HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 2:11 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Yeah HI is a little cheaper (and also a better location... and Cafecito is an amazing place to eat). I've had hit or miss experiences with hostels, although HI is usually pretty good. If not for COVID and the fact that I don't know if I'll have it furnished in time or not, I'd probably offer you my spare bedroom :-p.
yeah hostels can be great. i remember i stayed at one in chicago one time in between staying with friends and enjoyed the convenience.

in nyc the hi nyc hostel on the uws is huge and very nice and a fun experience. unlike some hostels, they also have private rooms. there are many others around the city too of varying quality.

back in the day i used to be a big hosteler and even helped open one. contrary to popular belief the usa actually has a lot of hostels scattered around. some are in really cool settings and are great experiences. some are very mediocre or even sus though. so yes when in doubt best to stick with hi approved.

https://www.hihostels.com

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 7:56 PM

Yes, San Francisco has them:

Pod Room O'Farrell St Union Square, San Francisco

https://www.hotels.com/ho717374848/p...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

One proposed project raied a few eyebrows at the Planning Dept. because it wanted to put small regular rooms above ground and these things in multiple windowless basement levels. This was just too class-stratified for SF.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 9:27 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Yeah HI is a little cheaper (and also a better location... and Cafecito is an amazing place to eat). I've had hit or miss experiences with hostels, although HI is usually pretty good. If not for COVID and the fact that I don't know if I'll have it furnished in time or not, I'd probably offer you my spare bedroom :-p.
Cool, I’ll try Cafecito when I’m there.

And researching more about HI hostels has increased my interest in traveling to more places on a good budget.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 7:26 AM

how about a tiny hotel without windows? I was looking at one in London once and it had a cheaper room cause it had no windows to the outside. they were very small rooms to begin with, I think I would pay extra to have a window.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 9:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
how about a tiny hotel without windows? I was looking at one in London once and it had a cheaper room cause it had no windows to the outside. they were very small rooms to begin with, I think I would pay extra to have a window.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Yes, San Francisco has them:

Pod Room O'Farrell St Union Square, San Francisco

https://www.hotels.com/ho717374848/p...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

One proposed project raied a few eyebrows at the Planning Dept. because it wanted to put small regular rooms above ground and these things in multiple windowless basement levels. This was just too class-stratified for SF.
How is the ventilation in these windowless pod rooms? I would worry about lack of oxygen and buildup of carbon dioxide.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
yes good call -- i stayed there too in the 80s. highly recommended. you forgot to mention the best part -- you get access to the great ymca gym and pool there. quite a bargain if you don't mind staying in a dorm type setting. it was very clean and well run and i have seen still gets good reviews.
RE: Vanderbilt YMCA

I was too busy visiting the NYC sights to utilize the gyms etc. After breakfast I would be gone until night. Great location, short walk to Grand Central Station, Rock. Center, U.N., etc. From GC Station you could take the subway practically anywhere. Those were the days when the city was still gritty and edgy. Lots of grafitti on the subway and 42nd St./Times Sq. area was filled with scuzzy peep shows etc. But the museums and sights of NYC were great. Imagine if I had bought a city condo or coop back then (cheap in those days). I'd be rich. The cleanup of NYC started soon after I visited in 1978. I revisited in 1984 and gentrification/cleanup was well underway. The old Commodore Hotel above GCS was being turned into the Grand Hyatt etc.

Last edited by CaliNative; Oct 15, 2020 at 9:41 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions