HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 3:59 PM

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 6:07 PM

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 3:56 PM

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 6:31 PM

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 8:39 PM

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 1:11 AM

Hollywood mega-projects could be built sooner if Gov. Brown signs measure passed Thursday

http://www.latimes.com/politics/esse...htmlstory.html

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
Hollywood mega-projects could be built sooner if Gov. Brown signs measure passed Thursday

http://www.latimes.com/politics/esse...htmlstory.html

The biggest win from this project would be the Hollywood Freeway Cap project.

And the article states "Proponents estimate it could cut three years off their construction timelines."

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally West View Post

And the article states "Proponents estimate it could cut three years off their construction timelines."
Step in the right direction, but the developments that would really benefit from something like this are the smaller "mom-and-pop," type projects that don't have the resources to survive three years of litigation. Unfortunately, it would be very expensive to expand this type of treatment to all projects.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 4:20 PM

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
Step in the right direction, but the developments that would really benefit from something like this are the smaller "mom-and-pop," type projects that don't have the resources to survive three years of litigation. Unfortunately, it would be very expensive to expand this type of treatment to all projects.
We're not getting too many of those though because our zoning is way too low on most of the city. Imagine if we upzone more single family hoods to allow 2-3 story apartments and allowed those to be fast tracked. Imagine how many units could be built. Imagine how much that could bring down rents. Imagine how much sprawl that could prevent. The environmental and socioeconomic effects would be astronomical. All we need to do is tell NIMBYs no.

Wow I'm proud this was my 1000th post.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally West View Post

Holy moly freeway cap fast track, yes please!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
We're not getting too many of those though because our zoning is way too low on most of the city. Imagine if we upzone more single family hoods to allow 2-3 story apartments and allowed those to be fast tracked. Imagine how many units could be built. Imagine how much that could bring down rents. Imagine how much sprawl that could prevent. The environmental and socioeconomic effects would be astronomical. All we need to do is tell NIMBYs no.

Honestly the zoning was correct on lots of streets throughout LA before Prop U went and screwed it all up. If you could reverse Prop U and develop high rises along the main thoroughfares and keep single-family developments in the blocks in between, I think you'd be well on your way to making a city that we could all be proud of.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMojo View Post
Honestly the zoning was correct on lots of streets throughout LA before Prop U went and screwed it all up. If you could reverse Prop U and develop high rises along the main thoroughfares and keep single-family developments in the blocks in between, I think you'd be well on your way to making a city that we could all be proud of.
Well obviously some single family neighborhood that are high up in the hills, historically significant or way far out into the Valley should retain their zoning, but there's single family areas in places like the Fairfax district and studio city that are experiencing a lot of mansionization and have little 1200 ft homes going for close to a million that should be upzoned. Upzoning these single family areas would stop mansionization and provide cheaper housing than that built along major thoroughfares. So we need to both because we need all the housing we can get.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 5:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 5:32 PM

Old news here, but I'm finally allowed to publish so...

Renderings revealed for Wilshire at Crescent Heights

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Well obviously some single family neighborhood that are high up in the hills, historically significant or way far out into the Valley should retain their zoning, but there's single family areas in places like the Fairfax district and studio city that are experiencing a lot of mansionization and have little 1200 ft homes going for close to a million that should be upzoned. Upzoning these single family areas would stop mansionization and provide cheaper housing than that built along major thoroughfares. So we need to both because we need all the housing we can get.
I'm not sure I get the idea of stopping mansionization by replacing it with giant apartment buildings? Opposition to mansions isn't because they're mansions, it's because they don't match the surrounding vibe. Apartment buildings can do that, but let's be honest, no one is building 2-story 6-plex apartment buildings that fit neighborhood character. For me I'd much rather see thoroughfares rise and neighborhoods stay small, at least for the time being.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 2:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMojo View Post
I'm not sure I get the idea of stopping mansionization by replacing it with giant apartment buildings? Opposition to mansions isn't because they're mansions, it's because they don't match the surrounding vibe. Apartment buildings can do that, but let's be honest, no one is building 2-story 6-plex apartment buildings that fit neighborhood character. For me I'd much rather see thoroughfares rise and neighborhoods stay small, at least for the time being.
Then you're not for affordable housing in the basin.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 3:17 AM

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/08/16...-billions.html

Article on the delegations for the four candidate cities for the 2024 Olympics. Rome is singled out as being particularly iffy. I read another article a day or two ago where the USOC said the IOC had been particularly wowed by Garcetti. Take it with a grain of salt but given the state of things in Europe, I'd have to think we're positioning ourselves well.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
Then you're not for affordable housing in the basin.
Thanks for dictating what I'm for and against!

I'd prefer to see multi-unit housing built over commercial storefronts on main thoroughfares, that's my personal opinion. There's an incredible amount of this city that could be done in that style without even beginning to touch single family homes in the basin. I also don't believe that it has to be all or nothing -- there are plenty of neighborhoods where large apartment buildings make sense, and there are plenty where they don't.

Anyway, this thread is about development, I'll bow out of any future argument on this issue.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMP View Post
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/08/16...-billions.html

Article on the delegations for the four candidate cities for the 2024 Olympics. Rome is singled out as being particularly iffy. I read another article a day or two ago where the USOC said the IOC had been particularly wowed by Garcetti. Take it with a grain of salt but given the state of things in Europe, I'd have to think we're positioning ourselves well.
We're lucky we have such a charasmatic mayor!

Also just saw this. Reminded me why LA is perfect for the Olympics. Almost all the venues planned to be use if we get the 2024 games already exist, and all will continue to be used after the games. http://www.techinsider.io/empty-olym...beijing-2016-8

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations