HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 12:21 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
Cineplex loses $178.4M in first quarter

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/cine...ures-1.5005019
Basically, COVID has ended the movie theatre business for the time being.

Even if movie theatres opened again, it's not as if there's anything for them to show. New releases aren't being released.

I'd say the movie business has been one of the hardest hit.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Basically, COVID has ended the movie theatre business for the time being.

Even if movie theatres opened again, it's not as if there's anything for them to show. New releases aren't being released.

I'd say the movie business has been one of the hardest hit.
So long as Top Gun isn't delayed AGAIN lol.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 6:41 PM

Hollywood isn't releasing anything too soon. But the theatre said that there will be $5 movies of older stuff, I guess the stuff that was in theatres at the closure.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 8:33 PM

Our movieplex will be opening up shortly. Don't know what they're gonna show tho. Plus we have "Open Air Cinema" or something like that setting up around here.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Our movieplex will be opening up shortly. Don't know what they're gonna show tho. Plus we have "Open Air Cinema" or something like that setting up around here.
Zibi and Lansdowne Park have both created drive-in nights. Lansdowne has classic movies while Zibi will be hosting drive-in concerts in partnership with the NAC and the organizers of Bluesfest. Bluesfest is the Ottawa area's biggest music festival, usually attracting around 300,000 over 10 nights.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post

Don't understand why they don't release some of these new movies to rent for $20 on video on demand. That would be the approximate equivalent of two movie tickets.

I think there has been some similar experimentation with this in recent years where movies are available to rent at a higher price relatively quickly after it's been the theatres.

I guess the economics of forgoing the box office just don't work for bigger budget movies..

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 6:23 AM

they have been doing that. Steve Carrel's new movie and Pete Davidsons new movie both went directly to streaming on demand.

They are 19.99

IRRESISTIBLE
Where to watch it: Rent on digital $19.99 on Amazon and Apple

King of Staten Island is 19.99 on youtube.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
they have been doing that. Steve Carrel's new movie and Pete Davidsons new movie both went directly to streaming on demand.

They are 19.99

IRRESISTIBLE
Where to watch it: Rent on digital $19.99 on Amazon and Apple

King of Staten Island is 19.99 on youtube.
Can't imagine either those movie had very large budgets though..so maybe it's easier for them to forgo box office.

Tenet's budget looks to be around ~$200M.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 3:01 AM

I think Chris Nolans movie got pushed back to august now. If things keep going as badly as they are in the states I wonder how Hollywood will react.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
Don't understand why they don't release some of these new movies to rent for $20 on video on demand. That would be the approximate equivalent of two movie tickets.

I think there has been some similar experimentation with this in recent years where movies are available to rent at a higher price relatively quickly after it's been the theatres.

I guess the economics of forgoing the box office just don't work for bigger budget movies..
I think the other factor as well, is that the studios aren't MAKING anything new at the moment. So one way or another there is going to be a gap in movies coming up. By delaying the major releases they have in the can now, they can use the existing films to cover the gap when production restarts. Especially since the general public may not completely understand why a future gap might exist when "everything else is open and back to normal" sometime in the future.

There's going to be a trickle of new movies regardless once production restarts, but by making sure the 'gap' in production matches the gap from theatre closures and when everything else is closed, it means less to explain to the stupid public.

In other theatre news, the Cineplex/Cineworld deal is the deal that keeps giving lawsuits it seems.

Both sides have filed lawsuits over the failed deal seeking various damages. I suspect the only ones to get money out of this will be the lawyers in the end.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 5:21 AM

David's Tea will be closing many if not almost all of its locations. The people running the company think that they'll be okay with just online sales.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 11:33 AM

I have noticed in recent weeks that David's Tea is on a lot of grocery store shelves, mainly loblaw branded stores. It's very expensive though like $9.99 + up per box.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 2:44 PM

Holt Renfrew Ogilvy Opens All 6 Retail Levels in Montreal

July 06, 2020

The massive Holt Renfrew Ogilvy store in downtown Montreal is nearly finished, with all six levels now open to the public. The 250,000-square-foot store is one of the largest multi-brand luxury stores in North America and is the largest showcase of luxury brands in the Montreal market.

The store’s second, third, and fifth floors have opened, showcasing a range of women’s fashions, shopping suites and an entertainment facility. The street level luxury hall is also nearly completed with 11 luxury brands occupying leased concession boutiques. In the spring of 2019, a basement level cosmetics hall opened to the public, as did the menswear level on the fourth floor which carries many of the world’s biggest designer brands.

(rest of the article with numerous photos)

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 5:24 PM

Brook Brothers is filing for Bankrupcy.

Bed Bath and Beyond is closing 20% of their retail stores in NA..

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Brook Brothers is filing for Bankrupcy.

Bed Bath and Beyond is closing 20% of their retail stores in NA..
Bed Bath and Beyond doesn't really offer a whole lot that you can't get elsewhere.

I once bought a French press there. Turned out I could've gotten one for a quarter of the price at IKEA.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 10:17 PM

yea they have been struggling for a while, the stores are a mess and offer nothing unique.

this video gives good insight

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 5:24 PM

more empty stores coming to a mall near you

Ann Taylor, Loft and Justice stores in Canada to close
By Staff The Canadian Press
Posted July 23, 2020

MAHWAH, N.J. — The parent company of Ann Taylor, Loft and Justice says it will close all of its clothing stores in Canada.

The closures are part of the Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings and restructuring the Mahwah, New Jersey-based Ascena Retail Group Inc. has begun in the wake of COVID-19.

According to their websites, there are four Ann Taylor, nine Loft and 37 Justice stores in Canada.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7209625/a...ustice-canada/

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 9:31 PM

As usual, Montreal is late in the chains game, but at least we go big when we go.

Opening date for Montreal's UNIQLO location has been announced

UNIQLO, the Japanese apparel retailer, is expanding into Montreal, opening its first Quebec location at the Eaton Centre this fall.

In a news release shared with Daily Hive, UNIQLO says it will open its doors at its newly renovated 32,000-sq-ft spot on October 23, 2020.

The Montreal location will be the largest UNIQLO store in Canada and will offer the brand’s full range of men’s, women’s, kids, and baby items.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 5:08 PM
Community Guy

Who else has these new urban blights popping up? Ghost kitchens that claim to be 'temporary' are not and how the F are we permitting these along urban streets/aves that should have buildings and street wall??!?!?!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 5:16 PM

Is that any different than chip wagons and hot dog carts? We have a bar that has a souvaki trailer and a rib trailer (the kind with the big ass signs above that are at rib festivals all summer long) sitting in it's parking lot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada