HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 5, 2005, 5:45 PM
samsonyuen

miketoronto, I agree with you. You can often find discounts at almost any store. I don't really see what the point of the last thread was, though. I also don't know how you see Target (sorry, TARGET), as irregular, (or other stores as regular).

The Bay and David Bitton/Buffalo are chains too and populate many malls too (one chain being American, and one Canadian). On the flip side, Target is popular because it mixes in the trendy styles with Wal-Mart style thrift. Give it another chance if you pop on over to Western New York or Metro Detroit next time. I'm sure you'll find a good sale.

On a similar note, someone recently told me they saw on CBC that the big Chapters at 110 Bloor (between Bay and Avenue) will soon become a Winners. What a shame...

Old Posted Jun 5, 2005, 5:50 PM

I find that hard to believe. I don't think a WINNERS will gon on Bloor Street. They have their huge one two blocks down at College.

I shop at the WORLDS BIGGEST BOOKSTORE at Yonge and DUNDAS. Has even more books then CHAPTERS on Bloor.
And was the first big book store, before it became a trend.

I know David Bitton is a chain. But the downtown store is pretty unique has way more selection then a suburban store.
So I don't mind shopping in chains in downtowns. I like to shop at both. Chains and local stores.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2005, 7:52 PM
Forum officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto
I find that hard to believe. I don't think a WINNERS will gon on Bloor Street. They have their huge one two blocks down at College.
Yes, Winners (ie WINNERS) is coming to Yorkville where Chapters is/was. It's going to be pretty big!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2005, 8:38 PM
samsonyuen

Chapters Indigo's been trying to sell that site ever since they merged. It's got to be pretty expensive, being on such a visible site. I think an Apple flagship store would be nicer there, or something less common. Winners at College Park is nice, but it's on Yonge St. Bloor-Yorkville is supposed to be swanky fancy schmancy. What a disappointment. I hope the Starbucks stays though.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2005, 9:33 PM

The hell's with the capital letters in this thread? If it takes a takeover by Target for Zellers to clean up their messy and poorly run stores, then bring it on.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2005, 6:50 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden West
I like the music in the new Zellers commercials:
"The Littlest Birds" by the the Be Good Tanyas.
"When The Night Feels My Song" by the Bedouin Sound Clash
So they're trying to improve their image. Maybe they should start with the crap they sell. Har!

Hey, I was wondering what those catchy songs were.. thanks HOLDEN.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2005, 9:34 PM
samsonyuen

I wonder where in Toronto they'll be? How many Ronas are in GTA now (hmm...)?
Monday, June 6, 2005 Updated at 4:32 PM EDT
Globe and Mail Update

Lowe's Companies Inc. confirmed Monday it plans to open its first Canadian store in 2007, vying with Rona Inc. and Home Depot Inc. in the Canadian home-improvement market.

The Mooresville, N.C. company said it will open as many as 10 stores in Toronto, its first venture outside the U.S.

The Globe and Mail reported last week that Lowe's was believed to be discussing deals for superstore sites and that an announcement was expected today.

The news comes as Canada has seen a multi-year housing and construction boom, spurred by low interest rates and easy credit — a pace of growth some economists say won't last. On the company's conference call, executives said Lowe's growth isn't traditionally affected by changes in the housing market.

“The Canadian economy is vibrant, stable, and our evaluation of the market indicates Lowe's can deliver value and provide meaningful choices to the Canadian consumer,” Greg Bridgeford, executive vice-president of business development, on the call. In the past year, the company has recorded more than 400,000 transactions from Canadians at Lowe's U.S. stores, he added.

The 59-year-old company plans to open six to 10 stores in Toronto in 2007, creating about 1,700 jobs. Each store will cost about $20-million and will be, on average, about 15,000 square metres.

Lowe's aims to differentiate itself from competitors primarily through high-quality customer service, the company said on the conference call.

Long-term plans include the potential for as many as 100 stores in Canada “as the company continues to evaluate additional opportunities for future expansion,” Lowe's said.

Asked about whether the company has been in partnership talks with Rona, an official said that its “primary and traditional way of expansion is through organic expansion.”

Lowe's will establish an office in the Toronto area later this year. It named Doug Robinson president of Canadian operations. Mr. Robinson, 45, joined Lowe's in 2003 after more than 20 years experience in the home improvement industry, the company said.

Lowe's had 2004 sales of $36.5-billion (U.S.) and operates more than 1,100 home-improvement stores in 48 states. It is the second-largest home-improvement retailer in the world.

Lowe's shares rose 97 cents to $57.93 in New York and Home Deport rose 23 cents to $39.95. In Toronto, Rona shares fell $1.83 (Canadian) or 7.1 per cent to $23.85.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2005, 12:22 AM

Yea...more big box stores

Old Posted Jun 7, 2005, 2:03 AM
Urbis Maximus

/\ hey, that's the reality of today......and has been for over 50 years in North America.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2005, 2:08 AM
Only from Edmonton

Well, in term of Lowe's, they have some competition from pre-existing hardware stores.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2005, 6:59 AM

Lowe's will eat Rona; in fact look at the original Lowe's stores and the original Rona stores and how they've both evolved into majority superstores.

Lowe's, eat Rona.

THEN:

Target, eat Zellers.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2005, 2:47 PM
Mooderator

that's one hungry bunch of stores.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2005, 3:14 PM
Only from Edmonton

You can tell they're hungry because they're in caps:

TARGET will eat ZELLERS and then HOLT RENFREW will use nuclear cologne to take out MACY'S.

On the home renovation front, LOWE'S will fake with a garden centre and RONA will counter with a nail gun, all while HOME DEPOT and CANADIAN TIRE play chess down by the riverside.

Oh, and don't forget TIM HORTON'S!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2005, 3:17 PM
Daddy Likes it Dirty!

I make it my duty not to buy from Home Depot. I'll just add lowes to that list.

No offense to any americans, it's just that I've got to draw the line somewhere. If none of us support canadian owned stores, Canada will just become the 51st state.(don't you find that it already is starting to look like the 51st state?)
Montreal Metro: 3.666 million

Old Posted Jun 7, 2005, 3:36 PM
Mooderator

Didn't you used to work at Home depot one time, Habs?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2005, 3:52 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan
I make it my duty not to buy from Home Depot. I'll just add lowes to that list.

No offense to any americans, it's just that I've got to draw the line somewhere. If none of us support canadian owned stores, Canada will just become the 51st state.(don't you find that it already is starting to look like the 51st state?)
Personally, I avoid shopping at Walmart for anything.

This has more to do with their business practices than anything else, but I definitely try to shop local first, Canadian second, and so on.

I have noticed that being a "patriotic" shopper on a local or national scale is certainly not important to the vast majority of Winnipeggers.

It's all about price here. And coupons...

Old Posted Jun 7, 2005, 5:11 PM
Attention, chien méchant

Wasn't Target trying to buy the Hudson Bay Corporation completely and not just Zeller's?

HBC is the last canadian owned stores... I can't believe some of you wishes the transaction is done just to get a Target in your backward. So narrow minded... save a dollar on a pair of short and kill the canadian market.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2005, 5:33 PM
samsonyuen

There were rumors that Target wanted HBC, and the Globe and Mail actually reported that it was coming "this week". It never did happen. Roots is still Canadian, and the Forzani empire (Sportchek, Sport Mart, Atmosphere, Coast Mountain Sports, Sports Experts, etc.). So is Chapters, though I guess the number of chains is dwindling. But is it worth it to buy something just because it's a Canadian company? I mean, most of the goods sold aren't made in Canada, should that matter as well? Also, an American company, or a Swedish company employs Canadians, thereby pumping money back in. With globalization, does it really matter all that much?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2005, 5:44 PM
Attention, chien méchant

I'll have to check that, from what I had read, HBC was the last one. It was in that Globe and Mail article.

Like Drew, I try to shop local, then from Quebec and then Canadian, avoiding big chains.

Some might find it old thinking but I'm for a bit of protectionnism in economy and if our governement can't do anything about it anymore with the treaty he sgned, I feel it is my responsability to shop with conscience so that in 20 years, we might still have a bit of canadian industry.

I know alone it won't change anything but if we all decide to accept to pay a bit more for what we buy and buy local, we can change things.

Damn, I though my english was good but it's hard to explain myself in an intelligent way in a foreign language ! Sorry for all the mispelling and bad sentences.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2005, 5:55 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by floralieca
I know alone it won't change anything but if we all decide to accept to pay a bit more for what we buy and buy local, we can change things.
Exactly. This kind of patriotic shopping is prominent in the U.S.A. and has done wonders for their companies, and kept foreign ownership of the market share in check (along with all the protectionalist policies...)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada