HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 3:47 PM

I dont think things will go quite that low Warren... but as a renter, here's to hoping!

Also 1000sf 3 bedroom? those are some damn tiny bedrooms!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 4:36 PM
loafing in lotusland

Oh Man... this is starting to sound like RealEstateTalks.

I started thinking... with Translink buying that patch of land in Newton, I wonder if they're planning DMU service in that area... or LRT.

It would be interesting if Translink buys up some of this land in East Fraserlands... perhaps an LRT stretching from Marpole to Coquitlam? Or to New West across the bridge and then to Surrey?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 5:52 AM

Not to make it sound like a RET thread (I know JLousa escaped there a very long time ago) fact is that prices are coming down and I don't think a 3bed for under 400k is so out of the question. You can get some townhomes (older) in Port Moody for that price now (difference in distance from downtown a negligible margin) when you could not a few months ago. You can get almost 900 Sq.ft. 2Bed+Dens in Cambie for under 400k now, as well. What's to say that in a year's time we won't have new fraserland 3 beds for somewhere under 400k?

My bet is that affordability will be a very big factor in the sales of these places and the building of this new community. No, we do not need granite and stainless steel. Just quality built, energy efficient homes in well planned urban settings with amenities close at hand... isn't that what they've been talking about in the various public meetings?

1000sf small for 3 beds? Nah. Not if it's efficiently laid out. Only need 1.5 baths. Bedrooms are for sleeping. How much space do you need? 3 10'x10' bedrooms (not including closets), Livingroom/Diningroom/kitchen all open at 30x15', 1.5 baths, closets, laundry, walls - 1000sf.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 6:05 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I'm positive it won't be under 400k.... and where on Cambie are u getting under 400k... even the Camplain development which is just north of the marine drive development is going for $499 000... and that's the price right now. The prices of the townhomes there haven't been falling very quickly.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 3:03 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
I'm positive it won't be under 400k.... and where on Cambie are u getting under 400k... even the Camplain development which is just north of the marine drive development is going for $499 000... and that's the price right now. The prices of the townhomes there haven't been falling very quickly.
they don't start to fall as quickly as they started to rise, typically... especially if predictions that we're on the top of the bell curve are true.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 4:37 PM

Doesn't have to be a townhouse.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 5:06 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintinium View Post
they don't start to fall as quickly as they started to rise, typically... especially if predictions that we're on the top of the bell curve are true.
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentWill View Post
Doesn't have to be a townhouse.
It's a townhouse development with apartments into it. The example I used was an apartment, which is 1107 sqft. Btw, I was wrong earlier, the apartments are actually 2 years old.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 5:36 PM

Parklane will be handling the residential portion of the project. They’re a very experienced developer, and acutely aware of current residential market trends.

If they plan to target a more price-sensitive market by reconfiguring units, that’s one thing, but they’re not going to suddenly discount their prices on pre-sales because the market is softening and they mispriced them. If that was their expectation, they will just put things on hold.

We could argue all day long about what market prices are, or what 'affordable' means, but at the end of the day, this is still new construction, in the City of Vancouver, in what should be a very attractive new community. This isn't lost on the developer, and with such a large project, expect appropriately priced units and patience to market them.

Also, 3 Bed 1.5 bath? Really? Are there any new projects out there where this layout has been a success?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 6:22 PM
Vancouver Moderator

A few pictures from Parklane Homes of the current community:

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 11:54 PM
Dérive-r

^Wow, that looks like a surprisingly scenic area. Thanks for the pics.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 5:25 AM

Regarding 1.5 baths and whether it's popular or not. Let me ask you: Why do you need two baths? You need a 4 or 5 piece bathroom with the toilet ideally separated from the bath by a door but that is extremely rare in Vancouver from what I've seen, and you need a powder room with a toilet and sink. How often do you have both showers/baths running at the same time? For some reason we, in much of North America, feel entitled to 2+ full baths and not only does this waste space it also wastes money. Getting rid of a seldom used bath would gain you back close to 20sq.ft. of living space and save several hundred dollars in materials and labour.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 2:05 PM
Dig-it

Quote:
Regarding 1.5 baths and whether it's popular or not. Let me ask you: Why do you need two baths?
Your Guests or Family members shouldn’t have to use your personal ensuite to take a shower.
There are certain expectations when paying $400K plus, you think?.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 2:20 PM
testify

hmm... i think the 3 bed, 1.5 bath comment was made more to illustrate that at 1000-1100 sqf, that's too many rooms.

thanks for posting those pics deasine, looks nice out there.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFace View Post
Your Guests or Family members shouldn’t have to use your personal ensuite to take a shower.
There are certain expectations when paying $400K plus, you think?.
Wow how prude we have become, I guess you never shared one bathroom with 7 brothers and one sister, a dog and the entire farm animals or have ever used a outHouse? ( just a little humour thrown in the mix)

Old Posted Aug 24, 2008, 7:44 PM

I can't believe I'm taking a little flack for suggesting a 1000sq.ft. 3 bed 1.5 bath. Here's a mockup I did of what one could look like. Sorry I can't post a PDF on this forum but here's a link to my idea fleshed out and with the floor plan below: http://agentwill.com/life/designing-my-own-space/

Sorry to have taken this off topic... It just seems to me that if they are going to build up the Fraserlands into this new "community" that they could do it better than a lot of what I see out there in Vancouver. I'd like to see them dump the expensive finishings as standard (though there's certainly a bigger profit margin from them) and get more people to be able to buy a home they will want to stay in and not just reside in for a few years till they can afford something more suitable.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2008, 10:00 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I don't have an issue with 3bds in 1000 sqft or with 1.5 bathrooms. The problem is people like me are in the minority. Selling something like that really limits your target group, as people are expecting more. Same reason why granite and stainless are selling even though no one needs it, people are just expecting it. Try to make a development with Ikea kitchens and carpet even though they could be 20-30K cheaper then an upscale unit you'd have a much harder time selling it.
Maybe the slowdown will change things a little, we'll have to wait and see. I don't think this development is where you'll see it though, I would wager you'll see the downgrading being in the suburbs first.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2008, 11:20 PM

I don't know, my condo is 1095 square feet (probably only about 1050 usable living space, though) and has 2 bedrooms, office, and 1.5 bathrooms. The office could EASILY be made in to a bedroom if it had to be. Link to the floorplan is below, but the best way would probably be to knock out the wall between the Den / "Flex" room, make a closet and voila! Honestly my parents house in Calgary was a 3 bedroom bungalow (only one large bathroom, though) and just a bit over 1000 square feet, we lived fine (didn't know any better...). People in the 50's were smart with their designs and use of space.

http://www.lhvancouver.com/pdf/lherm...out_planD1.pdf

Anyways, I don't find myself short on space with 3 rooms, 1.5 bathrooms at under 1100 square feet.

More here > http://www.flickr.com/photos/syume/

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 8:06 AM
loafing in lotusland

Yeah... ensuites are a relatively new idea. We built a new house in the 90s and I don't remember it having an ensuite. Shared one bathroom for a large family later.

I AM a HUGE fan of Japanese two-part bathrooms, though. Separate the Bathroom from the toilet room. It makes far too much sense to be used here, though.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Regarding 1.5 baths and whether it's popular or not. Let me ask you: Why do you need two baths? You need a 4 or 5 piece bathroom with the toilet ideally separated from the bath by a door but that is extremely rare in Vancouver from what I've seen, and you need a powder room with a toilet and sink. How often do you have both showers/baths running at the same time? For some reason we, in much of North America, feel entitled to 2+ full baths and not only does this waste space it also wastes money. Getting rid of a seldom used bath would gain you back close to 20sq.ft. of living space and save several hundred dollars in materials and labour.
I'm with you AW. I see so many 2BR/2Bathrm places downtown, where space is a premium. Even 1BR/1.5Bathrm.. ridiculous!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
I don't know, my condo is 1095 square feet (probably only about 1050 usable living space, though) and has 2 bedrooms, office, and 1.5 bathrooms. The office could EASILY be made in to a bedroom if it had to be. Link to the floorplan is below, but the best way would probably be to knock out the wall between the Den / "Flex" room, make a closet and voila! Honestly my parents house in Calgary was a 3 bedroom bungalow (only one large bathroom, though) and just a bit over 1000 square feet, we lived fine (didn't know any better...). People in the 50's were smart with their designs and use of space.
Anyways, I don't find myself short on space with 3 rooms, 1.5 bathrooms at under 1100 square feet.
I for one am pretty jealous of your setup Yume, that building looks like one of the best new ones downtown. Some day I hope to be down there.

Have you looked into knocking down that wall? It might be pretty tough in a strata environment, but maybe you could cut a doorway to make a walk-in closet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver