HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ It's kind of cool that it's still going, I can't imagine that there's much of an anglo population in Quebec City? Is it just a weekly paper now?
It’s a Montreal newspaper.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 2:29 PM

Eastern end of LeBreton Flats 2020 vs 1963, just before mass demolition. The modern apartment building seen in the old photograph is roughly in the middle of the modern image.

https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/ad...-business-ones

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 2:43 PM

The Queen Juliana apartment building is older than I realized. Late 1950s?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
The Queen Juliana apartment building is older than I realized. Late 1950s?
According to Urbsite, 61-63. According to Wikipedia, 1962. It represented quite a shift for Ottawa.

http://urbsite.blogspot.com/2016/09/...partments.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architecture_of_Ottawa

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 3:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
It’s a Montreal newspaper.
I think there is some confusion on the part of some about these newspapers.

The Quebec Chronicle-Telegraph in Quebec City was first published as the Quebec Gazette. It is technically the same company and newspaper and so is considered the oldest newspaper in North America that is still being published today. I think there were newspapers published earlier in places like Halifax and Boston but they are no longer active. It is a weekly paper.

The Montreal Gazette is a completely different newspaper. It was originally a French paper called the Gazette littéraire de Montréal. Eventually it switched over to English. It is a daily paper.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 3:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Eastern end of LeBreton Flats 2020 vs 1963, just before mass demolition. The modern apartment building seen in the old photograph is roughly in the middle of the modern image.

https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/ad...-business-ones
Ah, the 1960s. Back in the good old days when Mom just would tell the kids to "go outside and play in the streets." I remember it well (and somewhat fondly).

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think there is some confusion on the part of some about these newspapers.

The Quebec Chronicle-Telegraph in Quebec City was first published as the Quebec Gazette. It is technically the same company and newspaper and so is considered the oldest newspaper in North America that is still being published today. I think there were newspapers published earlier in places like Halifax and Boston but they are no longer active. It is a weekly paper.

The Montreal Gazette is a completely different newspaper. It was originally a French paper called the Gazette littéraire de Montréal. Eventually it switched over to English. It is a daily paper.
Yeah, I was thinking of the Quebec Chronicle-Telegraph when I wrote my last post. I assume it's more of a weekly community paper than a source of hard news for the Quebec anglo community?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 6:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Yeah, I was thinking of the Quebec Chronicle-Telegraph when I wrote my last post. I assume it's more of a weekly community paper than a source of hard news for the Quebec anglo community?
Yeah, if you are an anglo in Quebec City your go-to newspaper in English will be the Montreal Gazette.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 4:06 AM
菠蘿油

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yeah, if you are an anglo in Quebec City your go-to newspaper in English will be the Montreal Gazette.
At the same time, there are so few Quebec City anglophones who are unilingual that even then, the Gazette might not be their main source of news. All of the born-and-raised Quebec City anglos I know speak French so well they can pass for francophones.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 4:16 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I hate the way Bud and Coors light are listed as "domestic" beers in the lousy menus of Boston Pizza, Montana's, Swiss Chalet, etc. They are American beers (well, only if one uses the term "beer" very loosely to allow for steer piss beer made from rice). Make no mistake, imbev is marginalizing true Canadian mainstream beer brands like Labatt Blue. Perhaps not a great loss, but I decry the creeping Americanization of Canada.
If it's produced in Canada, it's domestic. The other option is imported and since they make it in Canada, it makes no sense to list it as anything other than domestic. I don't disagree with the thrust of your post, however. You seem to have had some sort of rendering issue with that post as it crossed out "steer piss". Not sure why as I believe that that is the technical term for that stuff according to Canadian government guidelines.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
At the same time, there are so few Quebec City anglophones who are unilingual that even then, the Gazette might not be their main source of news. All of the born-and-raised Quebec City anglos I know speak French so well they can pass for francophones.
The demand must be there. I remember doing one of those federal government sponsored official language summer programs in Trois Rivieres back in the mid 90s. Being the nerd that I am I would stop by a shop on Des Recollets after class to get a newspaper. Every day there were a handful of copies of the Montreal Gazette sitting there next to the Nouvelliste, J de M, La Presse, etc. and I'd buy one.

Deep in the Trois Rivieres suburbs someone other than me must have also been buying English newspapers, so you would think the same thing must be happening in Quebec.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 1:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
The demand must be there. I remember doing one of those federal government sponsored official language summer programs in Trois Rivieres back in the mid 90s. Being the nerd that I am I would stop by a shop on Des Recollets after class to get a newspaper. Every day there were a handful of copies of the Montreal Gazette sitting there next to the Nouvelliste, J de M, La Presse, etc. and I'd buy one.

Deep in the Trois Rivieres suburbs someone other than me must have also been buying English newspapers, so you would think the same thing must be happening in Quebec.
I'd agree. The Gazette might not be in every single dépanneur in the province, but it's not hard to find at all, even in the most francophone regions. (The one exception in my region of the Outaouais, where if they have English papers it's generally the Ottawa Citizen or Ottawa Sun they have. Though even so, the Montreal Gazette isn't that hard to find either. Any place that has more than a token selection of newspapers will have it.)

Note that in terms of "market", there is a smallish segment of the francophone population in Quebec that consumes anglo news media. Though it is more as an add-on to catch the pulse of the "other side" as opposed to their main go-to...

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Ah, the 1960s. Back in the good old days when Mom just would tell the kids to "go outside and play in the streets." I remember it well (and somewhat fondly).
We would be outside for hours. We hiked down nearby train tracks (!) or over to the golf course to look for balls. There were so many of us that we could organize team games/sports in the street where we grew up (CAR! ). Good times and, amazingly, we survived (although with the scars to tell the tale). I do not envy today's anxious, over-programmed children.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 1:39 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
If it's produced in Canada, it's domestic. The other option is imported and since they make it in Canada, it makes no sense to list it as anything other than domestic. I don't disagree with the thrust of your post, however. You seem to have had some sort of rendering issue with that post as it crossed out "steer piss". Not sure why as I believe that that is the technical term for that stuff according to Canadian government guidelines.
I do believe that Beck's and Stella are also brewed in Canada by Labatt (InBev) but never are they categorized as domestic. Also, Sapporo is brewed in Guelph by Sleeman's.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 1:40 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Once upon a time QC was 40% Anglophone.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 3:22 PM
Montérégien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Once upon a time QC was 40% Anglophone.
Yeah. In 1844. Of course QC was ~38% anglo... 85 years after the anglos threw 15 000 bombs over the small town, after Wolfe ordered his friends Goreham and Scott to destroy every village from Lotbinière to La Pocatière, from Neuville to Baie-Saint-Paul, to burn every crop, to burn every barn and every house, forcing the remaining Canadiens to live in the woods for 2 years.... after QC officially underwent a massive immigration program for 3 decades, bringing at least 170k Scottish settlers to the port from 1815 to 1870... Of course QC was ~38% anglo. Good old days

At the last census, there were 1350 unilingual anglophones in QC city.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 4:02 PM

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 4:17 PM

Wow. Vancouver was still a bit of a gritty port town at its edges back then, but you could see the transition was already well underway.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 6:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laceoflight View Post
Yeah. In 1844. Of course QC was ~38% anglo... 85 years after the anglos threw 15 000 bombs over the small town, after Wolfe ordered his friends Goreham and Scott to destroy every village from Lotbinière to La Pocatière, from Neuville to Baie-Saint-Paul, to burn every crop, to burn every barn and every house, forcing the remaining Canadiens to live in the woods for 2 years.... after QC officially underwent a massive immigration program for 3 decades, bringing at least 170k Scottish settlers to the port from 1815 to 1870... Of course QC was ~38% anglo. Good old days

At the last census, there were 1350 unilingual anglophones in QC city.
Yes, I know (I am from Quebec [Montreal]).

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 9:45 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

In a city as old, beautiful, and (in its time) significant as St. John's, going through old photos tends to be impressive - the city usually looks a little grander than you'd expect, and all of the public buildings are finer than today. But every now and then, whether it's the Central Slum or whatever else, one photo snaps you back to reality. Via FB:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada