HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 26, 2006, 7:59 PM

i think its good to have slightly less tall buildings at the waters edge. gradually raising the height of buildings from the waterfront to the city center accomplishes multiple benefits.

-from the perception of the pedestrian walking along the waterfront promenade, the perception of space is greater with short buildings in the forefront of taller buildings in the distance. much less claustrophobic too.

-by building shorter at the waters edge, future developers who don't have the benefit of waterfront property will be forced to build taller in order for their tennets to have that highly coveted water view. this gradual slopeing up from the water is reminiscent of natures own design (think of valleys rising from the river banks).

-the gradual stepping up in height allows more people to enjoy an open view.

the original renisaince plans for the city developed in the mid 1900's had this "step up" design in mind. as growth really took off in the late 70's and through the 80's, downtown companies lobbied succesfully for amendments to the zoning laws for their projects. the result is 100 east pratt (thanks to a threat from ibm to leave baltimore...which they pretty much did anyway). and the green glass tower that was the hq of legg mason until they moved into the old usf&g tower. the result is a somewhat closed off waterfront with out the sweeping vistas and sense of place that the city planners had in mind.

a great example of a city with a good mix of low / mid / high rise construction is toronto. take a look at their skyline from the lakefront east(?) of the CN tower.

ok..enough of my rambling....oh yeah...i can't express how excited i am to think about (2) 60 floor towers over on guilford ave! can't wait to see drawings!

Old Posted May 26, 2006, 8:09 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktulured55
But how tall is the 4 Seasons supposed to be? It will be shorter than Vue Harbor East right? That one could be taller as well....

and how did Husky now get banned? Do you know what is up with all of the Baltimore forumers getting banned? They put in good info and comments. How do they get banned?

I've seen people in other forums on this site use all the curse words in the book and not get banned... so that can't be it... I can't think of any other reason why they would get banned.. and is it permanent or just for a couple days or weeks?
He's not banned. That is what he put under his nick name.
You can change the "registered user" title to basically what ever you want to.

Old Posted May 30, 2006, 2:52 PM
Baltimore

Question another question

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW
He's not banned. That is what he put under his nick name.
You can change the "registered user" title to basically what ever you want to.

But it is in all caps and his name is red, just like bmorescottamanda, and marylandgirl. They all say "BANNED", and the name is red. AND none of them have posted since it has said that. So why would none of them have posted? How can that be explained?

at least we have another newbie who will hopefully give us good input and post frequently, welcome quabex!!!

Old Posted May 31, 2006, 9:21 AM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

All I know is that they are at www.skyscrapercity.com a lot.
Why don't you visit??

Old Posted May 31, 2006, 4:47 PM
Baltimore

Quote:
All I know is that they are at www.skyscrapercity.com a lot.
Why don't you visit??
I probably should, but i've gotten used to this one.. and I know if I go on that one I'll still have to do this one too.... and it adds to my list of things I have to check.... but I probably will. Still, it sucks that they got banned... if there are any powerful SSP beings reading this please UN-BAN the above mentioned 3 users. They only mean well

and if you do..... thank you

Anyways, anyone have any other updates on all these projects?

Steven, on SSC do they all 3 have the same forum names?

Old Posted May 31, 2006, 8:59 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Quote:
I probably should, but i've gotten used to this one.. and I know if I go on that one I'll still have to do this one too.... and it adds to my list of things I have to check.... but I probably will. Still, it sucks that they got banned... if there are any powerful SSP beings reading this please UN-BAN the above mentioned 3 users. They only mean well

and if you do..... thank you

Anyways, anyone have any other updates on all these projects?

Steven, on SSC do they all 3 have the same forum names?
I think so. Come over to the other forum. There are many, many, many, many more Baltimore people there.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2006, 2:52 AM

i'll check out ssc too. has anyone tried contacting the 'powers that be' on this site to find out what happened? they all had good input and, more importantly, good enthusiasm! on another note... i may be meeting with some folks from cignal development tomorrow...if i do, i'll get an update on the icon project (their tower on boston street).

Old Posted Jun 1, 2006, 8:37 PM
Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by quabex
i'll check out ssc too. has anyone tried contacting the 'powers that be' on this site to find out what happened? they all had good input and, more importantly, good enthusiasm! on another note... i may be meeting with some folks from cignal development tomorrow...if i do, i'll get an update on the icon project (their tower on boston street).
From where I access this site, I can not go to SSC, it is blocked to me. Therefore it looks like Im staying here and ONLY here. Yes, we need some input from "the powers that be" on why everyone is getting banned. I feel that I may get banned from just talking about it. That is how random it seems. Anyways.... what icon project on Boston Street? you talking about around where Canton Crossing is and where they may put in docks for a possible cruise line? or something else?

Keep up with the posting quabex and look at the Bmore threads in the regional forum

Old Posted Jun 1, 2006, 8:52 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Hi. Were you Banned from the skyscraperpage website forums??
If not please let Ktulured55 know. He thinks you and others are banned.

Steve

If you could forward this to him it will be great.

Hi (Steven W) told me to write you a email. Yes I was banned from the skyscraperpage for 30 days because me and another person in my house had an account. And the administrator said only one account per computer. I don't know why the others where banned. Ours where MdHusky3417 and Bmorescottamanda. It was going to be up in a couple of days. Please don't banned me from this site.

Thank you
Scott Lawrence

Old Posted Jun 1, 2006, 8:54 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by quabex
Sounds good. BTW, welcome to the forum!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2006, 4:13 AM

well, i never did meet with the cignal folks today. too many things going on. perhaps tomorrow.

thanks for all of the nice 'welcomes'. i hope to be a mindful citizen of the group and share some of my urban planning philosophies.

cheers,
-q

Old Posted Jun 2, 2006, 4:27 AM

Quote:
From where I access this site, I can not go to SSC, it is blocked to me. Therefore it looks like Im staying here and ONLY here. Yes, we need some input from "the powers that be" on why everyone is getting banned. I feel that I may get banned from just talking about it. That is how random it seems. Anyways.... what icon project on Boston Street? you talking about around where Canton Crossing is and where they may put in docks for a possible cruise line? or something else?

Keep up with the posting quabex and look at the Bmore threads in the regional forum

no, this is a seperate project from canton crossing. if you're familiar with the area, there is a parking lot between the blockbuster video, and tindeco apartments. cignal wants to build a high rise condo tower (27 floors?) and a hotel of about 14 floors. understandibly, the neighborhood is up in arms about the scale of the building. i've seen drawings and personally, i'm more upset about the hotel. the tower is sleek and arguably elegant. the hotel is just boxy. they've already lowered the tower's original height due to the outcry. but a shorter tower next to a boxy hotel building only makes the whole of the project look squatty. plus, the hotel would be right on boston street. no real set back from the community (like harborview is set away from, and down hill from the 'hood). like i said, i'll probably have a casual meeting with some of the developers soon...i'll find out whats what!

in other cignal news... (and no...i don't work for them)....
...back to the blockbuster video on boston street. the block buster is housed in a building that had been a boat storage facility with apartments above. cignal is converting the entire building into condos. not only is this a great use of prime real estate, but they're also re-designing the entire facade of one of the ugliest buildings around! the new design is MUCH more pleasing!!!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2006, 7:22 PM
Baltimore

Quote:
Hi. Were you Banned from the skyscraperpage website forums??
If not please let Ktulured55 know. He thinks you and others are banned.

Steve

If you could forward this to him it will be great.

Hi (Steven W) told me to write you a email. Yes I was banned from the skyscraperpage for 30 days because me and another person in my house had an account. And the administrator said only one account per computer. I don't know why the others where banned. Ours where MdHusky3417 and Bmorescottamanda. It was going to be up in a couple of days. Please don't banned me from this site.

Thank you
Scott Lawrence

Awesome.... I'm glad to know that it isn't permanent. and both of those names represent 2 of the 3 people banned. Hope to have you back soon.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2006, 7:29 PM
Baltimore

thanks for the news Q..... people complaining over only a 27 story building??? but if it's where it sounds like it will be , it will be dwarfing everything around it and should be yet another building you would be able to see from '95 (which is always a huge plus!!!) ...... I need to find some time to drive downtown and check the construction status on a few of our buildings.... anyone have pics?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2006, 2:09 AM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

I say make the icon tower taller. Say, 40 stories. Just make it really slender. That way the "views" of the water will not be blocked as bad as a wider/bulkier tower. After all, wheather the tower/towers are 15 stories or 25 stories or even 40 stories, if you're on the ground from any direction, the precious "views" will always be blocked.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2006, 1:55 PM

the current design og icon is very slender. and i agree...once its tall it doesn't really matter if its taller (20 stories or 40 stories). but at some point we have to look at the bigger picture. as much as i love tall buildings, i am more of an urban planner at heart. the icon plan is completely out of scale with its surroundings. i don't agree with tall buildings just for the sake of being tall. without zoning and planning you'll end up with a city like houston! tall...yes, but bizare and confusing to get around.

i think i'l be out and about today...i'll take my camera. i found a picture of the icon tower but wasn't able to insert it into a messege...can anyone help me through the process?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2006, 8:18 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

I agree about smart urban planning as well. But, if someone, (developer), wants to add/upgrade living conditions in Baltimore AND add jobs, AND waterfront property is getting quite used/bought up, then I say, "Hey developer! Thanks for investing in my city with such a very nicelooking quality project! Please give us your best!" Not, "Hey developer! I know it's not my land or my money, but it's my view of the water, which is FAR more important than your vision of a beautiful/tall/successful project like the ICON. So, let us tell you what you can do with your money. Because, obviously we know what's best for the community even though it means that there will fewer jobs or residents moving in."
Basically, any big project done right can be a tremendous asset to a commuinty. Awesome project done right= $$$ for everyone, not just the developer.

But, I'd love to see those pix. I'd love to see that ICON pic, too.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2006, 4:55 PM
Baltimore

Well..... the thing is... yes, it won't fit "right now" because everything else around it is shorter, but in 20 years hopefully a lot of the area will be changed and there will be more taller buildings. I agree with Steven, the taller the better in almost all aspects. It may stick out, but it helps extend our skyline more and then when the 2nd and 3rd tall buildings get built in that area it will look more natural and wont' be a big as deal. and of course the more there are (tall buildings)... the higher up in them you will have even better and more "precious" views. And of course you will have more money into the city. The bigger the better really. The more money in the city, more people ----> higher population ----> even more money .... and then can lead to -----> a metro/subway system of some sort, maybe better international flights to BWI, maybe an NBA or NHL team (since Baltimore is the biggest city witout BOTH of those major winter sports). Plus more of an opportunity to have cruise ships come to and from here. And of course all of this leads to more respect and stature for Baltimore on a national (and global) level. I'm mean look at Manhattan.... 40 stories isn't even that much.

Last edited by Ktulured55; Jun 5, 2006 at 5:01 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2006, 5:35 PM
BANNED

I'm new here but I scanned through this thread and didn't see any reference to the largish dorm complex going up at my alma mater, Johns Hopkins:

It's called Charles Commons and is on 33rd St between Charles and St. Paul (across from the Homewood Campus) and is scheduled to open this year.

Also, as this is my first post, it's a bit of a technical experiment (to get the pic in and all).

Old Posted Jun 11, 2006, 6:02 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF
I'm new here but I scanned through this thread and didn't see any reference to the largish dorm complex going up at my alma mater, Johns Hopkins:

It's called Charles Commons and is on 33rd St between Charles and St. Paul (across from the Homewood Campus) and is scheduled to open this year.

Also, as this is my first post, it's a bit of a technical experiment (to get the pic in and all).
Welcome to the Forum, BTinSF! Glad to have you.
Yes, Johns Hopkins is experiencing A LOT of growth!!!
The Bio-Park and the community it's building, too, is awesome.
I'm quite suprised there wasn't a mentioning of it.
Well, anyway, glad to have ya. Please post as often as you'd like. BTW, I'm envious of you. You're living in San Francisco? That place is awesome. I LOVE San Francisco. Can't wait to get back there one day.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations