HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 11:35 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

It makes a parallelogram.

Seeing shapes and symmetry from word lists is some higher level stuff Dubu. You sir, are on a different plane of consciousness, and thats a good thing!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I'm not saying Austin is Vermont but it's a vibrant city set in a prettier area compared to Houston or Dallas and people are more connected to local natural amenities...unlike Houston and Dallas. Even Denver which is known for the Rockies is actually flat and bland and quite a bit away from the actual mountains.
I live there and agree Denver is one of ugliest cities in the U.S. The mountains an hour to the west are beautiful though.

Nowhere in the central U.S. can compare to the natural beauty of cities along the West Coast. Cities on the East Coast are also prettier because of all the forests, and New England is a scenic area.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 12:32 AM

Quote:
I'm not saying Austin is Vermont but it's a vibrant city set in a prettier area compared to Houston or Dallas and people are more connected to local natural amenities...unlike Houston and Dallas. Even Denver which is known for the Rockies is actually flat and bland and quite a bit away from the actual mountains.

As for up north, I grew up pretty close to the Adirondacks and the vast majority of people who went up north during the warmer months hunkered down for the winter. Skiing is obvious a huge attraction but nothing on the scale of camping or spending a day on the lake in July. Pretty much after peak leaf season (right about now), people retreat indoors.
Agree that it's a very vibrant city in a nice location (especially compared to Houston and Dallas on the location part). And I don't dislike Houston and Dallas... having lived in Dallas and spent tons of time in Houston, I enjoyed my time in both, and think they have more going for them than what people seem to realize (I actually prefer Houston, which people in Dallas thought I was crazy for). I'm just a real stickler for geographical location/natural surroundings when it comes to living in a certain place. Austin does that pretty well, no doubt.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Agree that it's a very vibrant city in a nice location (especially compared to Houston and Dallas on the location part). And I don't dislike Houston and Dallas... having lived in Dallas and spent tons of time in Houston, I enjoyed my time in both, and think they have more going for them than what people seem to realize (I actually prefer Houston, which people in Dallas thought I was crazy for). I'm just a real stickler for geographical location/natural surroundings when it comes to living in a certain place. Austin does that pretty well, no doubt.
I'm personally a big fan of the hilly inland river cities like Louisville, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh. Very underrated from a scenic natural surroundings perspective IMO.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 2:44 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
As a farseeing prophet faithful to Christ, I can tell!

Oklahoma state will be the trendiest spot on Earth, with the sexiest fashion, plenty of great looking sweet women, fanciest restaurants and hotels and all!

An old man at the Port Authority with no mask whispered into my ear that once Yellowstone Erupts, the plume of migrating smoke will force Chicagoans to move South, to escape the plume and ash and that they would relocate to Wichita. The old man also said, who also btw claimed he was one of the 7 horseman, said that after numerous Category 6 Hurricanes, Houstonians decided to migrate to Oklahoma City and skipped over Dallas over a football dispute.

2 weeks later, I got Covid, but I learned something from the old man. That even with a super volcano eruption, the Dallas/Houston feud doesn't stop.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 5:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWant2BeInSTL View Post
not sure what this means... OKC is nice but we're talking 655K people spread over 600 square miles. any top 10 ranking would be due to favorably drawn boundaries.
Most of that 600 square miles is empty nothingness, where it has developed its in the 2100 ppsm range using old 2010 information. that puts it ahead of a place like Cincinnati and not far below Providence and Boston around the 2200 ppsm tier. if the empty areas within the city limits develop at 2200 ppsm, the city will be close to 1.3 million without annexing additional land areas. it might take decades but is possible.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 5:32 PM
Never Dell

That plus another few million would be an urban density.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 7:17 PM
BANNED

City propers: did anybody predict that Houston, Phoenix, San Antonio, San Diego, Dallas or San Jose would be in the top 10 back in 1940? San Jose is about to be knocked out of the top 10 by Austin. In the very near future, Texas will have 5 cities in the top 10. Ft. Worth is nearing 10th place right now and is about to cross into the million person city club. San Antonio is about to move ahead of Philadelphia. Oklahoma City will pass Detroit and El Paso real soon. While growing modestly now, it could enter the 20-25% growth range this coming decade like has been happening with Denver, San Antonio, Austin, Ft. Worth, Charlotte, Atlanta, Seattle.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 7:29 PM
BANNED

here's a nice urban canyon to expand off of as the city grows.

https://goo.gl/maps/bCJXFr6wjjNfQCgs6

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 2:26 PM

^^ Thought that was NYC for a sec with all the people walking around.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 2:54 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Stoked Brah View Post
City propers: did anybody predict that Houston, Phoenix, San Antonio, San Diego, Dallas or San Jose would be in the top 10 back in 1940? San Jose is about to be knocked out of the top 10 by Austin. In the very near future, Texas will have 5 cities in the top 10. Ft. Worth is nearing 10th place right now and is about to cross into the million person city club. San Antonio is about to move ahead of Philadelphia. Oklahoma City will pass Detroit and El Paso real soon. While growing modestly now, it could enter the 20-25% growth range this coming decade like has been happening with Denver, San Antonio, Austin, Ft. Worth, Charlotte, Atlanta, Seattle.
I don't think anyone is saying it's completely impossible, but I think a better question would be: Does it matter? I mean, in terms of city proper population San Francisco is 16th. Washington and Boston are 20th and 21st. Detroit is 24th. Atlanta is 37th. Miami is 42nd. Minneapolis is 46th. Tampa is 48th. Cleveland is 53rd. St. Louis and Pittsburgh are 65th and 66th. Orlando is 71st. Hell, Salt Lake City is 115th, just below Oxnard, CA and Port St. Lucie, FL. Do you know anyone anywhere who uses the placement of those cities in that list as a metric for overall city might and importance? I doubt it. I'm saying all this not to belittle OKC at all, but just to say, I think you're asking the wrong questions.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 3:04 PM

Quote:
City propers: did anybody predict that Houston, Phoenix, San Antonio, San Diego, Dallas or San Jose would be in the top 10 back in 1940? San Jose is about to be knocked out of the top 10 by Austin. In the very near future, Texas will have 5 cities in the top 10.
No, Texas currently has two cities in the Top 10, and that won't change in any of our lifetimes.

San Jose is a suburb and San Antonio is a minor metro.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 4:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
No, Texas currently has two cities in the Top 10, and that won't change in any of our lifetimes.

We're talking about city propers. Texas has 3 in the top 10 and will have 5 in the top 10 probably by 2021 and San Jose will be knocked out of the top 10.

#4 Houston 2.3 million
#7 San Antonio 1.7 million
#9 Dallas 1.3 million; 12% growth over 9 years

#10 San Jose 1 million; 8% growth over 9 years

#11 Austin 970,000; 24% growth over 9 years
#13 Ft. Worth 910,000; 23% growth over 9 years

In a decade or two Ft. Worth could be larger than Dallas.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 5:29 PM

Quote:
We're talking about city propers. Texas has 3 in the top 10 and will have 5 in the top 10 probably by 2021 and San Jose will be knocked out of the top 10.

#4 Houston 2.3 million
#7 San Antonio 1.7 million
#9 Dallas 1.3 million; 12% growth over 9 years

#10 San Jose 1 million; 8% growth over 9 years

#11 Austin 970,000; 24% growth over 9 years
#13 Ft. Worth 910,000; 23% growth over 9 years

In a decade or two Ft. Worth could be larger than Dallas.
A lot of cities could just amalgamate with nearby municipalities and form a city large enough to be in the top 10.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 6:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
A lot of cities could just amalgamate with nearby municipalities and form a city large enough to be in the top 10.
They could. Anything could happen in the next 50 years. I don't think there are too many suburbs that want to give up their localized services to join the anchor city at this time.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
We're talking about city propers.
Which is a meaningless stat, because every state has different annexation rules. A city, as a concept, is a state-specific creation.

Again, TX has two Top 10 cities, and that isn't changing anytime soon. No one thinks San Antonio is a major city.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 10:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Which is a meaningless stat, because every state has different annexation rules. A city, as a concept, is a state-specific creation.

Again, TX has two Top 10 cities, and that isn't changing anytime soon. No one thinks San Antonio is a major city.
you quoted my post which specifically stated city propers. I corrected you once and now you come back yet again for a second round. not to repeat, but to repeat: you're wrong, tx currently has 3 and will soon have 5 cities in the top 10. this was made clear by myself on the first page, third post. i'm guessing you didn't bother to read.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 11:23 PM

Quote:

Calling San Antonio a minor metro is taking it too far. It's just not elite either.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 5:39 AM

To answer the OP question I highly doubt OKC ever reach the top 10 in our lifetime. It would need to have Austin style growth just to keep up.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 1:02 PM

Quote:
I moved from Dallas to Denver in 2006 and the Denverites played up their city like it was some kind of utopian paradise. They made it seem like the mountains were all right outside every doorstep. They tend to talk about the climate as comparable to Southern California. They compared the urbanism and nightlife to San Francisco or Miami. They described the traffic is far better than Los Angeles or Atlanta. They described people as friendly as Mississippians but as cosmopolitan as New Yorkers.

Virtually none of that was true. As you mentioned the city itself is flat and the undeveloped areas are largely treeless, barren plains. The mountains can be SEEN in the distance and they do indeed look pretty when there is snow on them, but to get to them involves an hour or so of bumper-to-bumper on I-70. The climate is NOTHING like SoCal, otherwise Denver would be crawling with palm trees, jacarandas, and flowers blooming in January. Denver has a nice day here or there in the winter, but they also have BITTER cold days where the high temperature is below zero fahrenheit. What good is a sunny day when it's 9 degrees outside? Are you going to go biking or have a picnic in THAT kind of weather? Give me a break. The urbanism is solid and there are a few vibrant areas like Cap Hill and LoDo, but again, Denver does not compare to top-tier cities as far as their nightlife and cultural scene. The traffic was every bit as bad as Los Angeles (where I lived for 4 years after I left Colorado). The people ranged from nice, cultured, progressive folk to the worst kinds of arrogant Status Quo Warriors imaginable. Typical of an average city with average metrics.

I've lived in other cities that sat near the middle of a lot of these qualities before, but none of them contained anywhere near the same amount of people who pretend their city is the best place on Earth as Denver. Even Dallas, famous for being full of people who think it's better than it is, does not compare. And where I live now, in Houston, people are so much more down to Earth. They know the pluses and minuses of their city. They love it despite its warts. They don't care if YOU like it or not, they are who they are. I'd love to see Denverites adopt more of this attitude.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions