HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenegade View Post
It is a little disappointing that an Urgent Care Centre won't remain on-site on Burrard, but I suppose it makes sense. There is only so much money to go around. With more than 50% of pick-ups on the DTES, this location seems to make more sense. IF the Georgia Viaduct remains in-place then the 20% or so of pick-ups in the City Centre will be just as easily served. Without the viaducts though? I'm not so sure.

Presumably any sort of re-development of St. Pauls would require the $80M to be spent on seismic upgrading of the Heritage Building, but paid by a private developer who purchases the site. From the looks of it (eyeballing the Google Earth image) it appears than at least 50% of the current St. Paul's site should be available for complete redevelopment. Looking forward to seeing what happens.
Geoff Plant said there is a possibility that some form of UCC can remain in place on the St. Paul's site.

Like any good politician, I feel like they throw out these ideas, wait for the outcry, then offer the olive branch and "everybody is happy.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 9:52 PM

http://www.vancouvermarket.ca/2015/0...al-site-worth/

Quote:
How Much is the St. Paul’s Hospital Site Worth?

First, an overview of the site:
◾Site Area: 292,235 SF, or 6.7 acres
◾Existing Zoning: DD – Downtown District (Sub Area G)
◾Permitted Density: 6.0 FSR (office not to exceed 5.0 FSR), or 1,753,410 SF (under current zoning)
◾Allowable Height: 300 ft (with discretionary increase to 450 ft)
◾View Cones: View cone C1 (Laurel Landbridge to the Lions) bisects the site as depicted below and likely limits much of the site to at or near the 300 ft. limit (30-storeys for residential)
◾Current Tax Assessment Value (Land Only): $465,004,000

Rezoning potential is unknown at this stage, but the current zoning would appear to support a residential/mixed-use development up to 1.75 Million SF. A preliminary valuation based on this cursory highest and best use analysis yields the following value:

Based on existing zoning

292,235 SF x 6.0 FSR x $250 per buildable SF =

$438,000,000

Now, if the site were rezoned to say 10.0 FSR, with a Community Amenity Contribution or social housing component:

Based on rezoning to 10.0 FSR

292,235 x 10.0 FSR x ($250 per buildable SF less $75 per SF CAC) =

$511,000,000
http://www.vancouvermarket.ca/2015/0...al-site-worth/

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I think it's a great idea, but certainly leaving the original heritage site as an urgent care centre is a no-brainer. Maybe that's the plan in their back pocket anyway.

I don't like how this is characterized as moving the hospital "out of downtown". Sure, if you draw artificial lines, it's not on the peninsula but it's not a true picture of what is happening.

This facility will enliven that area in a great way. Big step forward for Vancouver.

The lack of accessibility is a joke. It's right on a skytrain line! I'd argue easier access for vehicles with or without the viaducts. St. Paul's only has one main entrance on Burrard, which can be gridlocked. This new facility will have access from multiple sides.
Absolutely. The centre of gravity in downtown has been moving eastward for a long time and will continue to do so (have a look at the DTES plan and you'll see more development planned for East Strathcona).

This location has dramatically better transit connections and makes tons of sense.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 10:54 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Hmm, at least the view cone is mostly covering the heritage buildings anyway.
I would hope that they keep a good amount of medical services there in the redevelopment.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 11:40 PM

So surely this is the eventual death of all plans to remove the viaducts. What I am curious about though is if this will resurrect the Malkin conector plans. It certainly should so that traffic can be funneled around Strachoma including hospital traffic and more importantly to construct a overpass of the rail tracks which will be seeing more train traffic in the near future and restricting access to the hospital from the east at times.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 11:44 PM

I know that it would suck having a service removed from your direct area, but can't the west end residents see that this new hospital in false creek is for the greater good for the residents of the city of vancouver and metro vancouver in general. And its a 3km move! like seriously?

Having said all of this though, as a person that cares about healthcare infrastructure a lot, I still would like to see a reduced st. paul's on burrard (just an urgent care center like at UBC hospital, except 24 hours). I think that would be the perfect balance.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoe View Post

Renderings: Vancity Buzz / Providence Healthcare
Really hope by the time the hospital is supposed to be completed (2021?) we'll see creekside park and the Olympic village park/school completed or at least underway. Can't wait till those big lots are developed !

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 7:04 AM

Fantastic News, I really hope this happens.

It is a far better location for serving a larger portion of the city.

It is also far better for transit (being next to the renovated Main Street Station).

Also, it really adds a new case for retaining at least one of the viaducts (which was one of the long forgotten options, but now we know not really an option, originally presented for the viaducts). They would deliver emergency vehicles directly from downtown to the hospitals front door.

It also brings more need to actually build more road overpasses over the railyards, which have long been promised.

Why does the NDP in the area have to be against this plan? is it just because it is a Liberal plan? Seems like the best choice for me regarding St. Pauls.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 7:16 AM

I think its a great location and will be an outstanding hospital. It's a better location shift for how the population is shifting around the downtown core. Also moves it closer to those living around Commercial Drive, and next to the DTES whose average population I think actually needs hospital services more than most others in the area...

St. Paul's is a relic of the past, and isn't even nice. I hope they take the whole the thing down, sell it off, and redevelop the land.

As for service to the West End, it's not much further, and people in the West End can go to VGH too. They have basically two hospitals within rock throwing distance. They can cry me a river.

Finally, given they are building net-new, I am fairly confident the amount of hospital the area will get for $1-1.5 billion will far surpass the same amount invested in "rebuilding" the current St. Paul and what the area would get in return.

Like new bridges or new highway interchanges, it is ALWAYS cheaper and you get more when you build from scratch than if you try to retrofit later. As someone paying for a portion of this new hospital through my tax dollars (since it is a Provincial thing), I'm all for getting the best bang for the buck, and downtown Vancouver really needs a new state of the art hospital.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Fantastic News, I really hope this happens.

It is a far better location for serving a larger portion of the city.

It is also far better for transit (being next to the renovated Main Street Station).

Also, it really adds a new case for retaining at least one of the viaducts (which was one of the long forgotten options, but now we know not really an option, originally presented for the viaducts). They would deliver emergency vehicles directly from downtown to the hospitals front door.

It also brings more need to actually build more road overpasses over the railyards, which have long been promised.

Why does the NDP in the area have to be against this plan? is it just because it is a Liberal plan? Seems like the best choice for me regarding St. Pauls.
Because all opposition governments have to always be against everything the sitting government stands for or does even if they would do it themselves. It's just the fakeness of politics these days.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 2:34 PM

What sort of historic/heritage value does the current St. Paul's building have? I mean the old brick part. We're always talking about being mindful of good heritage stock, is this something we'll regret in the future if this building is demolished?

As for a new hospital, I am all for it of course. I can understand West End residents being against it, though. St. Paul's has a very strong connection to the community for many reasons.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 3:16 PM

The NDP is against it because that's their riding. I feel sympathy for those people in the West End, I think an urgent care center (not 24/7) needs to remain on that site.

That being said, building new is obviously far better as many have stated. I work in healthcare, and trying to renovate the most complex type of building, while maintaining service, is incredibly complex and expensive.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 3:55 PM

So Chrusty breaks another election promise. Well, its not like anyone thought she had principles anyway. T

his is a bad move for downtown. It likely also spells the end for Mt St Joseph Hospital, also run by Providence and just a few blocks south.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
So Chrusty breaks another election promise. Well, its not like anyone thought she had principles anyway. T

his is a bad move for downtown. It likely also spells the end for Mt St Joseph Hospital, also run by Providence and just a few blocks south.
Wow I guess changing your mind based on common sense is a stupid idea eh?

Questions: What would the NDP do? What would you do?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 5:59 PM

Quote:

Well put!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 6:52 PM

Quote:

Do what Chrusty promised: redevelop the site in stages, starting with a tower on the site of the Comox building. It's been a while since we had a provincial gov't so bereft of leadership or guiding principles (unless you consider attacking education a guiding principle).

The new site is off the downtown peninsula, period. In the event of a major earthquake this is a huge liablity for providing medical care to the downtown core and West End.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Do what Chrusty promised: redevelop the site in stages, starting with a tower on the site of the Comox building. It's been a while since we had a provincial gov't so bereft of leadership or guiding principles (unless you consider attacking education a guiding principle).
Ok great, now what is your budget, timeline, net benefits to patients, service expansion, etc?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 7:27 PM

Quote:
redevelop the site in stages, starting with a tower on the site of the Comox building.
But Providence themselves don't want that. And it sounds like they want to consolidate both hospitals. This outcome is their best case scenario, not something imposed by big bag gov't.

The $850 million scenario that you're advocating isn't an effective use of money vs. the $1.2B scenario for the new facility.

Quote:
The new site is off the downtown peninsula, period. In the event of a major earthquake this is a huge liablity for providing medical care to the downtown core and West End.
Which is worse after an earthquake - sending people onto the peninsula to the old site for medical care, or sending West End people 3km east out of the peninsula for medical care? Remember that the hospital is currently serving far more patients from outside the peninsula than from within the peninsula.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 7:51 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
But Providence themselves don't want that. And it sounds like they want to consolidate both hospitals. This outcome is their best case scenario, not something imposed by big bag gov't.

The $850 million scenario that you're advocating isn't an effective use of money vs. the $1.2B scenario for the new facility.

Which is worse after an earthquake - sending people onto the peninsula to the old site for medical care, or sending West End people 3km east out of the peninsula for medical care? Remember that the hospital is currently serving far more patients from outside the peninsula than from within the peninsula.
I guess in your scenario we would just let the people in the DTES, Yaletown, Srathcona, Gastown and all the new neighbourhoods now closer to a hospital just die.

btw, the gov't has mentioned they still want to keep some sort of medical facility downtown. I don't know what that means yet but I'm not judging it quite yet.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 7:54 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post

Which is worse after an earthquake -

I have NO FAITH that St Pauls will still exists after the smallest of earthquakes. Even after all that earthquake proofing they do

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver