HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Cunard in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 10:42 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The Design Review Committee had a preliminary presentation on the Cunard Block development today. None of the material is up yet; maybe there will be some new renderings?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 12:53 PM

AllNS has the following quote from Jim Spatz:

"If you went on one of those sites where people comment on the high rises about to come to Halifax... people were saying that they liked this, but that it looked too much like a cruise ship. So we went back at it, and we de-cruise shipped it I think."

EDIT: And a start date for late next year.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
AllNS has the following quote from Jim Spatz:

"If you went on one of those sites where people comment on the high rises about to come to Halifax... people were saying that they liked this, but that it looked too much like a cruise ship. So we went back at it, and we de-cruise shipped it I think."

EDIT: And a start date for late next year.
That was the thing I like MOST about this project. Oh well.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 5:41 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 7:14 PM

Can't say I like it. Was there no parking in the earlier versions or did they hide it better?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScovaNotian View Post
Can't say I like it. Was there no parking in the earlier versions or did they hide it better?
Yeah that's odd with what appears to be a large streetside parking lot. I'd much prefer the entire development pushed back to form a nice streetwall on Lwr Water and creating open space/plaza on the boardwalk waterside.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 9:15 PM

It's the third and fourth floors I meant. At least on the water side I'd have hoped for windows.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 11:57 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Yeah that's odd with what appears to be a large streetside parking lot. I'd much prefer the entire development pushed back to form a nice streetwall on Lwr Water and creating open space/plaza on the boardwalk waterside.
I think this is just another misleading rendering error.

There is a site plan included on the planning page and it shows that the building goes up to the sidewalk. There is some open space on the water side that will be public. There does not appear to be any surface parking.

The solid 3rd/4th floor cladding will be porcelain tile according to the plans.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 1:02 AM
Halifax Promoter!

They must be waiting to finish their projects on South Park St / Old YMCA/CBC building before starting this one... I like this one!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 2:01 PM

Comparing the renderings on pages 14 and 15 of this thread, the podium doesn't connect to the rest of the building at all anymore. The two floors of parking make the podium top heavy. And the entire Lower Water side is parking as well, isn't it? Was there underground parking in the earlier version that has been scrapped now?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 6:49 PM
life in the present

Agree with many here, the solution to concealing the parking is resulting in a really odd looking podium.

As this podium is highly visible, both from the Harbour and the Harbour Walk, I feel there needs to be a far better approach to this, looks terrible IMO.

That said, the tower looks better than previous renderings, glad the wavy balconies are gone, that was a fleeting trend here in Vancouver a couple of years ago. This will age far better.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 8:17 PM

^ I agree that the older round of renderings reminded me a lot of the style of architecture I'd associate with the Downtown Vancouver waterfront. This angularity of this one would seem to go well with Queen's Marque and the NSP HQ (along with the Alexander and Fylnn Flats, etc) and is and interesting counterpoint to the West Coast aesthetic.

I think this one does a fairly good job of addressing parking given the site constraints (assuming the placement of the building within the rendering is a bit off). Choice of materials will be important. Maybe something matching the building penthouse, and/or tasteful use of lighting '/ signage. The materials/design for the parking suggested by this latest rendering look alright but nothing special.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 8:59 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
^ I agree that the older round of renderings reminded me a lot of the style of architecture I'd associate with the Downtown Vancouver waterfront. This angularity of this one would seem to go well with Queen's Marque and the NSP HQ (along with the Alexander and Fylnn Flats, etc) and is and interesting counterpoint to the West Coast aesthetic.
I like how Halifax has a different style from Vancouver. Vancouver architecture can be very "airy", and this feature has its pluses and minuses. The narrow towers and low podiums in Vancouver tend to let more light and they are much taller but they can look pincushion-like in a bad way sometimes and don't always have much of a city feel. I feel like downtown Vancouver is often designed with a blended focus on outdoorsiness and nature blended with commercial convenience. These qualities are great and to some people they are the most important characteristics but they're not all there is to cities.

Queen's Marque looks like a Halifax-style building that would not be built in Vancouver yet has its own architectural merit.

I don't mind the look of the blank lower levels on this Cunard design and I think it might look good since it'll be done in porcelain tile and have some visual interest in the form of those horizontal lines.

I also feel like this is a "linchpin" development that will pull the stretch from Bishop's Landing and the Keith's brewery over to the seaport into one coherent, interesting blob of stuff. It will still unfortunately be a bit detached from Hollis Street; fixing that would take more good development.

What I don't like about recent Halifax (and Vancouver, Toronto, and many others) buildings is how grey most of them are.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
What I don't like about recent Halifax (and Vancouver, Toronto, and many others) buildings is how grey most of them are.
Beats red brick though.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 12:09 PM
Dreamer

Looking at the proposed floorplans, it appears levels 3 and 4 will be parking. Seems to be a good compromise considering the proximity to the harbour and hesitance to dig multiple stories below grade. Two floors of commercial space along the boardwalk will certainly be welcome and a nice compliment to the existing development in the area.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 12:54 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I like the brick/concrete section that separates the retail/living areas. I think that will give the pedestrians around it a smaller street feel.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ha1i View Post
Looking at the proposed floorplans, it appears levels 3 and 4 will be parking. Seems to be a good compromise considering the proximity to the harbour and hesitance to dig multiple stories below grade. Two floors of commercial space along the boardwalk will certainly be welcome and a nice compliment to the existing development in the area.
The project architect was quoted as saying that parking requirements could drop drastically in coming years with self-driving cars, so the parking is above-ground so it can be converted to other uses in the future. I wonder whether this was indeed part of their decision-making, or just post hoc justification. Interesting that architects and developers are starting to think about it though.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
The project architect was quoted as saying that parking requirements could drop drastically in coming years with self-driving cars [...]
So those don't need to be parked?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 1:09 PM

Quote:
They don't need to park on site and their utilization is much higher so they won't need to be parked as long.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 3:23 PM

Quote:
I think the theory is that when you're not using the car, it's not parked... someone else is using it. So, number of cars/person theoretically drops.

It's a lot of forecasting to do.

If it were me developing, I'd be more concerned about the safety from harbour water ingress of structures below grade in this area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth