HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 9:29 PM

500 metres? That's over 1600 feet.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 10:28 PM
Ω

In my experience, New Yorkers in general are not very fond of 432 Park Ave. Architects are more forgiving because many have a soft spot for the unrelenting Modernism. If this new Vinoly tower is built as is depicted now, imo the people will pretty much loathe it. It's 432 Park part deux but with an even less attractive silhouette.

Vinoly is starting to become infamous after what he did to London with the Walkie Talkie.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I believe Viñoly, MdeAS, and Gensler are architects.

Gensler is probably doing the interiors, as they're a pretty common office architect. MdeAS does glass tower exteriors. Viñoly will probably be the name architect.
Ahh. I believe one of the renderings I saw credited Gensler that's why I assumed such. Viñoly would make more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Maybe we should call it the J Lo tower then.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 11:26 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Its a thicker 432 Park.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 11:32 PM

Gensler is a major architecture firm, they just haven't done many of the high-profile NYC buildings (they were just announced as the lead architects for a 2,073 ft tower in Shenzhen https://www.designboom.com/architect...re-09-06-2016/). They do some really great work, but they also need to design for the tastes of their client, and, well, it appears that Harry has a type...

Does anyone understand what level of approval this building needs? It's doesn't conform with the Midtown East Zoning Amendment, so they are going to need some sort of variance to get it built, I'm just not sure who has the final say on that. In either case, that process could definitely lead to changes in design. I don't imagine that the city is going to directly ask for a redesign of the crown or anything like that, but I could see them pushing back on the stilts at the base (they seem to be fighting this all over the city), which could lead to a redesign that coincidentally ends up with a better crown.

As for my two cents on the design, I really don't like the silhouette it creates.

I actually do like 432 Park a lot. It doesn't have a skyline-defining form like the ESB or even Steinway, but it's a super creative play on the classic modernist design in that it appears like a boxy internationalist building at first, but actually is formed out of a concrete net as an exoskeleton that leaves hollow sections to create cool fragments when the light shines through. I think one might want more out of a signature building that dwarfs the rest of the skyline, but soon it won't dwarf the rest of the skyline and at that point it's unique form will be a nice addition among a group of similar-sized towers.

Tower Fifth doesn't appear to have any of the same elegance, though. I do like the base, but the proportions seem crude to me and the top seems like an afterthought. I would also like the approvals process to force them to rethink this a bit.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
Not liking the square windows, I dislike 432 Park for the same reason.
This! - The reason I'm not at fan of both of these by themselves.

BUT, after thinking more, I think that these towers together will somehow overcome their individual ugliness.
I think Tower Fifth will make 432 look better by no longer sticking up like a sore thumb alone there, and vice versa.

If they only were a bit closer to each other... At least it will help when looking at the skyline from a distance

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 1:06 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I checked the CTBUH, and this tower is now added.

Shame 80 South isn't going anywhere, because it would actually be the 2nd tallest proposal (assuming 270 Park goes the shorter route and not the 1,556 ft route). If shorter, it would still be 2nd tallest proposal. If JP Morgan goes taller route, tallest tower to roof in NYC. On a side note, I do hope a nice crown or some sort of architectural element is added on 270 Park. May boost that number slightly.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 1:09 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoM Trespasser View Post
500 metres? That's over 1600 feet.
I read that too. I hope thats not a typo!

It would be 1640 ft! But I guess until we see permits or schematics, still can't complain about 1,551/1,556 ft.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 1:13 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Macklowe: Tower Fifth would be New York’s only “21st-century building”

Quote:
Recently-divorced octogenarian Harry Macklowe is chasing another chance to forever alter the Manhattan skyline.

Plans for his Midtown office tower show an ambitious project that aims to be the second-tallest building in the Western Hemisphere. The supertall, named Tower Fifth, would stand at 1,551 feet tall.

The project, poised to be a coda to Macklowe’s career, would be 216 feet shy of One World Trade Center’s roofline (and 1 foot taller than Gary Barnett’s forthcoming Central Park Tower). But getting it to the finish line won’t be an easy feat.

The tower will face a length public review process. The developer is asking for special permits, zoning changes and approvals to build a project that is 66 percent bigger than allowed under current zoning, according to the New York Times. It could also encroach on five landmark buildings — the Look Building, two townhouses, Rockefeller Center and St. Patrick’s Cathedral — so it will need approval by the Landmarks Preservation Commission.

It’s an ambitious project, even by Macklowe’s standards: It would cost billions of dollars and include a pricey, energy-efficient face. The project would also have tenant amenities — a lap, yoga room and multilevel running track — and the city’s tallest observatory. Visitors to the observatory would be able to descend down a transparent, 60-foot corkscrew slide. The building, midblock between East 51st and East 52nd Streets, would have a tapered midsection that will prop up the height of the floors below.

If approved, Tower Fifth would surpass the height of Macklowe’s other prominent supertall, 432 Park Avenue. But the magnitude of the project has drawn critics — and the developer’s team has already held preliminary meetings with the city’s Planning Department, the LPC and the local community board. Moed de Armas & Shannon Architects and Gensler are the enlisted architects.

Dan Garodnick, a former city council member who played a key role in the city’s rezoning of East Midtown for taller towers, was taken aback by Macklowe’s plan.

“This project goes way beyond what is allowed to be built,” he told the Times. “And it needs to be carefully scrutinized in a detailed public review.”

In Macklowe’s view, the city’s landscape has simply changed.

“Tall buildings are a reality,” he told the Times. “The days of restrictions on buildings are really over. This is a building that’s never been built before, a 21st-century building.”
=======================================
https://therealdeal.com/2019/01/22/m...tury-building/

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 4:40 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
In my experience, New Yorkers in general are not very fond of 432 Park Ave.
I don't know about that. In my experience, the people who don't care for 432 Park don't care for any of the other new slender tall towers either because they see them as for the "super rich". But 432 doesn't offer anything for the public other than retail at the base, which last I saw wasn't fully open. This tower will offer more, including the chance to get up to those open levels and walk or slide out into and over the skyline. People who are afraid of heights won't dig it. But like the original World Trade Center, whose design was nothing to write home about other than height, the observation deck will make it more personable, and therefore relatable and likable, even if it doesn't look like the classic New York skyscraper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Norwegian View Post
BUT, after thinking more, I think that these towers together will somehow overcome their individual ugliness.
I think Tower Fifth will make 432 look better by no longer sticking up like a sore thumb alone there, and vice versa.
I don't think it will be like 432 Park at all, other than the open mechanical spaces. I think some of you may be projecting more onto the rendering. We have to wait to get an actual rendering with facade details. From what I have seen so far, it has more in common with Central Park Tower than 432 Park.

https://www.bisnow.com/new-york/news...-midtown-96976

The Latest Supertall Pitched For Manhattan Is 1,551 Feet Tall And Will Have A See-Through Slide

January 22, 2019
Miriam Hall

Quote:
The developer who built the tallest residential building in the Western Hemisphere (for now) has submitted plans for a massive office tower across from St. Patrick’s Cathedral, which he hopes will reshape the city’s skyline.

...Macklowe Properties has assembled a mid-block plot between East 51st and 52nd streets for what he is calling “Tower Fifth,” which, at 1,551 feet, it would be the second-tallest in both New York City and the entire Western Hemisphere. Macklowe Properties founder Harry Macklowe filed preliminary plans with the Department of City Planning Friday, The New York Times reports.

The building would feature “unusual elements” according to the publication, citing people who have seen the plans. It would have a tapered midsection and an observatory on the top floors. The mass-damper in the building, a device that reduces sway in skyscrapers, would be on display with a seismograph. Macklowe also plans to include a 60-foot, glass-bottomed slide in the observation deck, similar to the popular attraction the Skyslide at U.S. Bank Tower in Los Angeles.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 5:36 AM
DENNAB

I like the second rendering and the prospect of 500+ meters

If built this'll be insane, I take it it has somewhat of a chance given the developer behind it?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 11:54 AM
BANNED

The Bisnow article refers to a tapered midsection, so I wonder if the north facade has one or more setbacks.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 12:23 PM

Can this reach more thane 1600ft ???

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 2:16 PM

"216 feet shy of 1 WTC's roofline"

Now I've heard it all.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 3:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
"216 feet shy of 1 WTC's roofline"

Now I've heard it all.
The article says: "The proposed building will be 216 feet taller than One World Trade Center..."

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/new-york/news...medium=Browser

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 4:35 PM

Why do architects design buildings that look like they're broken? Not every design element has to be symmetrical, there is room to be creative. But a building should look like a cohesive thought. What is motivating this?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 5:21 PM
New Yorker for life

Got these renders from

https://www.6sqft.com/application-fi...rn-hemisphere/

Resized a bit...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 5:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Gensler confirms the slightly higher height...

https://www.gensler.com/projects/tower-fifth?l=all

Quote:
Located just north of St. Patrick’s Cathedral, east of Fifth Avenue between 51st and 52nd Streets, Tower Fifth will rank as the second tallest building not only in New York, but in the Western Hemisphere.

Climbing 1,556 feet above Manhattan, the 1.3-million-gross-square-foot tower creates a new paradigm for how a supertall structure meets the street and interacts with its neighbors. Its ground floor glass-enclosed public galleria spans the entire block, framing views of St. Patrick’s Cathedral while extending the civic realm into the building footprint, leading visitors to shops, a food hall, and an auditorium.

At the top of the tower, the city’s highest observatory grants unprecedented views and features an array of unique experiential, cultural, and entertainment experiences within a public observatory. The office floors feature 960,000 square feet of tenant space and amenities focused on wellness.

Tower Fifth is wrapped in an innovative, energy-efficient Closed Cavity Facade system which reduces solar heat gain by more than 70%. It will be the first deployment of this type of system in North America.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 8:09 PM

With 1,556 feet tall, we have the second tallest building in the Western Hemisphere, but with a spire and 2,000 feet tall we will have the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 8:41 PM

The latest renderings look better. It’s really only the top of this that looks bad, and that will hopefully be tweaked.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals