HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 4:20 PM

Love that aerial shot!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 4:08 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

It's Official: One World Observatory Will Open May 29

Quote:
With signage and a working marquee up, we knew the opening of One World Observatory, was imminent, and this morning, the official opening date was announced: Friday, May 29. Tickets, which cost a whopping $32 for adults, will be available for purchase starting tomorrow, Wednesday, April 8 at 10 a.m. In the days before the official opening, there will be special visits for school children and World Trade Center construction workers, as well as "an open house for the general public on a first-come, first-served basis" on Thursday, May 28, details of which have not be released.

The observatory will sit 1,250 feet above the street, on the 100, 101, and 102 floors of One World Trade Center, and the trip to the top will only take 60 seconds, thanks to the high-speed elevators called Sky Pods. The show starts before guests even board the elevators. From the official press release:

"Upon entry, guests will be greeted in the Global Welcome Center, where a large video board will feature salutations in an array of languages, and a dynamically generated world map will highlight the hometowns of visitors. Guests will then proceed to a pre-show program, titled Voices, which tells the personal stories of the men and women who built One World Trade Center, and Foundations, which displays facts about the very bedrock on which the building stands."
In the elevators, you can expect: "Immersive, floor-to-ceiling LED technology in each cab invites guests to experience a virtual time-lapse that recreates the development of New York City's skyline from the 1600s to present day."
The Sky Pods drop you off at the See Forever Theater on the 102nd floor (note: OWO has trademarked "See Forever"). Here, you'll watch a two-minute video "that combines bird's eye imagery, time-lapse shots with abstract textures and patterns to present the unique rhythm and pulse of New York City to dramatic life in three dimensions." Huh?

Next comes the good part: the Main Observatory on the 100th floor, where you'll experience "City Pulse," "an interactive skyline 'concierge' that allows guests to deeply connect with the landmarks and neighborhoods they observe from above." This space is wrapped with HD video monitors outfitted with "gesture recognition technology" so the "global ambassadors" (aka human OWO employees) can summon whatever imagery you want. This floor also hold "the Sky Portal where guests are invited to step onto a 14-foot wide circular disc that will deliver an unforgettable view, using real-time, high-definition footage of the streets below."

There will be three dining options on the 101st floor, and a 9,300-square-foot event space on the 102nd floor will offer catering services for up to 300 people.
============================
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...pen_may_29.php

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 10:44 PM
weidncol

The prices are actually really decent.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 7:06 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 10:08 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 6:17 PM

I'm excited to go check out the new Observation deck. I think all the 'virtual' stuff is a bit hokey, and I still wish you could go outside, but I think it'll be a really incredible view.

I do think it will be a bit strange being up there. So close to where so many perished (the Southern exposure is less than 60ft from where 1 WTC stood). I'm not really prone to PTSD but I think that might mess with me a bit.

I am glad to see it opening though. To see it return as a tourist destination and restaurant. I'm also glad it's opening now, after the memorial and museum have been up and running. Those two are for reflecting on the past. This is a signal that we have rebuilt, and we can return to our grandiose ways undeterred.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 7:50 PM
New Yorker for life

I think its probably for those reasons you mentioned, we need to get back up there. It's symbolic in more ways than one.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 8:31 PM
Crane Goddess

Here's one person's comment from a Timeout New York article:

"These selfie-snapping tourists will be looking out at - indeed, from their lofty space they will be right next to - the ghosts and spirits and essences, the lingering screams, of those poor people who died at the adjacent Windows on the World Restaurant. They will be horizontally right across the way - mere feet away - from where those workers and guests perished, busboys and businessmen alike, innocents at that ill-fated early morning Windows on the World breakfast, not a single one who escaped, 1000 feet up, at the very top of the World Trade Center, trapped, no way out, no way up, no way down, the sheer prolonged hour-long anguish and agony of how they died...

All this will no doubt haunt and infuse the vicinity, the site, the atmosphere. All this will shriek and scream in the howling winds and tear-filled rains, all this will scar the ghostly clouds and float in the gloom of enveloping fog, all this will stain every blood red Jersey sunset, all this will remind us of the pulverized dust of their remains, forever filling the very air itself....

In respect, in their memory, to maintain our own dignity, please - let's not make this Observatory into a tourist mini-Disneyland.
This is forever not only a graveyard,
but a gruesome murder scene that can’t be erased or forgotten."

I understand that for some people, it will always be "too soon", or they have their reasons for not wanting to go down there- wounds that never seem to heal. But how long must the rest of us defer to that type of thinking? How long must the rest of us hold ourselves back, and are all of us who feel that going back up there is essential to our own healing somehow disrespectful? We have the memorial plaza and fountains for reflection, as well as the museum. But we can't wallow in collective grief forever, sooner or later we need to wipe away our tears and get on with the business of living. Surely the people we lost wouldn't want us to be sad forever.

Oh, here's the link to the article:
http://www.timeout.com/newyork/blog/...04-08T21:26:41
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post

"These selfie-snapping tourists will be looking out at - indeed, from their lofty space they will be right next to - the ghosts and spirits and essences, the lingering screams, of those poor people who died at the adjacent Windows on the World Restaurant. They will be horizontally right across the way - mere feet away - from where those workers and guests perished, busboys and businessmen alike, innocents at that ill-fated early morning Windows on the World breakfast, not a single one who escaped, 1000 feet up, at the very top of the World Trade Center, trapped, no way out, no way up, no way down, the sheer prolonged hour-long anguish and agony of how they died...

All this will no doubt haunt and infuse the vicinity, the site, the atmosphere. All this will shriek and scream in the howling winds and tear-filled rains, all this will scar the ghostly clouds and float in the gloom of enveloping fog, all this will stain every blood red Jersey sunset, all this will remind us of the pulverized dust of their remains, forever filling the very air itself....

In respect, in their memory, to maintain our own dignity, please - let's not make this Observatory into a tourist mini-Disneyland.

I understand that for some people, it will always be "too soon", or they have their reasons for not wanting to go down there- wounds that never seem to heal. But how long must the rest of us defer to that type of thinking? How long must the rest of us hold ourselves back, and are all of us who feel that going back up there is essential to our own healing somehow disrespectful? We have the memorial plaza and fountains for reflection, as well as the museum. But we can't wallow in collective grief forever, sooner or later we need to wipe away our tears and get on with the business of living. Surely the people we lost wouldn't want us to be sad forever.

Sure it may cross a few tourists/visitor's minds when they visit the observation deck, but I don't think most will be in that mindset. I believe that mindset will be reserved (or at least should) for the memorial/museum.

Like, honestly, I didn't think about this until you posted it, and I lost a loved one on 9/11.

I personally am ecstatic to visit the observatory this summer. I think it'll serve its purpose of bringing a since of rebirth/revitalization rather than agonizing memories of people trapped in a building just a few feet away, basically at the exact height above ground.

Anyway, any chance we'll ever get some detailed pics of the typical Conde Nast office and/or Cafeteria?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 9:50 PM

I have 4 tickets for opening day at the 2:30pm slot. I booked them hoping I would be able to extend my trip but unfortunately I was not able to.

If anyone is interested in buying them from me send me a private message.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 11:53 PM

Quote:

this is 2015. 1 WTC isn't holy ground as people sometimes refer to 'ground zero' ( ) as. Just as an example, parents will be bringing their kids to the observatory to see the view, not to teach them something they wouldn't understand. The 'tourist Mini-Disneyland' environment is inevitable. Yeah, 9/11 happened here. If you're a morbid person stuck on a past event you could view an active place of business and trade as a graveyard forever, but I most certainly prefer not to.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 12:25 PM

It doesn't matter if it's 2015 or 2001, the families who lost people that day will always be reminded of 9/11 for as long as they live. You never get over that.

The Port Authority wants this to be a business center again but the memorial and museum are there to help people reflect and remember the past.

For those who didn't lose loved ones it will be a lot easier to visit this observation deck. I think the people did want all this to be rebuilt, to have a Tower that featured an observation deck and restaurant just as the originals did. They wanted that icon to return to Lower Manhattan after the Twin Towers left such a tremendous void. One WTC helped fill that void. It took $4B but we made it to this point to see this all open once again since 9/10/01.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 6:29 PM
Crane Goddess

^I would never tell those people to "get over it", or shame them for not wanting to go to the WTC. But I do wish that some of them would stop berating and shaming those of us who feel a real need to pick up where the people we lost left off.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
^I would never tell those people to "get over it", or shame them for not wanting to go to the WTC. But I do wish that some of them would stop berating and shaming those of us who feel a real need to pick up where the people we lost left off.
In all fairness, people need to respect each others wishes. If they want to live in the past and reminisce on the old Towers that's great. For those who want to accept the new Tower and look forward to the future that's great too. Some people still can't accept what happened there.

Perhaps once the new WTC is complete and they visit it, then they will accept it and understand just how difficult it was to rebuild it. One WTC will be a great attraction for tourists. Just look how popular the 9/11 memorial and museum are. One WTC will be just as popular if not more than the original WTC observation deck. 3 observatory levels, doesn't get any better than that.

I still wish there was an outdoor deck like the South Tower had, but I think this will be good enough.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 7:49 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

NYC 2015 by letsmetzger, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
It's Official: One World Observatory Will Open May 29

============================
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...pen_may_29.php
Wow! Finally!!! Just about time!! I wait for a long time. Looking forward to it. We will go to New York sometimes this Summer.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
Anyway, any chance we'll ever get some detailed pics of the typical Conde Nast office and/or Cafeteria?
Seconded. I've seen a few photos on social media here and there but I'd like to get a view of what their offices and views are like.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 9:15 PM

My latest video from yesterday from Brooklyn Bridge Park, got some great close-up of shots of 1 World Trade.

BY:QUEENSNY121

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUBuLjKqXSI

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 12:34 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 10:49 PM

Hey, I noticed on earth cam that they are staring to clean the facade of the top of the tower, look like they are getting ready for the observation deck opening.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture