HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 3:11 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Online is doing more business than, the precursor, catalog could ever dream. It's coming at a cost. Delivery costs and/or times have increased and quality has gone way down. So much of it is now those independent dealers selling cheap goods like in the last gasp power centre malls.
Online is big, but I'm not sure it is going to take over like many have proclaimed.

There's just too much people need on a daily basis that doesn't really jive with the online shopping experience.

One might see a transition to a hybrid model. Instead of the huge warehouse-style grocery stores we have now, they might be half the size - a section for self-serve shopping with the typical layout and a section that's basically a real warehouse that pickers do the work and prepackage everything.

I've always kind of wondered what the most efficient model is for retail, to be honest. For products that move in volume or require interaction before purchase (think clothes), self-serve works best. For more esoteric purchases, online seems to be the ticket.

I think that's where the dichotomy will go. The big-box/general merchandise stores are taking over what one needs day-to-day and online will take over the other stuff.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You should try Librairie du Soleil which has locations in the Byward Market in Ottawa and on St-Raymond in Gatineau.

I generally went to Réflexion but I did go to Soleil for kids' school books occasionally and it seemed similar to me.

You can also try Archambault and Renaud-Bray at Les Promenades for magazines. Costco in Gatineau also has some that you won't necessarily find in a dépanneur or a supermarket.
I have tried almost all of those places, but I couldn’t find a lot of the magazines I’ve been buying for the last 10-12 years. They used to be available in many bookstores but now they are nearly impossible to find anywhere in Ottawa and Gatineau. It may have to do with people going paperless and importing them doesn’t make as much sense as before. Archambault used to have a large magazine section but I think now it is gone, or a least significantly smaller.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 5:45 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
I have tried almost all of those places, but I couldn’t find a lot of the magazines I’ve been buying for the last 10-12 years. They used to be available in many bookstores but now they are nearly impossible to find anywhere in Ottawa and Gatineau. It may have to do with people going paperless and importing them doesn’t make as much sense as before.
Yeah, I understand. Réflexion (there was one on Maloney near Labrosse as well, but it closed last year) was always my go-to for magazines when I was looking for them. They had everything.

I think it's probably part of a general trend away from these types of products.

BTW, it might be before your time but Ottawa used to have a Maison de la Presse Internationale on Bank near the corner of Queen.

I used to love that place!

There was also Mags and Fags on Elgin which was more anglo oriented but IIRC also stocked quite a few magazines in French. It's been closed for a while as well.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yeah, I understand. Réflexion (there was one on Maloney near Labrosse as well, but it closed last year) was always my go-to for magazines when I was looking for them. They had everything.

I think it's probably part of a general trend away from these types of products.

BTW, it might be before your time but Ottawa used to have a Maison de la Presse Internationale on Bank near the corner of Queen.

I used to love that place!

There was also Mags and Fags on Elgin which was more anglo oriented but IIRC also stocked quite a few magazines in French. It's been closed for a while as well.
Maison de la Presse Internationale was my go to place in Montreal. I do remember the one on Bank when I spent a few months in the region back in 2012.

I am having a hard time adjusting to the American equivalents of the magazines imported from France I am used to read. The quality is simply not comparable, especially history magazines.

I may have to subscribe to all of the magazines I enjoy reading if I want to keep reading all of them, but I used to go to those bookstores to look around before deciding what to buy, and I would occasionally swap my "regular" magazine with another one if the content of the latter was more interesting on a given month. Sadly it looks like those times are almost over.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 6:09 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Maison de la Presse Internationale was my go to place in Montreal. I do remember the one on Bank when I spent a few months in the region back in 2012.

I am having a hard time adjusting to the American equivalents of the magazines imported from France I am used to read. The quality is simply not comparable, especially history magazines.

I may have to subscribe to all of the magazines I enjoy reading if I want to keep reading all of them, but I used to go to those bookstores to look around before deciding what to buy, and I would occasionally swap my "regular" magazine with another one if the content of the latter was more interesting on a given month. Sadly it looks like those times are almost over.
Yes, browsing (bouquiner) for magazines is or was great!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
^especially since the Costco moved there relatively recently, from another location in Gatineau.

Most Costcos attached to malls were legacy Costcos from the Price Club days. In Quebec, many "Club Price" outlets had taken over defunct Woolco's.

Anybody remember the old Woolco in Kirkland (Quebec)?

internationalmetropolis.

Of course they recruited Alan Thicke for their ads:
Video Link
Why was everyone so obsessed with Thicke for a while? How did he manage to host the Skydome opening despite being horrible at singing ?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 8:02 PM
The Vomit Bag.

There is something unctuous about Alan Thicke that gets my back up. The same thing that I feel regarding Ben Mulroney. Can't stand either one.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 2:33 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanford1 View Post
Why was everyone so obsessed with Thicke for a while? How did he manage to host the Skydome opening despite being horrible at singing ?
I am sure you will love this video:
Video Link

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 3:30 AM

Growing Pains was huge in the late 80s/early 90s when the Skydome opened, he would've been a draw for sure (esp. being Canadian too)

Old Posted Jul 3, 2021, 6:48 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2021, 6:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2021, 6:56 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Gone and mostly forgotten?
Video Link

Old Posted Jul 3, 2021, 6:58 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Petit centre d'achat complètement mort
Video Link

Old Posted Jul 3, 2021, 7:00 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2021, 7:15 PM

Sheridan Mall, soon to be known as Sherwood Village, is surprisingly being redeveloped. I was shocked to see this new entrance that is nearly complete. My wife works down the road from there. I really thought it would be levelled but save the grocery store and then do all condos and a park. Still will be condos but they're saving the mall.

To the north and east are well off and very rich people, but this place is beneath them. To the south is apartments, which is where you expert their patronage to come from.

https://www.insauga.com/mississaugas...t-plans-simmer

Old Posted Jul 3, 2021, 8:31 PM

Quote:
they still have Laura Secord stores? the only place you can get them here is at Winners. I used to like the mint things.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2021, 2:18 AM
The Vomit Bag.

A sure sign of a dying mall is a former fountain that has run dry.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2021, 2:20 AM
The Vomit Bag.

I reckon Covid will have hastened the deaths of many dying malls.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2021, 3:00 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Dying malls are actually a valuable land resource opportunity for better use, probably a thought not lost to many.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2021, 4:46 AM
Fake News

Quote:
There is something unctuous about Alan Thicke that gets my back up. The same thing that I feel regarding Ben Mulroney. Can't stand either one.
Same with Michael Buble. There is an unctuousness about many male Canadian celebrities I find. Especially the ones that try too hard to be gentlemanly. They come across as fake and condescending and arrogant. I went to highschool with a guy like that too. Too much politeness and positivity can come across as disingenuous.

BM onctueux is still the top of the heap.

Edit: Robin Thicke also lays it on pretty thick.

Last edited by O-tacular; Jul 4, 2021 at 5:45 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada