parking lots to the north.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2019, 9:49 PM

No posts since July 3rd,,,WTF???

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations