HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 4:41 AM

B.C. retail will grow second fastest in Canada: report

B.C. retail sales are set to grow faster than every other Canadian province in 2010, except Nova Scotia, according to a study released Friday by Toronto-based KubasPrimedia.

B.C. will then top the country for retail sales growth in 2011, according to the research organization.

KubasPrimedia expects B.C. retail sales to grow 6% to $58.5 billion in 2010. Metro Vancouver retail sales are expected to get an even bigger 6.2% boost to 33.1 billion. Nationwide, retail sales are expected to grow 4.8% to $435.4 billion in 2010.

Retail sales growth in B.C. will slow slightly, to 5.9%, in 2011, the research organization projects. Ontario is the only other province expected to have retail sales grow more than 5% in 2011.

“Nothing in the outlook at this point indicates a significant recovery in 2011,” the report warns.

Retail sales growth took a break in 2009, when every province except New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland saw declines.

http://www.bivinteractive.com/index....3431&Itemid=32

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 4:18 AM

we have a handful of these stores around similiar to Dollar Giant which was recently bought out by Dollar tree... hopefully see some of the other so-called dollar stores shut down when they sell $30 items they ain't a Dollar store

Dollarama targets West as it accelerates discount network expansion in 2011

Ross Marowits, The Canadian Press, On Wednesday December 8, 2010, 1:36 pm EST

By Ross Marowits, The Canadian Press

MONTREAL - Dollarama will accelerate store expansion next year, particularly in Western Canada as the Montreal-based retailer continues to build the leading Canadian discount chain.

The company plans to add 50 stores in 2011 with one-third to 40 per cent of the growth being focused in Western Canada. That follows some 45 stores added in the past year, mostly in Ontario.

"With the penetration rate we have in Quebec, 900 to 1,000 stores doesn't seem to be a problem," Larry Rossy, CEO of the chain which currently has more than 600 stores, said Wednesday during a conference call.

However, Rossy wouldn't say if that is the ultimate size the chain hopes to one day run. Much depends on available locations and market opportunities.

But Dollarama (TSXOL) said its business model, which limits prices to $2, means it can't expand as much as some U.S. players which offer a broader range of products valued up to $20.

Much of the growth out West will be in free-standing big box locations. While it will add some larger stores elsewhere, the decision about size will be made on a store-by-store basis, Rossy said.

Dollarama said its profits surged to $31.3 million in the third-quarter as the discount retailer's sales increased 13.7 per cent and expenses were tightened.

Diluted earnings per share were 42 cents for the three-month period ended Oct. 31, compared with a profit of $1.1 million or two cents per share a year earlier.

Sales rose to $355.7 million from $312.8 million.

Analysts had forecast Dollarama would earn 38 cents per share on $351 million in revenues.

Much of the increase in revenue was the result of 45 new store openings over the past year and the sale of higher-priced items. It also benefited from lower interest expenses from reducing its debt and an eight per cent increase in sales at stores open at least a year.

The comparable stores sales growth was the result of a 1.6 per cent increase in the number of transactions and a 6.3 per cent increase in the average transaction size.

The pace of the same-store sales growth should weaken but will remain between three and eight per cent going forward, Rossy told analysts.

Dollarama enjoyed very strong sales growth last Christmas amid perfect shopping weather conditions. Same-store sales grew by 17 per cent last December.

"We can get knocked around pretty badly with weather, which we have been in the last week or so. And when you're talking weather in December that's big dollars."

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/Dol...29617.html?x=0

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 8:16 PM

Out of any Dollar Store Dollarama is my favorite! I hope it lasts.. many dollar stores come and go

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 4:40 AM

why is target taking so long

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 5:50 PM

Marshalls department store announces locations across Canada

By Marc Weisblott | Daily Brew – Wed, 15 Dec 3:29 PM EST

Popular U.S. discount department store Marshalls formally announced its expansion to Canada this week. The move is part of a trend that finds more American retailers moving north in the aftermath of the recession.

Six locations of Marshalls will open in Canada next year, including four planned for the Toronto area, one of which is notable for its conversion from a nightclub that aspired to be the most cutting-edge in the world.

The bankruptcy of Circa, less than three years after opening, provided a prime downtown location for Marshalls owner TJX Companies, which expects to eventually open up to 100 similar stores across the country.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...ss-canada.html

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Yes, I was just thinking about how I'd like to own a mobile phone, but none of the mobile phone retailers really speaks to me as a gay man.

This is absolutely one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of.
I have yet to see anyone in the store besides the staff.... It won't be around too long it seems.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 8:58 PM

they are opening a second CAYA store in Gastown on water street here in Vancouver

seems like they want to go with the concept

but that said most cell phone stores are empty when i pass unless they are in a mall

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 10:03 PM

Is Zellers a ‘Target’ for takeover as U.S. stores enter Canadian market?

By Marc Weisblott | Canada - Daily Brew – Wed, 12 Jan 11:30 AM EST

When news of several discount American chains expanding into Canada brewed through the fall, few stories considered where all of those Target, Kohl's and Marshalls stores were going to fit.

The answer, it turns out, can likely be found at your nearest Zellers.

A report from The Globe and Mail stated U.S. property entrepreneur Richard Baker, whose private equity firm NRDC acquired Zellers parent Hudson's Bay Company in 2008, is eager to sell locations of the discount chain.

But the source for the story also cautioned the deal would be a complicated one.

While it might seem natural to flip all the unfashionable Zellers stores into the more glamorous Target, much like how 122 Woolco locations were acquired by Walmart in 1994, the transition would not be quite so seamless.

Nonetheless, retail watchers don't think the 276 Zellers stores would survive the competition, anyhow.

Not only has Target confirmed plans to enter the Canadian market along with rival store Kohl's, the clothing chain Marshalls confirmed it will open first six stores north of the border later this year with hopes for around 90 more.

Zellers, founded in 1931 after Waterloo, Ont.-born founder Walter P. Zeller purchased the 14 Canadian locations of five-and-dime store Schulte-United, merged with the Bay in 1978.

Later, the name was planted on locations acquired from Quebec-based Bonimart and its English Canadian equivalent Towers, and the bankrupt B.C. chain Woodward's.

Despite its prominent national presence, Zellers has not been able to shake its second-rate status since the invasion of Walmart in 1994.

"Because the Lowest Price is the Law!" was played up as its slogan, along with other nationalistic positioning statements and the pioneering "Club Z" reward program, the brand arguably hasn't benefitted much amid ownership changes at HBC.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...83032-382.html

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 2:37 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Quote:
Target to open more than 100 Canadian stores

Dana Flavelle Business Reporter

Cheap-chic discount department store retailer Target Corp. Has confirmed it will enter the Canadian market through the purchase of Zellers’ leaseholds.

The deal, valued at $1.825 billion, will allow Target to open its first Canadian stores in 2013.

The company, which is the second largest U.S. Discount retailer behind Wal-mart, said it is purchasing 220 leaseholds from Hudson’s Bay Co.

Under a complex leaseback arrangement, the stores will continue to operate as Zellers for the time being.

Target plans to convert 100 to 150 stores to its banner. Additional sites may be converted to other retail brands, the company said in a statement Thursday...

http://www.thestar.com/business/arti...an-stores?bn=1
Sounds like some stores will be closing or rebranded to something else.

Flickr®

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 2:48 PM
What could go wrong?

Finally. I hate Zellers.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Finally. I hate Zellers.
Where am I supposed to get my Cherokee gear now?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Not all Zellers locations were involved in the deal with Target. Zellers has about 290 stores, but only 220 were sold to Target. HBC has indicated in other stories on other sites this morning they will continue to operate them as Zellers, though there may be some changes in terms of product lineups.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
um at target since cherokee has always been at target even before zellers had it

http://www.target.com/Cherokee-Mens/...&node=13162131

a lot of the brands at zellers were lifted from target when zellers started to style itself after target

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
um at target since cherokee has always been at target even before zellers had it

http://www.target.com/Cherokee-Mens/...&node=13162131

a lot of the brands at zellers were lifted from target when zellers started to style itself after target
Well, that's great news lol. I was kidding about Cherokee, but had remembered that much of my back to school clothing years back had been from Zellers...

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 6:59 PM

haha yah - hopwfully its not a watered down version of the usa - it probably will be but they do have some great stuff for the home clothes not so much - although they have a cool converse line and mossimo is already at zellers so no change there

I was reading about zellers yesterday it bought out a bunch of locations of some US store brand that was operating in ontario and quebec way back some guy from ontario named zeller bought out the 14 stores of that US chain

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 7:03 PM

I hope they go a full "Targetization" on the stores they do change over, and not just a name change. One of the things I like the most about visiting Target in the States is the appearance and cleanliness standards of the stores I was in. Just about every Zellers store I've ever been to needs a full cleanout and renovation to be brought anywhere near the Target standards.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 7:13 PM

maybe we will see some ad wraps on the skytrain

www.chicago-l.org

media.syracuse.com

blog.getpeek.com

and of course...

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I was reading about zellers yesterday it bought out a bunch of locations of some US store brand that was operating in ontario and quebec way back some guy from ontario named zeller bought out the 14 stores of that US chain
Five n' Dime was the store Zellers bought out after the depression.

Can't say I go into many Target stores when I'm south, but I know people that cross the line just to shop there. They refer to them as "Tarjey"... I'm glad Zellers will eventually be disolved, their stores lately were becoming a national embarrassment!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
I hope they go a full "Targetization" on the stores they do change over, and not just a name change. One of the things I like the most about visiting Target in the States is the appearance and cleanliness standards of the stores I was in. Just about every Zellers store I've ever been to needs a full cleanout and renovation to be brought anywhere near the Target standards.
Well they did say they plan on sinking $1B into in-store improvements, and while $5M/store may not be a huge amount it will make a signficant increase. The big thing to read out of this deal though is that Target is only buying the leases, not the actual Zellers stores and business. So I'd imagine that HBC will be leasing back the space from Target and operating the stores themselves until Target decides to convert a store, at which time the Zellers will close and renovations will begin. Or in the case of the stores that Target doesn't want, until they decide to sell and find a buyer.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 12:04 AM

soem other places i've been reading are saying 60 of the stores that target doesn't want are wanted by walmart and they may take over some stores

will be interesting to see what happens and how fast stores close etc in anticipation of target and whatever else could take over

kohls had plans already to open in 2011/2012 in Canada perhaps they will start with some locations that target discards

harlingenedc.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada