HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Oceanwide Center I in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 7:07 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I would like the design if it was taller. I say this because it looks like there is too much going on. Its very busy in terms of the design and its height somewhat makes it look chaotic instead of orderly (aesthetic wise). Also, being bulky, it really doesn't look that good in that skyline rendering. The top also looks like the fatter sibling of the Salesforce Tower had its head cut off. I'm not a fan of the flat roof.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 7:09 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Delete

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 7:43 PM
Here we stAy

As others have said, the diagrid looks great, but the shape could use some distinction from the Salesforce Tower. Maybe incorporating that diagrid into the form/shape?

Also love that the historic "block" of buildings is staying at 1st and Mission.

One thing I couldn't tell though is if the shorter tower on Mission will be right next to the existing white highrise or if that is going. Can't tell from the schematic below, but that doesn't mean much.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 8:38 PM

We need to see larger, more detailed renderings. Keep in mind that there is a thin side to this tower as well that will look dramatically different.

Also, I think our many tapering, flat top buildings are much more the result of restrictive building codes than any architect...

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 8:40 PM
DENNAB

I love it!

So many cities in the US are going to be drastically different.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 10:09 PM

"Fat" was my first impression too, but I'd like to see what the building looks like from the north and south, which should look much slimmer.

I like what they're proposing at ground level, and it's neat to have another tower pierce the 900-foot threshold.

Here are larger versions of those renderings (pulled from here):

Copyright: TMG/Foster + Partners

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 12:13 AM

I think I might prefer the second tallest proposal over the salesforce tower. wowzers!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 12:16 AM

I love the design! It's very unique but still pays homage to Salesforce. Can't wait to see this built!

Last edited by tyleraf; Jul 24, 2014 at 2:40 AM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 12:50 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

When all of these developments finish, and all of these proposals go through (hopefully), I think SF should be nominated as having the best skyline for a city under 1 million. Fantastic renderings. Us 1440p users suffer, too small, need big.

I take back what I said about thinking it was too bulky. It was just the small resolution that was all. Now I think the bulkiness works in favor of it. Its tall as hell, and just looks like a monolith. A beast!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 1:04 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

I fucking LOVE this proposal!

An especially cool detail from socketsite--whereas the old plan was to concentrate all residential units in the shorter Mission Street tower, now both towers will be mixed use (commercial and residential).

So...the 910-footer will be the second-tallest mixed-use skyscraper in the West, after LA's Wilshire Grand, and the tallest Western tower to include residential, right?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 1:16 AM

Looks amazing. Would love to see it from the "skinny" angle before passing judgement, but I kinda like the fact it that it's "Salesforcey" in shape. The two work well together.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 1:57 AM

I wasn't swayed until minesweeper posted the high-res images. If you look closely at the first rendering you can see that the glass slants in and out with the frame. These facets appear to give it a much less Salesforcey look and a more distinct shape that could catch the light in really interesting ways.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 5:07 AM
Everywhere all at once

I like that it's fat, I'm laughing that I'm saying this but I find it refreshing. With all the pencil-thin supertalls going up in New York, I've actually become a bit nostalgic about the vast, bulky office towers of the late twentieth century. It was the city I saw as a child in the 90s and it's nothing to sneeze at.

This is an awesome design, and I think it's high time the US got some really tall starchitect towers (We can expect many in the coming years thankfully). Good on you San Francisco. One of America's most beautiful cities is about to get even prettier.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 5:31 AM

I didn't realize that the north and south sides would be so thin.. this is actually going to look really interesting on the skyline.
The bulkiness is starting to warm to me.. it is just so different for SF. I like that is isn't ashamed to be what it is- a big, bold office tower. It has a very demanding presence. And the higher res images show off more detail- the folding and collapsing of the glass skin into the exoskeleton. The top looks like it tapers inward and outward too, instead of having a clean flat top. That is pretty fresh! I think it would be perfect for a spire or two though.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 7:00 AM
Sonoma Strong

I love it! The bulkiness is great. Great contrast with Salesforce.

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 11:00 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

How much square footage does it hold?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 3:42 PM
She needs her space

No formal opinion yet (though personally I'm still underwhelmed), however, I am a little ticked that a reputable firm such as Foster + Partners uses SF backdrop pictures from 2008 for their rendering. That seems cheap to me. Instead of recycling an old skyline pic that hangs in every brokerage office in the city, spend a small amount of money and have a photographer create a new one!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 7:12 PM

The fat building shape suites the site constraints, zoning limitations and client needs as best as Foster and Partners sees works with the design. As mentioned earlier this year, the design will include super sized floor plates for office areas.

I would like to see more detailed renderings, showing how the more narrow sides of the building look especially towards the top. It looks like the building pinches in with triangular facets at the corners where the exterior lattice structure also pinches in. This could be a very attractive feature in the design I would like to see more of close up.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 7:49 PM

I like it more too, now that we can see the details better in the larger rendering. I still think it's a bit fat, but the difference seems exaggerated on the smaller renderings, which draw your focus more to the massive size in relation to most of the rest of the skyline, and not so much to the nice looking architecture.

I especially like that it doesn't seem like a completely smooth taper, but one that seems to follow the diagonal shapes of the "exoskeleton".

And I also like that diagonal bracing/exoskeletons (whatever you want to call it) seems to be becoming a trend in SF: the bottom of Transamerica, the western span of the Bay Bridge, 181 Fremont, 50 first, one maritime plaza...any others I'm forgetting?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 10:46 PM

like everyone else on here, now that I can see the details of the rendering and also knowing that it will have a slender side profile, I really like this tower. I think it slightly plays into the design of Salesforce Tower, but yet adds it's own unique vibe to the skyline as well. It's bulky east-west profile gives it an imposing silouhette to the SF skyline.
If this tower could talk it would say. "I may be the second tallest, but make no mistake about it; I am no slouch."
I actually think it would be even more imposing it it were to be the taller of the 2.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive