HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 9:34 PM

There's a strong case to be made that a team with a mix of their top NBA players with lower league guys is stronger than a team with your 12 best NBA players. There's only one ball and there could be too many guys wanting to take 25-30 shots a game.

But a team that only has 2 NBA players is a toss up. But then again, lots of successful teams internationally, including the ones that have beaten the US only had a couple of NBA guys.

And just like soccer, there are players in lower leagues who are starters who could easily be deep bench guys in the NBA so the term NBA player should be taken with a grain of salt.

Canada could easily go 2-1 and have a shot at 3-0 or go 0-3. None of these would surprise me.

I've always liked the way Pangos plays. Only seen a little bit of him from his days at Gonazaga but he seems to be quite the scrapper. And it looks funny sometimes because he still looks like a kid.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 10:21 PM

FIBA World Cup Exhibition: Canada vs. New Zealand, Game 1
Aug 20, 2019

Watch Canada play New Zealand in the first of two FIBA World Cup exhibition games from Sydney, Australia. 2:00:06

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 12:09 AM

I get the feeling the guys who scored the points tonight won't be part of the final roster: Best, Notice, T Scrubb. Offensively, Birch hasn't been great but aside from that the whole team is playing well. I'd start Phil Scrubb and Pangos, both seem to get the game off to a good start early.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 12:35 AM

Noticing the Australian/New Zealand commentators haven't mentioned Canada's missing NBAers at all, unlike here, it is a non story. I didn't watch most of the second Australia game but the only reference I heard was in the first game and they spoke about Australia having seven NBAers in their lineup and Canada had one. So far no one has been mentioned by name, so I guess Canada's missing "star" power doesn't rate too much.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 2:37 AM
The New Republic

Those commentators seemed continually shocked by the Canadian team. With our stars not here they assumed Canada would get routed. They argued that they weren't taking Canada lightly but that's precisely what they did. The NZ/AUS print media had much better and fairer coverage. They talked about Canada being without 16 of 17 NBA players and even had articles about how Canada at full strength was a legitimate threat to the US. Goes to show the disparity between real journalism and those that have no journalism background.

One thing that was a little irritating was how the Australia - US matchup was being hyped to high heaven while the Australia - Canada match ups were treated like an after thought.

Last edited by isaidso; Aug 23, 2019 at 2:50 AM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 2:53 PM

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 4:22 PM

U.S. outclasses Canada in final pre-World Cup basketball friendly
Canadian shooters shot just 35 per cent from 3-point range
The Canadian Press Aug 26, 2019

Canada's men's basketball team ended its pre-FIBA World Cup exhibition schedule with an ugly 84-68 rout by the United States on Monday.

Kyle Wiltjer had 21 points, while Orlando Magic forward Khem Birch — Canada's lone NBA player in the game — had 13 points and six rebounds.

"We've got a lot of work to do, but we've enjoyed our time here," Wiltjer said. "Let's not forget these are practice games."

The Canadians shot just 35 per cent from the field and 6-for-23 (26 per cent) from three-point range.

Jaylen Brown had 19 points to top the Americans, who outrebounded Canada 55-37.

Andrew Nembhard, who injured his knee last week, and Kaza Kajami-Keane (ankle) both returned for Canada, while Brady Heslip, a late arrival for the Canadians, played his first game in Australia.

But Canada was missing Oshae Brissett, who sat out the game for Canada with an injury.

Canada struggled mightily on the offensive end, shooting 27 per cent from the field in the first half to trail 20-9 after one quarter, and 46-31 at halftime.

"You don't play great every night," head coach Canadian Nick Nurse said. "They'll be fine. We just flush this one away and get back to what we're doing."

Canada never in it

The Canadians trailed by as many as 20 points in the third quarter and limped into the fourth down 64-47 in front of a crowd of 15,155 at Qudos Bank Arena.

The Americans stretched their lead to 24 points in the fourth. Canada finished the game with a 7-0 run — including three-pointers from Aaron Best and Wiltjer — to make the score a bit more respectable.

"I don't think we played very well tonight," Nurse said. "I think we've been playing pretty well, with a lot of juice and spirit and energy and I think you could almost sum that game up in the first four or five possessions [of the game]."

Canada finished 4-3 in pre-World Cup action, splitting a pair of games with Australia and Nigeria, and beating New Zealand twice.

For Nurse, the stay in Australia has been great for the players and coaching staff.

"I've learned a lot about them," Nurse said. "I'm a new coach [for this team], and they're still trying to learn me, I think and we've made a lot of progress.

"I think our guys have made a lot of strides, play hard, have chemistry," he said. "We've been really competitive, fun to watch, we've defended, moved the ball, all that stuff. We've played great. We don't expect to play perfectly every night, or even to play well every night."

Both Canada and the U.S. are missing most of their NBA stars, although the U.S. is the only team that heads to the World Cup with a full roster of NBA players.

Canada is without Andrew Wiggins, Jamal Murray, R.J. Barrett, Tristan Thompson, Dwight Powell, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Chris Boucher and Nickeil Alexander-Walker, among others. Miami Heat forward Kelly Olynyk suffered a bone bruise in his knee in the first exhibition game against Nigeria and will skip the World Cup. Sacramento Kings guard Cory Joseph didn't travel to Australia but is expected to join the Canadian team in China.

The Canadians open the World Cup on Sunday against the Australian Boomers, a team they beat by 20 points during this exhibition run, in Dongguan. Their tough Group H also includes Lithuania and Senegal.

Nurse tour

Nurse is getting the full tour of the other side of the world this year. The Canadians have been in Australia for a week or so, and now head to China for the World Cup. Then, Nurse will be in Japan when the world champion Raptors (albeit now without NBA Finals MVP Kawhi Leonard) play preseason games against Houston on Oct. 8 and Oct. 10.

Up next

Canada: Opens World Cup play Sept. 1 vs. Australia in Dongguan, China.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 5:14 PM

So three more Canadians got injured in recent games? This in addition to Kyle Kuzma on the US, who pulled out and now the US is down to 12 players from camp and therefore everyone makes the team.

I suppose those injuries are something you'd typically pick up in the regular season and come back in a couple or maybe a few games. Or just play with it if it were the playoffs. But no wonder the top stars aren't chancing it with the possibility it could be severe.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 5:48 PM
The New Republic

The big question is why so many NBA stars are saying no to the World Championships? Sportsnet places the blame squarely with FIBA. I've linked the article below. FIBA are trying to replicate the FIFA system and planning as if the NBA doesn't exist at all. NBA players weren't available for most of the WC qualifying rounds and it explains why 2017 European champions Slovenia didn't qualify for the World Cup. They didn't have enough depth to qualify without Doncic.

Instead of being focused on WC qualification and participating in the WC, NBA players are predictably focused on their NBA season. Even if they wanted to play for their country it's a matter of load management. Can you play an entire NBA season, go through WC qualifying, play the WC, then have practically no down time before the next NBA season starts? Most of them have answered NO to that question.

Most are taking a pass on the WC and will commit to the Tokyo Olympics instead. In Canada's case, its now unclear if we will go deep at the WC, and by extension, qualify for Tokyo 2020. Canada has essentially sent a 'B' team; maybe even it's 'C' team. The focus has shifted to the last ditch Olympic qualifying tournament a few weeks before the Tokyo Olympics. If it comes to that, and it looks likely now, we'll likely see Canada at full strength (or close to it) for that.

Canadians in the NBA

Kyle Alexander - Miami Heat
Nickeil Alexander-Walker - New Orleans Pelicans
R. J. Barrett - New York Knicks
Khem Birch - Orlando Magic
Ignas Brazdeikis - New York Knicks
Oshae Brissett - Toronto Raptors
Dillon Brooks - Memphis Grizzlies
Brandon Clarke - Memphis Grizzlies
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander - Oklahoma City Thunder
Cory Joseph - Sacramento Kings
Mfiondu Kabengele - Los Angeles Clippers
Trey Lyles - San Antonio Spurs
Jamal Murray - Denver Nuggets
Kelly Olynyk - Miami Heat
Dwight Powell - Dallas Mavericks
Tristan Thompson - Cleveland Cavaliers
Andrew Wiggins - Minnesota Timberwolves

Canadians in the NBA G League

Anthony Bennett - Houston Rockets
Chris Boucher - Toronto Raptors
Luguentz Dort - Oklahoma City Thunder
Naz Mitrou-Long - Indiana Pacers
Marial Shayok - Philadelphia 76ers

https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/...da-basketball/

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 6:05 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post

For Nurse, the stay in Australia has been great for the players and coaching staff.

"I've learned a lot about them," Nurse said. "I'm a new coach [for this team], and they're still trying to learn me, I think and we've made a lot of progress.
That's about the 10th time he's uttered gibberish. My nephew said things like that when he was 6 but then he went to school.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Instead of being focused on WC qualification and participating in the WC, NBA players are predictably focused on their NBA season. Even if they wanted to play for their country it's a matter of load management. Can you play an entire NBA season, go through WC qualifying, play the WC, then have practically no down time before the next NBA season starts? Most of them have answered NO to that question.

Most are taking a pass on the WC and will commit to the Tokyo Olympics instead. In Canada's case, its now unclear if we will go deep at the WC, and by extension, qualify for Tokyo 2020
You CAN do the above, and the example is Tristan Thompson who, aside from the rookies trying to get established, is the only guy who gets a free ride from me. He always answered the call, the rest is bullshit, sure some might show up for the Olympics when all the heavy lifting and dirty work to get there has been done. They do owe something, they owe all the volunteers who helped them when they were kids, the taxpayers who paid for facilities where they could hone their craft, it is selfishness plain and simple. I'm not asking for them to show up every time, people do have things going on in their lives and their careers. Wasn't it Tom Scrubb who showed up after getting married August 3rd, the only difference between he and the freeloaders is that they make millions more than him but relatively speaking he is sacrificing the same as they are. What about Kelly Olynyk, didn't he have as much or more to lose? Sure he had a minor injury to put him out, but at least he showed up. I'm not buying any BS that these guys don't owe anything, they can pay back a little. At least the hockey guys have some conscience.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 6:17 PM

Quote:
That's about the 10th time he's uttered gibberish. My nephew said things like that when he was 6 but then he went to school.
Are you arguing with the message of the sentence or the grammar? I believe it is grammatically correct.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 6:41 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Are you arguing with the message of the sentence or the grammar? I believe it is grammatically correct.
You can't be serious. "They're still trying to learn me" is Grade 2 level English and makes no sense whatsoever. Usually after 1-2 years of elementary school kids know that it's "They're still trying to learn about me". It makes him sound uneducated and/or slow but why bother with grammar at all? We can just say things like "they are trying to talk me". I suppose this sort of thing is to be expected in the modern world of texting and people saying crap like "I did good" or 'She ate quick".

When people talk like that I just assume that they're philistines/simple but this guy clearly finished school. Didn't he play basketball at a college in Iowa?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 7:08 PM

Quote:
You can't be serious. "They're still trying to learn me" is Grade 2 level English and makes no sense whatsoever. Usually after 1-2 years of elementary school kids know that it's "They're still trying to learn about me". It makes him sound uneducated and/or slow but why bother with grammar at all? We can just say things like "they are trying to talk me". I suppose this sort of thing is to be expected in the modern world of texting and people saying crap like "I did good" or 'She ate quick".

When people talk like that I just assume that they're philistines/simple but this guy clearly finished school. Didn't he play basketball at a college in Iowa?
He was trying to imply, learn (about) me. He's the coach, the players would not be "teaching" him. Good grammar is clear and concise, I had to teach it (pardon the expression) one hundred years ago. Leaving out the word about, I personally don't find objectionable. It becomes less objectionable if you insert a slight pause between learn and me.

Here are my two pet peeves:

Using loose instead of lose ie We are going to loose the game. Since the advent of the Internet I would say this is used incorrectly at least 90% of the time. This was never an issue pre Internet.

Using of instead of have ie We should of lost the game.

But my all time favourite is, she is a pre Madonna Believe it or not I have seen that a few times. Too shay (sic)

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 7:49 PM

Quote:
The big question is why so many NBA stars are saying no to the World Championships? Sportsnet places the blame squarely with FIBA. I've linked the article below. FIBA are trying to replicate the FIFA system and planning as if the NBA doesn't exist at all. NBA players weren't available for most of the WC qualifying rounds and it explains why 2017 European champions Slovenia didn't qualify for the World Cup. They didn't have enough depth to qualify without Doncic.
You can blame FIBA for trying to institute a FIFA-like schedule that requires multiple-year commitments when the culture for it just isn't there among the sports biggest stars. Not sure if you can blame them for the lack of pedigree that international basketball holds overall though.

Fact is most players recognize that their career and legacy is almost entirely going to be measured by NBA championships and anything that is detrimental to that goal should be ignored. The only time I've heard anyone bring up Olympic (or any international) achievement as a credential for possible HOF nomination is Ginobili's gold medal. I think the NBA media has created a bit of a damaging narrative that a superstar is only worth the number of rings they have. If you watch some of the nationally televised games you hear it all the time on the panel with Shaq basically using his rings to invalidate anything Charles Barkley says that he disagrees with. Then the same people get mad that superteams are destroying the sport. Are they really surprised Durant choose to go to Golden State for as close to a guaranteed championship as you can get? He knows basically all of his individual accolades would be swept under the rug if he never made it all the way.

If there was the same pressure on guys like Barrett, Doncic, Jokic, etc. That Messi and Ronaldo have had on them their entire careers to bring home an international championship then we would probably see a different tournament. Hopefully now that more countries can field solid teams, another upset of the U.S like in Athens could spark some desire for international achievement, although I still think it will be at the Olympics and not FIBA.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 7:51 PM
BANNED

World Cup of hockey how many Canadians say no? Just saying, NBA is the "all about me and me only" league!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 7:58 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
World Cup of hockey how many Canadians say no? Just saying, NBA is the "all about me and me only" league!
The World Cup is run by the NHL so players don't really have the option to say no.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 8:08 PM

Quote:
You CAN do the above, and the example is Tristan Thompson who, aside from the rookies trying to get established, is the only guy who gets a free ride from me. He always answered the call, the rest is bullshit, sure some might show up for the Olympics when all the heavy lifting and dirty work to get there has been done. They do owe something, they owe all the volunteers who helped them when they were kids, the taxpayers who paid for facilities where they could hone their craft, it is selfishness plain and simple. I'm not asking for them to show up every time, people do have things going on in their lives and their careers. Wasn't it Tom Scrubb who showed up after getting married August 3rd, the only difference between he and the freeloaders is that they make millions more than him but relatively speaking he is sacrificing the same as they are. What about Kelly Olynyk, didn't he have as much or more to lose? Sure he had a minor injury to put him out, but at least he showed up. I'm not buying any BS that these guys don't owe anything, they can pay back a little. At least the hockey guys have some conscience.

They owe volunteers and tax payers?

I know Wiggins has donated to upgrade his home facility and to CT Jump Start. I believe it's only in the 10s of thousands but better than nothing.

And as for tax payers do you mean for through the funding of Basketball Canada or for funding the facilities they played in growing up?

Their parents were all paying taxes when they grew up playing. And these players did represent Canada at youth levels to help them finish as high as possible including the youth WC last year or whenever when they were lead by RJ.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Hopefully now that more countries can field solid teams, another upset of the U.S like in Athens could spark some desire for international achievement, although I still think it will be at the Olympics and not FIBA.
For what it's worth, Australia beat the US this week ending their unbeaten streak. People can make excuses like the classic "it wasn't our A team" or "that game doesn't mean anything" but the fact remains that the team representing the US lost. If like Canada, they start to lose these games more often, maybe we'll see change. Maybe not.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Just saying, NBA is the "all about me and me only" league!
T'is, entitlement and selfishness simple as that. And people will eventually tire of it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada